Touch up paint

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
Does anyone know if Giant does touch up paint for their bikes ?
I read somewhere that nail varnish is a good substitute. Could have some fun taking the bike into s nail bar!!

Bigxmtb

May 24, 2020
UK
Car touch up paint has worked well on my other bikes before. Even the little touch up lens have been useful, and you can get alot of variations on colours. Not the cheapest option though.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Does anyone know if Giant does touch up paint for their bikes ?
NO!
This is my reply to a similar question a while ago:

The first one happened when it fell over whilst standing against the counter in the bike shop a week after I got it (10mm wide circular chip right down to the bare metal on the most visible part of the down tube).

I tried to get matching paint from the usual places (Bike shops, Halfords, model shops, etc) with no luck, and even tried some very expensive paint mixed at an auto paint shop. Despite looking reasonably close on the sample card, when on the bike it looks totally different when the light hits it from different directions. I think that is because it is metallic.

The auto paint shop said it was impossible to match without the relevant paint code, which Giant said they were unable to provide.

Since then I have had many chips which seem to occur with the slightest knock.

Even putting the battery on and taking it off results in paint chips to the frame surrounding the battery, no matter how careful I am!

20190404_122759-2.jpg 20190427_102553-2.jpg

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
That's the problem with these bikes. The paint work is beautifullly finished and looks great in the bike shop but is so fragile that a sharp look can chip the paint. If I had of realized earlier I would have covered most of the frame with clear contact to protect it. :(

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
That's why I always buy black matt bikes, very easy to repair with high quality black matt touch up pens
IMO that repaired area does not look bad at the picture on the right :D

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
IMO that repaired area does not look bad at the picture on the right
It depends on the light.
From some angles it really stands out., but at least the damaged area is now sealed.
I think the problem is with the metallic paint. Non-metallic paint would be much easier to match.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles