Transporting with Front Wheel Removed and Refitting

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
As my new eMTB is larger than my old analogue, I now have to remove the Front Wheel to transport in my vehicle

I just lay the bike on it's side in the cargo area
Not enough height to transport upright
Should I be doing anything specific when transporting like this ?
Should I fit the 'Kabolt' axle or not ?
Do you need to put a Brake Pad Spacer in ?

When I get to trails, or home, what's the easiest / best method for refitting the wheel ?

Thanks !

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I used to do that in the back of my Merc estate with an XL Levo. No need to put axle in, or brake spacer, I found. I kept the Maxle with its allen key in the cargo net pouch so it was always to hand, and also so I wouldn't drive off without it. I used to put a sheet over the bike so the front wheel wouldn't scratch anything, when laid over the bike.
Simply hold bike by stem as if the front wheel were already in, and lift wheel up into fork dropouts. Let bike settle and insert axle.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Once I have removed the front axle, I never put it down until it goes back in the fork. That way I will not lose it or leave it behind somewhere. In theory you should use a brake pad spacer in case you inadvertently pull the brake lever, or it gets pushed during transit. But I have never done that when the bike was in my car (always done it for shipping though).

If there is another bike going on top, I would make certain that the upper fork leg cannot be depressed.

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
If you lay it on the side without the front wheel, watch for your brake levers: it should not be squeezed and if possible keep the lever at a higher position than the caliper so that bubbles dont move there.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Once I have removed the front axle, I never put it down until it goes back in the fork T

I'm the same.

Definitely don't put it on the roll top of your truck. Then watch in slow motion as it rolls down the gap between the cab and the bed. A 'friend' was stupid enough to do that once!! :LOL: :rolleyes:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use a rubber block with a hole in it, pushed over the front brake lever so it cannot be operated accidentally whilst the wheel is out. My bike goes on a fork mount so no risk of that happening whilst being transported but so easy to do when taking the bike out of my van.
To remount the front wheel I turn the bike upside down resting the handlebars on the bumper. This makes putting the wheel back in very easy avoiding the danger of not aligning with the brake caliper in the process. It also has the benefit of letting oil run to the crown of the fork for a few minutes making sure the wiper sponges are well soaked.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Piece of cardboard from cereal packet shoved between the pads

F475B0C2-74E5-449B-AB67-D27ECB09E83A.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I prefer to use a lever block because brake pad blocks etc contaminate the pads.

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks all above for your responses

Was going through all the Manuals etc. that came with the bike and found a Brake Spacer included so I'm set there

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If doing this I put the axle back in just so I know I have left it - driven 30 miles before to some trials only totalise I left axle at home! I also use pad spacers just because its a PITA if you knock your lever, and for the sake of a how cheap they are its a no brainer.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If doing this I put the axle back in just so I know I have left it - driven 30 miles before to some trials only totalise I left axle at home! I also use pad spacers just because its a PITA if you knock your lever, and for the sake of a how cheap they are its a no brainer.
He HE...been there but not exactly in the same way!! I turn my bike upside down and rest the handlebars on the bumper to remove ( and refit) the front wheel, and I use the same axle to secure the forks in the fork mount in the van. So no way I am going to lose it. But the wheel!! Thats a different story. Slightly different scenario though. My bike is permanently stored with the front wheel off and on on a fork mount. Twice so far I have loaded the bike and forgotten the wheel until halfway to my forest destination!! I now adopt the routine of always loading the wheel first!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles