Transporting Trek Rail

J14msy

Sep 24, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Hey guys looking for some advice.
I’m yet to receive my Rail 7 (super excited) but I will be looking to transport the bike by car, currently I have a roof mounted Thule system using 598 bike carriers.
I understand the preferred way of transporting ebikes is on a tow bar mounted carrier but I’ve just shelled out almost £5k for the bike so will have to wait a while before I can shell out another £1k to fit a tow bar and buy the rack.

1. I’m looking for advice on whether or not the bike will fit into the 598 that I already have.

2. I know the weight limit for the rack is 20kg, so would look to transport the bike with the battery removed, but with the battery being side mounted would it be safe to clamp the down tube with the battery removed?

any help you guys can provide will be greatly received.

thanks
James

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
I’m yet to receive my Rail 7 (super excited) but I will be looking to transport the bike by car, currently I have a roof mounted Thule system using 598 bike carriers.
I understand the preferred way of transporting ebikes is on a tow bar mounted carrier but I’ve just shelled out almost £5k for the bike so will have to wait a while before I can shell out another £1k to fit a tow bar and buy the rack.

1. I’m looking for advice on whether or not the bike will fit into the 598 that I already have.

2. I know the weight limit for the rack is 20kg, so would look to transport the bike with the battery removed, but with the battery being side mounted would it be safe to clamp the down tube with the battery removed?

thanks
James
Hi i have 598's but have never tried them with my rail, I had an orbea wild fs before the trek and they would not fit. As the frame was to big for the gap. I bought a yakima fork mount rack which works great. Battery out and wheel off, its a lot lighter to lift up.

I might try the rail in the 598, i will let you know if it fits.

I will weight the bike as well with the battery out ?

J14msy

Sep 24, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Hi i have 598's but have never tried them with my rail, I had an orbea wild fs before the trek and they would not fit. As the frame was to big for the gap. I bought a yakima fork mount rack which works great. Battery out and wheel off, its a lot lighter to lift up.

I might try the rail in the 598, i will let you know if it fits.

I will weight the bike as well with the battery out ?
Thanks bud, that would be great to know.
On the Yakima, is that something that can fit on the 598s? I see on the Yakima website that it can be used with other racks, but can’t see any info on compatibility.

Gazzaaitken

Nov 7, 2019
Scotland
Thanks bud, that would be great to know.
On the Yakima, is that something that can fit on the 598s? I see on the Yakima website that it can be used with other racks, but can’t see any info on compatibility.
Yip it fits on fine, no issues on thule aero bars,

Topper85

May 23, 2021
Bristol

thanks
James
Hi James,

Did you ever test out the Thule 598 on your Trek Rail? I need a roof mounted system for my pending Rail 9 and can't find any advise.

Thanks

thanks
James
Hi James,

Did you ever test out the Thule 598 on your Trek Rail? I need a roof mounted system for my pending Rail 9 and can't find any advise.

Thanks

Rich

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Very good question since a 598 is the only way I've got of transporting my Rail 7 on the car. The news isn't good, just about squeezed it on at ground level, no chance at all of doing it whilst balancing the bike on the roof. And when on the downtube was sitting right on the edge of the lower clamp. Houston we have a problem...

IMG_20210525_180351.jpg

Topper85

May 23, 2021
Bristol
Very good question since a 598 is the only way I've got of transporting my Rail 7 on the car. The news isn't good, just about squeezed it on at ground level, no chance at all of doing it whilst balancing the bike on the roof. And when on the downtube was sitting right on the edge of the lower clamp. Houston we have a problem...

View attachment 62470
That's the best evidence yet! So glad I asked. Bought a 598 rack (will be sending back!) and expecting bike to arrive on Thursday (although that's been pushed back 5 times, so who knows).
Will be buying a front wheel rack. Thule 599 or Yakima Highroad. Yakima appears to have the best reviews out there!
Thanks for the response!

ianiention

May 22, 2022
Abbots Langley, UK
That's the best evidence yet! So glad I asked. Bought a 598 rack (will be sending back!) and expecting bike to arrive on Thursday (although that's been pushed back 5 times, so who knows).
Will be buying a front wheel rack. Thule 599 or Yakima Highroad. Yakima appears to have the best reviews out there!
Thanks for the response!
looks like the Thule is now the 'Thule UpRide', looks the same anyway

Topper85

May 23, 2021
Bristol
looks like the Thule is now the 'Thule UpRide', looks the same anyway
Yakima bike rack has been superb! I use for long motorway journeys and been confident with it.
My only gripe is that it could have a locking mechanism when the clamp is closed, but maybe this will be included on future versions (if read here, please give credit 😉).
There is a lock that can be wrapped through the chain stay and slides out of the rack, but could only reasonably used as a deterant.
Overall, I've been massively impressed, and have read that the wheel clamp is much easier to use than the Thule 'Upride'.

Hope that helps

Svenn

Dec 8, 2021
Illinois
Liked the 1up rack but needed one that would also work with our touring bike fenders.
Been happy with the Thule easyfold xt. Sturdy. 120 lb capacity. Folds up small to fit in trunk.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles