Transition from dirt bike (moto) to emtb

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
I''l agree with all of the above, had to sell my 2 VMX bikes to buy the ebike in the first place. I wasn't racing anymore and they just took up space in the shed.
Still got a KTM 300 + 640 Adv, the 300 gets a look in every month or so and the 640 is a great blast to ride to work and back on.
As one of you boys said, an ebike is 80% of the fun with 10% of the faff, but what no one has said it's much more social. When we go trail riding on the motor bikes there's maybe 10-15 of us and apart from when your marking a corner with another rider there's no chat. On the ebikes and there is more than just yourself, your having a conversation most of the time, I know that's not the point in being out there but it is an added bonus.

Gareth Bowen

Oct 28, 2019
South Wales
Just curious if there are any on this forum who have made the switch from dirt bikes to emtb.

I find myself riding dirt bikes less and less between places to ride, time, maintenance etc. I ride my mtb 2-3 times per week though and honestly way more likely to motivate for a mtb ride vs a moto.

Still haven't bought an emtb, i've been waiting for some new models with 2gen Bosch motor to appear before I make commitment.

Anyway, just wondering if others had moved away from moto's and been satisfied with emtbs? Probably a small subset of the user base...
Hi "seamarsh "
Have ridden dirt / trials /sidecars most of my life culminating in extensive trail riding .Bought my Levo two years ago and thoroughly enjoying it !
Recommend Lt ?
Gar B

Jay

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
West Sussex
Stopped racing 10 years ago now.
Enjoying the Ebike now.

15035762831885417600.JPG

JCB

Oct 7, 2019
Burnie, Tasmania
I still have my 2012 Sherco 300, which gets ridden twice a year!
For me, it is the convenience of mtb, you drive closer to home without a trailer, you put your gear on in 2min, you ride 3h, go home, wash the bike with a garden hose and Mucoff in 10min, shower and finished before lunch. Wife loves that, so I can ride more often.
Used to be gym and running during the week and one dirtbike ride on Saturday,
Now, it is 2 rides on ebike, 1 ride on normal mtb and 2 rides on roadie per week

Vagus

Jul 17, 2019
Ontario Canada
I’ve been riding moto for 39 years. Still have a huskyFe450 and a Sherco trials bike.. I had a serious injury on the husky a year ago last May. I missed 4 months of work, had to have two surgeries to put my shoulder back together. Nine fractures in 39 years of riding was enough. I decided to slow down a little and an e-bike seemed like a good compromise. I made the mistake of taking the wife with me to the shop and ended up buying two Levos. There are a ton of trails for the ebike within 30 min of the house so we can easily get out a couple times a week. I had to haul the motos for 2 hrs to get to legal trails. It was a whole day affair. We are having a blast so far. I‘m not missing the moto riding a bit but I’m not selling them either.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I too am a moto/hare scramble convert. Starting riding MTB for training and found is SOOO much easier to go riding. My main reasons to switch were 1) lots more (and closer) places to ride 2) no gas, no oil, much less time spent on maintenance 3) the injuries are (typically) less often and less severe. The biggest drawback of the pedal MTB is the sport is mostly about...pedaling...not nearly the same technical skill required as moto or hare scrambles. And if you are a moto guy you will have issues with the closures of trails because the local MTB club doesn't want anyone damaging their manicured trail and you will want to go faster and ride more technical trails so you can use your actual bike riding skills.

Emtb is somewhere in between and a great option. I am still learning about it (I ride a Levo) but am finding I don't want to ride my local MTB trails because they are designed for more delicate, less travel, slower pedal bikes (its like riding on pavement in the woods). I am now looking for motorcycle trails that are much more challenging. I can ride as fast as I want without anybody giving me any "looks" or hassles.

I would love to see an E-IMBA organization so we can start managing E-trails.

Last edited:

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I too am a moto/hare scramble convert. Starting riding MTB for training and found is SOOO much easier to go riding. My main reasons to switch were 1) lots more (and closer) places to ride 2) no gas, no oil, much less time spent on maintenance 3) the injuries are (typically) less often and less severe. The biggest drawback of the pedal MTB is the sport is mostly about...pedaling...not nearly the same technical skill required as moto or hare scrambles. And if you are a moto guy you will have issues with the closures of trails because the local MTB club doesn't want anyone damaging their manicured trail and you will want to go faster and ride more technical trails so you can use your actual bike riding skills.

Emtb is somewhere in between and a great option. I am still learning about it (I ride a Levo) but am finding I don't want to ride my local MTB trails because they are designed for more delicate, less travel, slower pedal bikes (its like riding on pavement in the woods). I am now looking for motorcycle trails that are much more challenging. I can ride as fast as I want without anybody giving me any "looks" or hassles.

My feelings almost to the tee. I have somewhat solved the technically challenging part by doing as you say, ride on hare scramble type trails, or where there is no trail at all. I know there are certainly technically challenging bicycle trails, just not around my house, and if I'm going to do this every day, it has to be local... It's got to be safe. I'm too old, or too smart (you choose) to go about jumping anything farther than 5 or 10 feet anymore on anything other than a trampoline.

This is where I went today.
20191110_100153.jpg

The speeds are slow so injuries are usually a sprain or tweak; balance and technique are similar to trials (I guess, as I don't really know for sure) with the added benefit of some moderately fast down hill sections.
Only drawback so far on my conversion, is the growing list of trashed derailleurs from the (not a tree yet, "I am groot") growth that gets in the shifty bits of a tranny with its parts outside the box?.

A few things the moto world could learn from MTB (going opposite the thread) is shifting on the handlebar, and on the fly adjustable suspension.

Vain glory shot
7329.jpg

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
My feelings almost to the tee. I have somewhat solved the technically challenging part by doing as you say, ride on hare scramble type trails, or where there is no trail at all...
Only drawback so far on my conversion, is the growing list of trashed derailleurs from the (not a tree yet, "I am groot") growth that gets in the shifty.
View attachment 21539

Sounds like we have similar interests. Have you tried the Emtb races in the GNCC series? They are excellently done and just the most fun you can have on an Emtb (in my opinion). Interesting what you posted about derailleurs...they have been a big problem in the races. We need a better transmission!

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Sounds like we have similar interests. Have you tried the Emtb races in the GNCC series? They are excellently done and just the most fun you can have on an Emtb (in my opinion). Interesting what you posted about derailleurs...they have been a big problem in the races. We need a better transmission!

Thanks for heads up!
I leaned about emtb reading the gncc results. I had no idea emtb existed before reading about them at 2019 eMTB Racing Information - GNCC Racing

I would love to try an event or two next year.

Yea, the derailleur seems to be my Achilles heel. Surly a simple cover, like a disk gaurd would go along ways, but it's either technically impossible or there just hasn't been enough interest as of yet. Hopefully a real tranny is forthcoming Shimano patents new gearbox drivetrain for MTB - EMTB Forums

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I too am a moto/hare scramble convert. Starting riding MTB for training and found is SOOO much easier to go riding.

So I am replying to my own post.

Fast forward 7 months...I hardly ever ride my Emtb on mountain bike trails but if I do I ride with only 15% assist, 15% peak power. I hardly ever do that because I might as well ride my pedal bike instead (don't have to charge a battery).

However I have found a few great places to ride my Emtb. Trails that are suitable for motorcycles are much better for riding an Emtb. More fun and more challenging.

I see some evidence of more acceptance of Emtbs from traditional mountain bikers but also continued opposition. Motorcyclists however readily accept and even desire an Emtb. Sometimes to replace their motorcycle but more often to provide training options or to serve as a fun pit bike.

I believe the future of pedal assist Emtbs is still mostly dependent on having purpose built trails for them. If we build them...people will come.

Last edited:

sisuman

Aug 11, 2019
Vermont USA
Still have a Beta 250RR but seldom ride it anymore. The emtb is just more socially acceptable and there is less equipment to put on.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Ditto that, have a KTM 300 2 stroke and have only ridden it once in the 12 months I've had my Merida, probably did about 120km. In the mean time, have put nearly 1800 km on the e-bike. Just so much easier to jump on the pushy and go out for a ride, much greater riding area as more sociably acceptable. The better half has one now too so a win there as well. ;)

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Yes I’m sure they are gonna be on the trails soon..

I saw one guy on one in the Surrey Hills. No doubt it’s gonna open a whole can of worms..

fletch

May 12, 2020
lancs
first time out on my trials bike on saturday and then a day on the enduro on sunday ( private practice facility ) in over 2 months . yes i have missed them but the levo is coming in a very close third and may take second place very soon . anything with 2 wheels is good really .

Motoride

Jun 15, 2019
San Jose California
Motos are awesome and more physically intense especially on MX track so I won’t be giving them up but the Mt ebike evolution is Performance engineering. Easy access and multiple convient local Trail options is hard to beat , no entry fee is another bonus too. Any Two wheel riding is good to me and each compliments the other.
0C8FE4D7-E703-42DC-8C2C-AB8F959B193A.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles