Trek Rail battery rattle fix

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Not sure if others have found this, but my battery would ever-so-slightly rattle on bumpy action. Just at the lock/catch.

I had to use two of these high density adhesive foam pads to fill the gap but it works an absolute treat. Dead silent and a cheap fix.

I’m not sure if there’s an adjustment for the latch or not but this works...

CB92B822-61FA-4574-9DC5-165A9A19BB6B.jpeg

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I've noticed a clicking sound that I think comes from the battery compartment on my Trek Powerfly.
Today I wrapped a cable tie around it to try and eliminate the sound and it seemed to work for a few miles - going to try something similar to what you've done tomorrow.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
Just to update, this didn't fix the rattle. I then checked and the screws holding the battery dock were loose so I tightened those. Still there. I thought maybe it was the internal cables, but suspect it's just the noise of the Bosch Gen4 that reviewers are talking about! I didn't realise this was what it sounded like.

Certainly not an issue I can't live with, but was trying to narrow it down.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
Is your noise similar to a cable slapping the frame? This is what mine sounds like.
I believe its the battery compartment as it seems to come from this area.
Also if I grab the frame a push the battery hard into it's recess while riding the noise appears to stop, however I can't reproduce while stationary as it's caused by vibration.
I've used some self adhesive pads on the bottom and the rear of the battery to try and stop it but not found a position that stops it entirely.
Like you I'm not too bothered if it's just a rattle but it's so innocuous it seems like it should be simple to isolate and address.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
It does sound like it’s in the down tube yes, and the way I did the battery there’s no way it’s that now. It’s solid! The 4 cables can rattle if I slap them so going to silicone them down and see....

Tat0

Dec 30, 2019
Italy
I saw a video where a trek with 4th gen bosch had a noise problem and to show that problem the owner simply pulled the chain angagin the freewhel in the motor. If i found the video i will link it.
They were discussing about a noise due to "chain pull" during rear ammo strokes.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Anybody has new intel on this?
My Trek 9.7 sounds really annoying when I go fast over rough stuff. A kind of clunking sound coming either from the downtube or the motor/bottom bracket area.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
If its the battery rattling you should be able to just give the down tube a thump with you hand and hear the rattle. My powerfly did it, I put some thin strips of foam (cut from a kick board, swimming) either side in the down tube, it helps reduce the battery movement.
I did a few adjustments on the giant trance my wife rides, it started rattling quite a lot also.

ronianash

Mar 27, 2020
Squamish, BC
If its the battery rattling you should be able to just give the down tube a thump with you hand and hear the rattle. My powerfly did it, I put some thin strips of foam (cut from a kick board, swimming) either side in the down tube, it helps reduce the battery movement.
I did a few adjustments on the giant trance my wife rides, it started rattling quite a lot also.

Can you post up some pics of this Shane? Thanks.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
I got a trek rail 7 over 700 miles now and that motor is getting louder sounds like a bag of nails going downhill silent when pedalling I'm getting that clunking noise if I just bounce the back wheel on the ground as well gone through the bike everything is tight etc hope Bosch comes up with a fix soon

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
It's the motor on my trail 7 it's getting really loud now at just over 700 miles on the bike

mtndug

May 21, 2020
Ashland Oregon, USA
My 9.8 has some noise on steep descents, especially any washboard conditions-I'm not sure if it's the front fender, the quadlock with phone or the battery case. It only occurs on the steeps and I'm not a good enough rider to go one handed to see if pressing the battery stops it. It's going to my LBS for its initial checkup next week so I'll inquire about it if I've not sussed it out by then.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
The clanking noise is definitely the motor the clutch plate I think there's loads on this topic different bike manufacturers all using the gen 4 motor have the same problem if I heard how bad the noise was I wouldn't have bought the rail my sound like a bag of nails when freewheeling over bumps

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Can you post up some pics of this Shane? Thanks.

A bit late I know but here is a pic of how i stopped my battery rattling. I have a strip both sides so battery is heald firm, cant m

Attachments

• 20200602_202909.jpg
    20200602_202909.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 2,930
  • 20200602_202931.jpg
    20200602_202931.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 2,068

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
I had loads of noise on my rail 7 turned out all it was was the rear cassette was slightly loose I took it off cleaned it up put it back on and now the bike is lovely and silent it's like a different bike couldn't believe how much noise it made?

ronianash

Mar 27, 2020
Squamish, BC
I had loads of noise on my rail 7 turned out all it was was the rear cassette was slightly loose I took it off cleaned it up put it back on and now the bike is lovely and silent it's like a different bike couldn't believe how much noise it made?
Mine does't look like it will move in any direction.

IMG_5153.jpg

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
It will very slightly it's all you need I put a post up on here about mine when the battery was in place there was a slightly bigger gap from the frame at the top on the battery cover than the bottom when I jiggled the lock about tightened it back up it closed the gap up so it was even all the way down the frame and the bike was fine after that

ronianash

Mar 27, 2020
Squamish, BC
It will very slightly it's all you need I put a post up on here about mine when the battery was in place there was a slightly bigger gap from the frame at the top on the battery cover than the bottom when I jiggled the lock about tightened it back up it closed the gap up so it was even all the way down the frame and the bike was fine after that
can you show me in my photo exactly what screws I need to take out? The two silver screws on each side?

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Yes just loosen them off a bit there is only a small amount of movement but that all it takes tightened them back up and all was good but you might need to try it a few times it doesn't need much moving

LeeSeb83

Jun 1, 2020
Cornwall
Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow!
Has this worked at all? I've noticing a slightly larger gap at the top of the battery than the bottom and am getting some cable slap noise intermittently when going over rough ground. It almost sounds as if it's coming from the top near the stem.

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
Have you guys checked out the stickied post from Doomanic which has a Trek document that describes how to check & adjust the battery fitment? It worked for me in my Powerfly. Rather easy to do but you do need a security torq driver

LeeSeb83

Jun 1, 2020
Cornwall
I think I’ve found the source of my annoying battery chatter. I initially thought it was cable slap so secured them all with tape and a small amount of foam but got no improvement. Then I made sure all the screws I could see within the battery compartment weren’t loose but still - chatter chatter chatter.

I rode the bike up and down my road without the battery and the sound was gone.
Tightened the battery screws, put back in the bike - chatter chatter chatter.

Finally had a good look at RIB locking system and noticed a lot of play from side to side in the spring loaded metal bar that disengages when you turn the key.
Bingo! There’s the issue.

My questions are:
Has anyone else had this and come up with a solution?
Does anyone know if this a user serviceable part that can be replaced?

Cheers

37B86FD2-DA79-4B93-99A5-40FC14D7DD1E.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles