Fuel EXe TQ Feature Requests

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Continue to work on progressing your battery technology so you can build them with more Wh at the same size and weight. Then, offer these batteries retrofittable to all current owners of TQ motors. My single only complaint on my EXe is the range in comparison with the Rise and Shuttle SL. Fix that, and this bike blows everything else out of the water, no question.
Yeah but this would be environmentally friendly and consumer friendly and I have seen no bike company who does this. You are supposed to buy a new bike instead.

Orbea has similar issues with their 360 wh battery and the solution? Here it comes:
Get a new bike.
The 2023 shimano motor is incompatible with everything "old" (1 year), and you can't upgrade the motor because you can't just buy it.
The batteries for the 2023 doesn't fit the 2022 model and the 2022 model in carbon and aluminium uses different batteries and even different range extenders because why not make every single iteration of the same bike completely incompatible with everything else.

Everything time there is a meaningful upgrade on an ebike it means you have to buy a new bike. It just doesn't seems sustainable.

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Yeah but this would be environmentally friendly and consumer friendly and I have seen no bike company who does this. You are supposed to buy a new bike instead.

Orbea has similar issues with their 360 wh battery and the solution? Here it comes:
Get a new bike.
The 2023 shimano motor is incompatible with everything "old" (1 year), and you can't upgrade the motor because you can't just buy it.
The batteries for the 2023 doesn't fit the 2022 model and the 2022 model in carbon and aluminium uses different batteries and even different range extenders because why not make every single iteration of the same bike completely incompatible with everything else.

Everything time there is a meaningful upgrade on an ebike it means you have to buy a new bike. It just doesn't seems sustainable.
Its called planned obsolesence😉

Pakere

Nov 4, 2022
Hungary
Thanks @mitea and all contributors! I love the way you are involved with the product! Also the quality of the requests here pretty impressive.

Let me try to summarize:
  • Motor torque up from 50 to 55, 60 or even 75 Nm
  • Advanced motor tuning
    • Save preferences for different ride types (motor tune sets)
    • set assistance or power to 0
  • Over the air software update
  • Battery derating from 10% to 5% or less
  • Change support mode on the remote control to no assistance the same way as eco-mid-high
  • beep-volume adjustable
  • motor overrun (adjustable)
  • 27.5" rear wheel calibration support
  • Ability to adjust display brightness
  • Availability of full 360wh battery for aftermarket sales
  • assistance speed floor and ceiling (thanks @apollon for that detailed explanation)
Hello Roman,

Is there any news regarding the features requested by the Fuel Exe community?

Thanks for your answer in advance.

ps: I just got this email today from Fazua worth looking into:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Display stealth mode!
Something I'd love and think fits very well in to the Exe ethos would be ability to run the bike in display stealth mode.
I don't always want a display staring at me.

Most of the time I go for a ride it's to get away from all the screens, and I would love to be able to not have the screen on always on the bike. When pressing the button it should light up and show battery% and hour left, then go away again in 3 seconds.

I'd love for the stealth mode to be activated by long pressing one of the controls or pressing them 5 times or so, so I can do it without the app.

Basically the only thing I liked better on my Orbea Rise was that there was no screen, although it was a problem that there was no good way to show battery.
It's also much nicer to run without screen when riding in the dark.

rdv

Jun 7, 2023
California
Thanks to Mitea for starting the thread, the contributors for many solid ideas, to Ramon for taking note, and Rob for hosting. A major question is whether Ramon can prevail in converting these ideas into features on our e-bikes.

As a medically constrained Domane+ rider, I heartily endorse:
  • Being able to pull up the bike's current Firmware version
  • Updating the FW at home
  • A description of the FW updated changes
  • Extending battery life cycle by setting charging limit to 80% generally, 100% for longer rides
  • Saving multiple tuning profiles corresponding to different kinds of rides

And would add:
  • Improve motor power on display by reporting more stable user set 5s or similar average power
  • Within the rider set tuning profiles, allow greater motor assistance at lower input by limited riders (as Fazua does with their 'Support Relation sliders). For example, add 100 Motor Watts (MW) progressively to riders 75W, 200 MW to 100W, and 300MW to 125W. This would sacrifice the “natural” feel that TQ is rightly proud of, but allows a greater range of rides for less capable riders.

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Sadly tq app will not change much in near future , i have new motor version which is really amazing now couse old one was trash, but lack of application and rider power input and cadence meter built in motor make me think about new bike....

rdv

Jun 7, 2023
California
buy a Wahoo Elemnt that has ANT+. It can connect to the Motor and track that data
Same for the Karoo 2, except that this first iteration mis-labels Eco as level 2, M as 4, and H as 7 (no level 1, 3, 5 an 6, nor above 7). The Hammerhead app reports the % spent in each and 0.

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
Should I be able to edit the pages on the Trek Fuel EXe display with the TQ app??

Yes, the TQ app lets you add additional pages. There's 2 new functions you can add and also a toggle for extended center button functionality.

The two new functions is Cadence and Stealth Mode. Unfortunately, the Stealth Mode just blanks out the center part of the screen and doesn't blank it out the entire screen.

The extended center button functionality lets you control the modes in case your remote is broken.

If it doesn't work for you, you'll need to go to Trek to get the firmware on your bike updated. This is what I had to do for these new features on the TQ app to work.

DethWshBkr

Jun 20, 2023
PA
As a new ExE owner...I agree with a battery level/power reducer change.
Perhaps user adjustable - 1% / 5% / 10%
It would be nice to have multiple presets.
Could the system be able to be set for incremental increases on the bar switch?
If the selected mode - Max wattage output at 300, but you can adjust the assist percentage by 10% up or down. From 0% to 200%.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Yes, the TQ app lets you add additional pages. There's 2 new functions you can add and also a toggle for extended center button functionality.

The two new functions is Cadence and Stealth Mode. Unfortunately, the Stealth Mode just blanks out the center part of the screen and doesn't blank it out the entire screen.

The extended center button functionality lets you control the modes in case your remote is broken.

If it doesn't work for you, you'll need to go to Trek to get the firmware on your bike updated. This is what I had to do for these new features on the TQ app to work.
Am I missing something, or I am right that, when you turn on "extended center button functionality," you can you no longer use the center button to toggle between screens? Which is no big deal because it seems like you'd only need to turn it on if your handlebar remote wasn't working. Just want to make sure I understand.

I've been toggling between batter % and speed, simply because I don't want to think about batter life every single time I stop. So the stealth mode will be nice.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Am I missing something, or I am right that, when you turn on "extended center button functionality," you can you no longer use the center button to toggle between screens? Which is no big deal because it seems like you'd only need to turn it on if your handlebar remote wasn't working. Just want to make sure I understand.

I've been toggling between batter % and speed, simply because I don't want to think about batter life every single time I stop. So the stealth mode will be nice.
Yeah you can't select screens anymore I think, but you switch between modes. Would make you able to ditch the remote. I also just want speed and battery and total stealth.
I wish the screen could be turned off completely and any button press would wake it, showing last screen selected for 10 seconds and then off again. That would be perfect.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Yeah you can't select screens anymore I think, but you switch between modes. Would make you able to ditch the remote. I also just want speed and battery and total stealth.
I wish the screen could be turned off completely and any button press would wake it, showing last screen selected for 10 seconds and then off again. That would be perfect.
What would be the point of having the screen turn off? It’s not like it takes a noticeable amount of power. Then to see anything on the screen, you’d have to actively turn it on. That makes no sense.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
I wish you could enter your combined rider and bike weight in the app and it could tell you how to set the low power mode, so it would feel that same as riding an analog bike. This would be very useful if you went out riding with a friend who is riding an analog bike. With each ride, I finding myself using the low power mode more and more.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
to those that have managed to get the tq app to work to enable extended centre button functionality or change the data that is displayed on the screens, are you using the app on an apple or android phone?

I keep trying to change the screens or enable extended centre button functionality using the android app, but the app just crashes everytime I try and change anything, I have all the latest firmwares for the TQ system installed.

The android app seems full of bugs anyway - like on the motor tuning screen it displays different values for the assist % to what is actually configured etc, so it wouldnt suprise me if the android version of the app is an afterthought, the android app itself hasnt been updated for 9 months now

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
to those that have managed to get the tq app to work to enable extended centre button functionality or change the data that is displayed on the screens, are you using the app on an apple or android phone?

I keep trying to change the screens or enable extended centre button functionality using the android app, but the app just crashes everytime I try and change anything, I have all the latest firmwares for the TQ system installed.

The android app seems full of bugs anyway - like on the motor tuning screen it displays different values for the assist % to what is actually configured etc, so it wouldnt suprise me if the android version of the app is an afterthought, the android app itself hasnt been updated for 9 months now
So I borrowed a mates iPhone and the TQ app works fine on that, you can enable extended centre button functionality and configure the data screens,so looks like a bug in the Android version of the app.

I've emailed the developers but doubt it will get fixed anytime soon

rdv

Jun 7, 2023
California
If there are members of this forum who, like me, are physically/medically constrained and unable to take full advantage of the TQ HPR50 motor's output, we might be able to help to nudge TQ into taking better care of us. I've written to them a handful of times requesting improved assistance with the next substantive firmware release (due soon?) and get polite but non-committal PR responses. Hearing from others might tilt the scales.

At issue is the 200% maximum assistance vis-a-vis the motor's 300W maximum output. It works fine for riders who can readily generate 150W of power or more, but falls short for those who cannot sustain more than 100W, which begets only 200W of support, leaving 100w of motor capacity untapped (and High mode largely wasted).

My request has been to increase maximum assistance to at least 300%, at least in High mode. No change to the motor would be required (though even stronger support would be welcome for sure). To the layman it seems to amount to little more than firmware/software tweaks.

If this would benefit some of you as well, then I would urge you to let it be known to the TQ at [email protected]. (Also posted on EBR TQ forum.)

Thanks, regards, Rob

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
If there are members of this forum who, like me, are physically/medically constrained and unable to take full advantage of the TQ HPR50 motor's output, we might be able to help to nudge TQ into taking better care of us. I've written to them a handful of times requesting improved assistance with the next substantive firmware release (due soon?) and get polite but non-committal PR responses. Hearing from others might tilt the scales.

At issue is the 200% maximum assistance vis-a-vis the motor's 300W maximum output. It works fine for riders who can readily generate 150W of power or more, but falls short for those who cannot sustain more than 100W, which begets only 200W of support, leaving 100w of motor capacity untapped (and High mode largely wasted).

My request has been to increase maximum assistance to at least 300%, at least in High mode. No change to the motor would be required (though even stronger support would be welcome for sure). To the layman it seems to amount to little more than firmware/software tweaks.

If this would benefit some of you as well, then I would urge you to let it be known to the TQ at [email protected]. (Also posted on EBR TQ forum.)

Thanks, regards, Rob

I completely disagree. If for whatever reason you need more assistance than this bike provides, there are dozens of other bikes that will suit your needs and give you more battery life. Upping the assistance of the TQ motor would definitely put it outside of what it is capable of doing. This bike was designed for people who want minimal assistance in a package that feels like an analog trail bike.

ragetty

Nov 20, 2022
Bad Tölz, Germany
I completely disagree. If for whatever reason you need more assistance than this bike provides, there are dozens of other bikes that will suit your needs and give you more battery life. Upping the assistance of the TQ motor would definitely put it outside of what it is capable of doing. This bike was designed for people who want minimal assistance in a package that feels like an analog trail bike.
… true, there maybe other e-bikes better suited, but read the post again - he is requesting more relative assistance, not absolute, which hardly changes the EXe’s profile AND anyone who doesn’t want it can simply dial it out.

rdv

Jun 7, 2023
California
I was attracted to this forum due to its specific focus on the TQ HPR50. I admitted months ago (post #36) to being an interloper in that I'm a road rider. Regretfully, due to angina, I can no longer sustain the pace nor climb the hills that I once could, limiting my regular road bike to casual, flat rides. But I wanted my e-rides to be as close to as possible to the road rides of the past, and felt a Trek Domane+ SLR 6 would make it as close as possible. I do want to put in as much effort as I can, but exceeding the angina threshold shuts me down.

As regetty gathered, I'm not asking for a change in the motor, nor put any additional strain on it, merely tap it's full potential, as stronger riders can. (Obviously, additional honed capabilities [akin to Fazua's Black Pepper firmware update] would be welcome by all HPR50 users were it in the cards.)

rdv

Jun 7, 2023
California
Also, that’s going to eat up more battery power. Again, you’d be better off buying a bike that suits your needs better, instead of asking Trek to modify a bike to suit your needs.
I am not asking Trek to modify the bike, I'm asking TQ to tweak the firmware, when they next update it as is typically done, to allow me and anyone in similar circumstances to better utilize the TQ HPR50 e-bikes we have, to no-one's detriment. I'll leave it at that.

ohiomoto

Nov 14, 2023
Ohio
Also, that’s going to eat up more battery power. Again, you’d be better off buying a bike that suits your needs better, instead of asking Trek to modify a bike to suit your needs.
What these riders are requesting isn't unreasonable. They aren't asking for more power or larger batteries. They want to achieve the bike's full potential with their diminished abilities.

And maybe they did buy the bike that suits them. A more powerful bike with a larger battery might be too heavy for them. And if they are road riders, there aren't more powerful premium options in the market (as far as I know).

The OP asked that people post their TQ Feature Requests and vote with the "Like" button.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles