Fuel EXe Trek fuel exe range extender battery availability?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I have a couple of questions on fuel exe batteries:-

1. Does anyone have any ideas when the fuel exe range extender battery will be available to buy (in the UK specifically,but I guess people in other regions will also want to know)? I asked various shops and none of them have any anticipated date , despite their websites saying stock available in November 22.

2. Are there plans to make different size range extenders available, I like the concept of the 160wh extender , sized as such so it can go on planes, but a 250wh one would also be good.

3. any views on when the internal battery will be available to buy?

Not sure whether these questions are for @Roman or @Mitch@Trek .

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

1. Does anyone have any ideas when the fuel exe range extender battery will be available to buy (in the UK specifically,but I guess people in other regions will also want to know)? I asked various shops and none of them have any anticipated date , despite their websites saying stock available in November 22.

2. Are there plans to make different size range extenders available, I like the concept of the 160wh extender , sized as such so it can go on planes, but a 250wh one would also be good.

I ordered my range extender in July and was told it would be here in November. I still don’t have it.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

I guess the answer to Q1 is not soon, judging by the silence on this from those that would know.

wonder what the problem is?

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Not sure if this is an anomaly given I only have one ride on the bike…

Went on my initial ride on my new Fuel 9.8 XT. Hustled through tight, leaf-covered root-fill single-track forest. Stayed in Eco the entire ride (Max 249W, assist 158% & response around 85%). Strava said I did 8.03mi, 1:05:55, 430ft. But my battery went from an indicated 90% at the start to an indicated 30% at finish. Wow. Burned way more battery than I was anticipating.

And now my Trek app dashboard reads 14.3 miles and 6 hours??? After riding about an hour???

Guess I need to order a battery extender...

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA

Went on my initial ride on my new Fuel 9.8 XT. Hustled through tight, leaf-covered root-fill single-track forest. Stayed in Eco the entire ride (Max 249W, assist 158% & response around 85%). Strava said I did 8.03mi, 1:05:55, 430ft. But my battery went from an indicated 90% at the start to an indicated 30% at finish. Wow. Burned way more battery than I was anticipating.

And now my Trek app dashboard reads 14.3 miles and 6 hours??? After riding about an hour???

They say the first ride will be less range than typical.

From the Fuel EXe FAQ: “Please note that the battery will only last to about 15% capacity the first time it is depleted. So don’t be alarmed if the range on your first ride is a little shorter than expected. After the first full depletion and subsequent charging, the battery management system will “learn” what it needs to know and will deplete all the way to 0% on future rides.”

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Those are pretty high settings for eco mode,not surprised you used a lot of battery if it was set to 158% assist and max 249w. Those settings are not far off how i have the max mode set

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Seems like the availability date for the range extender has gone out to march 2023

If this is an accurate date ,its not good for a bike that was released in june this year, to have to wait another 9 months to get a feature that was advertised at launch.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Bit of a bait and switch. Same battery and connector for all the TQ bike brands coming on board? Maybe you can get one from another brand for a better deal? Just thinking out loud.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Bit of a bait and switch. Same battery and connector for all the TQ bike brands coming on board? Maybe you can get one from another brand for a better deal? Just thinking out loud.
I asked tq and trek directly today, the range extender is not expected to be available until march 10th 2023.

Tq said that in the uk all tq spares must be ordered through trek as they are handling distribution in the uk, but in europe any bike dealer can order parts direct from tq via their b2b website, but either way range extenders wont be available until march 10th 2023. Dont know what the sitution is in the rest of world.

Last edited:

senergy

Nov 9, 2022
Sydney
Hopefully Australia gets a decent amount first like we did the bike.
I'd like to jump on the plane with my bike but can't until the range extender is available

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
One mans range extender is another mans anxiety reducer. My Husqvarna FE 501 gets between 35 and 70 mpg.....depending on what 'mode' its in.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I've given up waiting and just bought another full size 360wh battery.

Yesterday I asked my local trek dealer what the system was saying for availability, they said 4th April.

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
Does anyone have any actual experience swapping out to a second battery during a ride? Is it a reasonably painless process or is it a pain in the butt? I really liked the test ride I took on the exe but the range with that little battery is horrible. I’m thinking that maybe, with a second 360 for a total of 720 I could still do the kind of rides I’m used to on my Giant Trance with its 620 in trail mode, even putting the exe in boost for a similar assist feel.

It’s a clunky solution forcing you to wear a full pack on rides rather than a butt pack but it might work. $750 usd for the full battery vs $600 for the tiny extender.

Corridor 8-Military Pond-Mud Pond Road Loop

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Does anyone have any actual experience swapping out to a second battery during a ride? Is it a reasonably painless process or is it a pain in the butt? I really liked the test ride I took on the exe but the range with that little battery is horrible. I’m thinking that maybe, with a second 360 for a total of 720 I could still do the kind of rides I’m used to on my Giant Trance with its 620 in trail mode, even putting the exe in boost for a similar assist feel.

It’s a clunky solution forcing you to wear a full pack on rides rather than a butt pack but it might work. $750 usd for the full battery vs $600 for the tiny extender.

Corridor 8-Military Pond-Mud Pond Road Loop
Yeah,it's just two bolts, disconnect the power cable,slide the old battery out, new battery in, reconnect cable,put two bolts back in . Takes 5 mins.

shure2

Nov 3, 2022
New Zealand
So very close in price to the RRP of the range extender plus the cable and strap then?
A friend got a price from Torpedo 7 for a replacement 360Wh battery and it was $2k. I can get away with 500Wh total but if you need 700Wh total it's pricey...

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
A friend got a price from Torpedo 7 for a replacement 360Wh battery and it was $2k. I can get away with 500Wh total but if you need 700Wh total it's pricey...
That is pricey! $2k NZD = just over £1000!

It only cost me £538 for the battery inc end caps & handle

senergy

Nov 9, 2022
Sydney
I spoke to Trek Australia last week and the range extender is on a boat from EU to USA right now, after which they will go on another bike to AU, estimate is May in Australia.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I spoke to Trek Australia last week and the range extender is on a boat from EU to USA right now, after which they will go on another bike to AU, estimate is May in Australia.
some shops in the UK are saying it will be available in june

1678176763511.png

1678176981613.png

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It seems like the range extender is now available, a few UK shops are showing it as in stock,and someone on Facebook now has one

Psythepie

Nov 28, 2022
UK
Just checked in with my dealer (UK) & the due date for mine is showing as 23rd April or thereabouts so has slipped another month.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just checked in with my dealer (UK) & the due date for mine is showing as 23rd April or thereabouts so has slipped another month.
Blazing bikes say they have stock now,so might be worth cancelling with your dealer and ordering from them instead.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles