Top Tube / Fork Question

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Hi

I have a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160

So i have the brown rusty coloured seems to appear around the base of the head tube

On the spec for the bike, the headset is 'FSA Orbit Z 1.5E ZS, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm)'

Is this likely to require the headset bearings to be replaced?

Also, on the fork legs, the same rusty coloured gunk appears.

Is this a case of a fork service, is that a workshop job or something i can do at home

I do have some Fox Fork fluid in the garage - hopefully that would be ok on my RockShox Lyrik Select Charger RC forks?

Any thoughts appreciated

20210419_152128.jpg

20210419_152139.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That rusty brown gunk looks very much like what it is, rust. As a minimum, clean up what you have. Remove the bars and stem (you should be able to do it in one piece, although you may have to slide some of the brake or shifter clamps about). Then let the fork slide out. Be careful it doesn't just drop out when you slacken the stem bolts. You can access the bearings then clean everything up, regrease and refit, But before refitting, write down the bearing details, they should be engraved on the face of each bearing. I have found Trail Vision to be a very good website to help you locate the exact bearings you need. You will need some new bearings and they are easy to fit.

Their "Blue Seal" bearings are excellent too.

The brown muck on the forks looks like the same stuff that may have leaked from the headset. I would recomm3end that you wipe all the stanchions of your bike before every ride (fork, shock, dropper post). Then apply a circle of wet lube, cycle the stanchions up and down a few times, remove any crap, and then wipe off the excess oil. If the brown gunk does not return, then it was the headset leaking its crap.

How long since the suspension was serviced. Servicing can be done at home and there are lots of "How To" vids on YouTube. Personally I send my suspension off to the experts and I have it done every 1000-1200 miles or annually whichever comes last.

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Thanks for the rapid replies guys

I had just come across that post regarding superstar components and have asked them exactly which part i needed

That post mentioned ZF56 which they have several colors/choices in stock. I did email them to check, but they asked the following:

You will need to work out the following:

1,Head tube type?

2,Steerer type?

3,Top and bottom cup type? For example:
EC Representing : External Cup
ZS Representing : Zero Stack
IS Representing : Integrated (We do not make or stock IS type headsets at present)

4,The ID (Internal Diameter) of the headtube both top and bottom

5,Headtube length if you are buying our “Slackerizer” headset

(I am hoping the ZF56 part mentioned in the thread is the correct one - the bike is the 2020 model)

In terms of servicing, the bike was bought in June 2020 and so far no servicing. However, the bike is thoroughly clened after every ride, chain degreased, Fenwicks bike wash, Brake pads cleaned with spray, Chain wet or dry lubed and i touch of silicone spray on the fork stancions, seatpost and rear shock

Currently has 750 miles on the clock

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
All you need is to consider is the following:

Top set = Type 5 in whatever colour you'd like (if in stock)
Bottom set Type E in whatever colour you'd like.

I have a 2020 Action Team and went for blue, but you could have different colours for each if you like.

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Thanks MrPeaski!

The type 5 and type E is what they refer to as ZF56. About to order, just deciding on what color :)

Thanks again for the replies guys

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles