Trek rail 5 free hub bearing collapsed

Gazman233

Apr 4, 2020
Shropshire um
Has any one had this problem before ? Free hub bearing has collapsed trek rail 5 , only thing I do is take the wheel off the bike for storage bikes brand new ... lbs have ordered me a new one foc as in warranty but was worried it might be down to me tremoving the wheel daily ... any input and help appreciated thankyou guys ?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Has any one had this problem before ? Free hub bearing has collapsed trek rail 5 , only thing I do is take the wheel off the bike for storage bikes brand new ... lbs have ordered me a new one foc as in warranty but was worried it might be down to me tremoving the wheel daily ... any input and help appreciated thankyou guys ?
No problem taking wheel on and off, just make sure your not doing the axle yo too tight, should only be about 12 nm

Gazman233

Apr 4, 2020
Shropshire um
Might be a silly question but how do you know it's collapsed. Is it something I need to keep an eye on my Rail 5. Thanks.
Because I stripped it down to the bearing earlier without removing bearing ... had to order a new one , bearing feels horrible and grinding and spinning of wheel is very rough

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
Because I stripped it down to the bearing earlier without removing bearing ... had to order a new one , bearing feels horrible and grinding and spinning of wheel is very rough
I'll monitor mine. I'm sure I heard a rough noise when I was cleaning it the other day. I'll have a better look tomorrow. My LBS isn't doing repairs at the moment so I hope it hangs on if it is.

Djlcater

Mar 22, 2020
Uk
I had mine replaced after only a few rides under warranty, the wheels aren’t the best but an easy upgrade. I have some carbon line 30’s on mine now!

Cummins0867

Dec 23, 2020
New Hampsire
Same here....I had mine replaced under warranty after 300 miles of use. I really don't ride it that had. My LBS said it is very rare that the Hub and bearing go bad.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I had some issues with the freehub and solved the problem with new wheels in the end.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles