Impossible to remove my front wheel :o

Flupke

Apr 16, 2022
Brussels, Belgium
I am a bit desperate as it appears impossible (at least for me) to remove my front wheel: it is completely blocked. I tried to put a bit of WD40, I used a pipe to extend the tool and have more force: no success. I just managed to deform the tool and I am afraid that my wheel axis is now a bit "round".

I am actually worried the axis would be "stuck" for good. I have no clue about the solution -. I must go to the bike shop but I really wonder what more they will be able to do.

Fyi it is a Cannondale Habit Neo 2.

IMG_3658.jpg

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Have you tried undoing it from the other side if possible? Some axles are handed & only loosen from one side of the bike. Otherwise, I have had this happen to me. The maxle was under lubricated & electrolytic corrosion welded it to the hub. It had to be drilled out in the end.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
GENTLY apply heat If you have a heat gun or torch around the bolt area on both sides, not directly to the head. As I say GENTLY and slowly, it doesn’t take much to heat up that area. I maintain RC engines and it’s a trick to remove seized bearings from aluminium engine cases.

Flupke

Apr 16, 2022
Brussels, Belgium
Thanks a lot for the hints.

It requires an hexagonal tool that can only be used on one side.

I was scared about how strong had to try but a professional friend advised me to go really really strongly and not to worry if I hear (as I was) some sudden cracks: it is not an issue provided that the hexagonal part do not "jumb" 60° which is extremely rare.

I persisted in putting some WD40 on the end of the axis and finally managed. Really scary! I put some grease before mounting it back and did it carefully close it "by hand", not using too much strength.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
GENTLY apply heat If you have a heat gun or torch around the bolt area on both sides, not directly to the head. As I say GENTLY and slowly, it doesn’t take much to heat up that area. I maintain RC engines and it’s a trick to remove seized bearings from aluminium engine cases.
Boiling water is usually enough when working on bikes and much safer than a heat gun or torch IMHO

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles