• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Tow rope….

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Hey guys wondered if anyone had used this before with an ebike to tow a less fortunate up a climb 🤣. Do you think it would work ok ?
59972FB2-9612-41AD-BAD2-9CA0A73AF933.png

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Elasticated yes, to iron out the momentary speed differences between the two bikes.
But no to that particular product. It looks far too big and heavy. Pretty much any bungy rubber will do unless the rider you are towing is a big fat lump and is refusing to pedal.

Whatever you decide to get, attach from your seat post to his top tube.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Elasticated yes, to iron out the momentary speed differences between the two bikes.
But no to that particular product. It looks far too big and heavy. Pretty much any bungy rubber will do unless the rider you are towing is a big fat lump and is refusing to pedal.

Whatever you decide to get, attach from your seat post to his top tube.

Thanks mate maybe I should look for something that has a lower weight class than 2tonne ?

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Pricey, but designed for the job.

Thanks mate I seen this but thought there must me a cheaper option for what it is

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
So you're going to put those big hooks... around your brake cable?

You might want to look into Spectra or BlueWater accessory cord, something around 5.5 to 7 mm. Tie a hitch around the seatpost, as low as you can, even the seat tube if that would work. All that sideways load on your dropper isn't going to be good for it.

For the guy in back, bring the cord around the steer tube, then a couple wraps around the bars, and hold the free end with his hand. When things get stupid, he can let go of the end of the rope, rather than being dragged along like a cattle rustler behind the posse.

Getting towed isn't as easy as it sounds.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I'm with the above. Spectra or Dyneema works great and is relatively cheap for the 4 or so meters you need. Really light and easy to pack along also. I don't like a stretchy line because it feels spongy. It's not like you are trying to pull a vehicle out of a ditch and can use it to your advantage as you are trying for a consistent pull.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
I got a cheap copy from ebay. No need to use clips or carabiners, hooks over my seat and the stem of the towed bike. Works great and the elastic absorbs any bumps and pulls from the towed bike. My son was not originally happy I got the ebike, but once I got the tow rope he was fully onboard :)

1658970151809.png

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Hey guys wondered if anyone had used this before with an ebike to tow a less fortunate up a climb 🤣. Do you think it would work ok ?
this looks like the same stuff that used to be sold for towing cars. It isn't bungy. It might have bungy type material in the middle. The sheaf is loosely woven and stretches out to it's maximum length under load. They are pretty light and not too big

Towing is quite hard unless you're both familiar with the issues. The dude at the rear needs to focus on keeping the line taught - having a bit of stretch in the line helps this a lot.

That line you've listed looks fine except for the hooks. I'd probably go a carabiner on each end to connect to a small double looped strap that wraps around the seat tube / head tube.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
We used a Trax before I bought her a Ebike.
Its pretty strong (enough for an adult) and it stows away back into the unit so you dont have to hold one of those massive ropes!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I made my own. Got a length of nylon tube from the hardware store (It was a lifting strap) and put some stretched elastic bungy cord in it and sewed it in there creating a loop at each end.
I improved the connection by adding a hose clamp ultra-tight. Then covered these in insulation tape to cover the metal bits. Ultra-cheap and works a treat.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
For a bit of fun, look at yachting 12 strand 3mm Dyneema ( breaking strain 995kgs ) its basically hollow and you can feed 2.5mm bungy cord down the centre with a ferrule or old wire clothes hanger, giving a really small but light tow rope. Simply feed the bungy out the side and tie it off or stitch it in the centre whilst under tension. The bungy will retract and coil the rope into a neat and tidy pack for your bag.

Do though look at how to tie Brummel splices for the loops on the ends ( ) as a normal knot will simply slip though its knot. We simply feed one end through the loop around the towed handlebar and then the now free end loop goes over the seat and sits around the seat post. Do be aware though you will need about 6m of Dyneema and about 2m of bungy cord to make a 4m tow rope.

For the real rope junkies 1.5mm Dyneema would be more than strong enough ( 110kgs ) but doing Brummel splices on it is a real art.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
For a bit of fun, look at yachting 12 strand 3mm Dyneema ( breaking strain 995kgs ) its basically hollow and you can feed 2.5mm bungy cord down the centre with a ferrule or old wire clothes hanger, giving a really small but light tow rope. Simply feed the bungy out the side and tie it off or stitch it in the centre whilst under tension. The bungy will retract and coil the rope into a neat and tidy pack for your bag.

Do though look at how to tie Brummel splices for the loops on the ends ( ) as a normal knot will simply slip though its knot. We simply feed one end through the loop around the towed handlebar and then the now free end loop goes over the seat and sits around the seat post. Do be aware though you will need about 6m of Dyneema and about 2m of bungy cord to make a 4m tow rope.

For the real rope junkies 1.5mm Dyneema would be more than strong enough ( 110kgs ) but doing Brummel splices on it is a real art.

Thanks for the idea mate !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles