Fuel EXe TQ Feature Requests

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
Since @Rob Rides EMTB invited TQ to this forum I thought we could start a Thread especially for Feature Requests.

Idea is everybody posts a feature requests with a title and some description. Other users then can vote for the feature using the like button. This would help TQ to see whats demanded the most by the riders.

Edit: Hi @Roman 🙋‍♂️ Glad you are here. feel free to get inspired for future releases 😉

Last edited:

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I’d like a louder beep when changing power modes. Or make volume adjustable. Can anyone hear their beep?

And maybe a beep(s) when the motor shuts off unexpectedly (like due to the 4414 error). It sucks to be ready to pedal with power only to get nothing then look down and see the error code.

theklaw

Oct 27, 2022
New Zealand
Remember when Bosch released the CX4 at 80nm then did an OTA update and bumped it to 85nm? What are the chances of Trek doing that and bumping the torque to 55 or 60nm?

Sure I’d go through the battery faster but that’s what the range extenders for (as soon as we can get our hands on them).

Are they’re being overly cautious and restricting max output for the motor's initial mass test in the market..?

What are the chances… Maybe the firmware update rumoured to be out early November...?

theklaw

Oct 27, 2022
New Zealand
Remember when Bosch released the CX4 at 80nm then did an OTA update and bumped it to 85nm? What are the chances of Trek doing that and bumping the torque to 55 or 60nm?

Sure I’d go through the battery faster but that’s what the range extenders for (as soon as we can get our hands on them).

Are they’re being overly cautious and restricting max output for the motor's initial mass test in the market..?

What are the chances… Maybe the firmware update rumoured to be out early November...?
And then the ability to set your torque delivery per profile 🚀

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Motor overrun option.

I would really like to see an option in the app to be able to set a little bit of motor overrun when you stop pedalling. Would help immensely on technical climbs. If possible a slider bar setting for overrun in each of the assist modes similar to that for the Pedal Response adjustment, ranging from “None” to “Strong” would be ideal. Set to low for a more natural pedal feel, or stronger for more delayed assistance cutout in each mode.

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Reduce percentage of battery charge where assist mode switches to minimum.

Currently, motor output is reduced to minimum assistance once the battery is discharged to 10% or lower. Would appreciate the ability for the user to judge their remaining power and select the appropriate assistance for their current situation. Granted that most of the time, a rider will voluntarily reduce their assistance when close to an empty battery. But if you know you’ve only got a short distance to get back to the car and you’d prefer to keep the assist level up for that last climb, it would be preferable not to have to grind it out in low assist mode. Perhaps a mandatory assistance drop at 3% to 5% battery remaining would be more user friendly. I understand that a higher amperage use at low voltage will draw the battery down much faster at that point, but I assume the battery management system does not permit the volts to drop to the point where cell damage can occur.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Thanks Rob!
Roman welcome!
Bumping some feature requests, mostly for the app:
  • 27.5" rear wheel calibration support
  • Ability to save "banks" of motor tune mode presets ("Max Range" mode 1/2/3, Stock" mode 1/2/3, Max Powah! mode 1/2/3 etc)
  • Ability to adjust display brightness- I find it a little bright for night-riding
  • Availability of full 360wh battery for aftermarket sales

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
I couldn't agree more with the "partial shutdown" at 3% or 5% instead of 10%. Frustrating when it happens at 10% and I'm finishing a ride with jump line laps and never getting more than a 1/4 mile or so from the parking lot. Great default setting, but we should be able to override to the extent it won't damage the battery.

One that hasn't been mentioned (and may be more Trek) is the ability to change assist modes from the app. My down button stopped working (ended up being a faulty head/display unit). I could make do by powering down at the top of climbs, but would have been screwed if it had been the up button. Given not only the potential for electronic failure, but also the vulnerability of the remote on the handlebars, some redundancy would be nice.

And having to take to the dealer to update firmware is ridiculous.

Finally, awesome that TQ is here and listening. It makes such a difference to consumers.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Ignore me if I am missing something obvious. I have been struggling trying to download a single state map. Finally deleted the Trek Central app and re-installed it. Finally got a prompt to download a map. It asks me to turn the bike on which leads me to think the map is stored in memory on the bike and not the phone?

I turned the bike on and hit the download button and it was taking forever for the map to download. I finally walked away and came back only to find the bike shut itself off and the map was stuck at 11% after about a 1/2 hour. Painful. I guess I can try plugging the bike and phone in and leaving it overnight but there has to be a better way.

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Hi there! Couple of enhancement requests from here. Here is the first:

Vocabulary:
Analog here refers to a complete lack of motor assistance

Objective:
A more seamless way to use the bike as analog and switch to electric if and when needed

Background:
Currently there is such a way, by keeping the down button pressed for about 3secs. Typically however, in local trails, one may want to use the bike in analog mode for no longer than 10 secs and waiting 3secs for the analog mode to go on skips 30% of the part of the trail in focus. Plus, trying to count 3secs takes away focus away from the trail.

Proposed solution #1 (ideal):
Introduce a choice in the settings of allowing one to press the down button when being in the lowest power mode and go into analog mode, without any delay and same as when doing from power 2 to power 1.

Proposed solution #2:
Same as above without introducing any settings choice, rather allowing the above to take place via a software update.

Proposed solution #3:
Allow the power modes to define 0% motor assistance – currently the lowest setting is at 25%

Proposed solution #4:
Reduce the 3sec delay to a 2 sec one when keeping the down button pressed

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Second request below:

Objective:
Adjust power according to the need; typically, if one goes uphill, they are going to require more assistance (% or absolute) than going downhill. Currently this is effectively achieved given the rider will output more watts going uphill and the motor will subsequently add watts according to a multiplier (assistance %) chosen. However, this needs further tuning to be even more useful. For example, if one goes downhill at say 10mph and 25 watts, there will typically be very little to no need for motor assistance. Currently the motor will assist according to the same multiplier as it assists
when going uphill.

Proposed solution:
Introduce assistance and speed floor and ceiling. If the rider outputs watts under the floor AND its speed is above the floor, i.e. being in an easy part of the trail, do not assist. If the rider outputs watts above the floor AND its speed is above the ceiling, i.e. using energy to run as fast as possible, do not assist. In all other cases, assist according to the % assistance and max watts chosen, as currently. If the rider outputs watts under the floor AND its speed is under the floor, ideally as the rider’s speed increases and reaches the speed floor, reduce assistance:

1.png

Similarly if the rider outputs watts above the floor and its speed is under the ceiling:

2.png

Ideally, a 3D surface assistance, speed, watt will exist to find tune how assistance varies.

A follow up to the above is to further fine tune the assistance curve according to how the rider prefers, i.e. ignoring the above predefined curve shapes. In this case, the software would learn what the rider prefers by monitoring speed and watt consumed AND the rider’s power choice (1, 2, 3, or even 4, if my first proposal in the previous note is taken into account). So, the rider would do that over a few different rides, until the software has enough data. Perhaps even add profiles, like “aggressive”, “lazy” etc. You could use a classification regression model for this purpose and supply a couple of suggestions that riders can choose from.

All of the above can be choices in the settings. It would also be cool to, instead of choosing power 1 to 3 (or 4), to choose among different profiles (lazy, moderate, aggressive).

Hope this makes sense!

Apollon

malo

Dec 9, 2021
Austin

Increase torque to 75nm (or 85nm)eliminating need for Rail. This will be your best selling MTB.

I love my Rail but I’d sell it tomorrow for a 75nm eXe.

Roman

Official TQ
Subscriber
Jun 13, 2022
Germany
Since @Rob Rides EMTB invited TQ to this forum I thought we could start a Thread especially for Feature Requests.

Idea is everybody posts a feature requests with a title and some description. Other users then can vote for the feature using the like button. This would help TQ to see whats demanded the most by the riders.

Edit: Hi @Roman 🙋‍♂️ Glad you are here. feel free to get inspired for future releases 😉
Thanks @mitea and all contributors! I love the way you are involved with the product! Also the quality of the requests here pretty impressive.

Let me try to summarize:
  • Motor torque up from 50 to 55, 60 or even 75 Nm
  • Advanced motor tuning
    • Save preferences for different ride types (motor tune sets)
    • set assistance or power to 0
  • Over the air software update
  • Battery derating from 10% to 5% or less
  • Change support mode on the remote control to no assistance the same way as eco-mid-high
  • beep-volume adjustable
  • motor overrun (adjustable)
  • 27.5" rear wheel calibration support
  • Ability to adjust display brightness
  • Availability of full 360wh battery for aftermarket sales
  • assistance speed floor and ceiling (thanks @apollon for that detailed explanation)

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Continue to work on progressing your battery technology so you can build them with more Wh at the same size and weight. Then, offer these batteries retrofittable to all current owners of TQ motors. My single only complaint on my EXe is the range in comparison with the Rise and Shuttle SL. Fix that, and this bike blows everything else out of the water, no question.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Continue to work on progressing your battery technology so you can build them with more Wh at the same size and weight. Then, offer these batteries retrofittable to all current owners of TQ motors. My single only complaint on my EXe is the range in comparison with the Rise and Shuttle SL. Fix that, and this bike blows everything else out of the water, no question.

I second this! Need mo’ powah! Anxiously awaiting my range extender battery.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Ordered my range extender in July. LBS thought it would be here by the end of this month. Fingers crossed.
I'd like to be able to buy an additional 360wh internal battery, they're not too big or heavy, so it might make sense for those big days to carry one in a backback and swap over when the main one is empty vs getting a range extender, whether I get a range extender or anotehr internal battery will depend on the price to some extent.

Either way - we need the batteries out in the wild.

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I'd like to be able to buy an additional 360wh internal battery, they're not too big or heavy, so it might make sense for those big days to carry one in a backback and swap over when the main one is empty vs getting a range extender, whether I get a range extender or anotehr internal battery will depend on the price to some extent.

Either way - we need the batteries out in the wild.
$750 for the extra battery. You can also leave in the car if that suits. If I was into long rides that is what I would do (extra battery instead of extender).

Franrene

Nov 8, 2022
Spain
Since there are still no OTA updates, we should at least know what firmware versions we have and compare with those on the TQ website to know when we have to go to the store to update.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Heres the price in europe (599 euro)- you also need to the two end caps, plus the handle which are trek specific parts

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
ability to change regions for when travelling to other countries with other restrictions
ability to change wheel circumference to 27.5 and back again
OTA updates

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles