Stereo hybrid 160 replacement headset

Ski-nut

Aug 31, 2019
York
The FSA headset fitted to my bike from new started to creak and feel rough, despite stripping down and re greasing after 2/3 rides it either began to creak or developed play. When I had it dismantled, water was present in the cups/ bearings. The design of the FSA headset is poor as there are no seals to stop water entering into the top and bottom cup. After a great (very wet) 3 days riding in lakes a few weeks ago the issue re appeared.
I decided to replace the complete headset, looked at Hope and Cane Creek then stumbled across Superstar Components, a UK engineering company, and hastily bought one from them as it was simple to identify the correct headset on their website.
Got a complete headset, (top and bottom cups, bearings and top cap). Used original stem and better spacers that I had from a previous bike. The quality of the headset was far superior to the oem FSA headset. The Superstar Components headset has seals top and bottom to prevent water entering, the bearings look like quality, the appearance is much better and they are manufactured in the UK. Best of all, the price was less than £30 using a discount code!
Had 1 ride out with new headset and all is good. Time will tell, but the design and quality is top notch. Very impressed.

I love the bike, this is the only issue I've had with the bike since buying it in February. Apart from brake pads and a chain this is the only component I have replaced.

h1.jpg

IMG-1834.JPG

IMG-1835.JPG

IMG-1836.JPG

IMG-1838.JPG

IMG-1840.JPG

Last edited:

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Top man for finding this. Got a set in blue ordered for my 2020 160 AT

For me the stock one has 2 issues:
Firstly the top bearing is poor so the races move axially unless you overtighten the compression bolt.
Secondly the compression ring is plastic and also has a huge gap cut in it in order to run the cables under the stem and through the cap into the frame (instead of through the top tube).

The first 3 rides ended up with me having to adjust the headset, until eventually the upper cap started rubbing on the headset cup.

Turns out that the plastic compression ring had failed so it had got pushed too far into the bearing. I couldn't find a metal replacement so I modelled a new one up in Fusion 360 and 3D printed my own, but this time made it with only a 2mm gap instead of the 20+ one of the original, swapped the bearing out for one I had from an old Hope headset. Same dimensions as the original, but with 45 degree faces instead of 36.
So far nearly 2 months later the headset has been stable after the initial setting up.

Ski-nut

Aug 31, 2019
York
Top man for finding this. Got a set in blue ordered for my 2020 160 AT

For me the stock one has 2 issues:
Firstly the top bearing is poor so the races move axially unless you overtighten the compression bolt.
Secondly the compression ring is plastic and also has a huge gap cut in it in order to run the cables under the stem and through the cap into the frame (instead of through the top tube).

The first 3 rides ended up with me having to adjust the headset, until eventually the upper cap started rubbing on the headset cup.

Turns out that the plastic compression ring had failed so it had got pushed too far into the bearing. I couldn't find a metal replacement so I modelled a new one up in Fusion 360 and 3D printed my own, but this time made it with only a 2mm gap instead of the 20+ one of the original, swapped the bearing out for one I had from an old Hope headset. Same dimensions as the original, but with 45 degree faces instead of 36.
So far nearly 2 months later the headset has been stable after the initial setting up.
Judging by the number of posts on here regarding the headsets its evident cube need fit better quality when in production. (3D printing improved parts is top class)
I read some reviews on SS components headsets after I'd ordered it, all good however a few stated they had been tight to press the cups into the frame, so I measured the top and bottom cups prior to fitting and they both measured exactly the same at 56.00, the removed FSA cups measured 55.99 & 56.00. The SS cups are a nice fit in the frame.
The SS bearings fit better in the SS cups than the FSA bearings in the FSA cups. (The clearance on the bore of the FSA cup is too big)
All went together well, hopefully the headset issues are now over.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
(3D printing improved parts is top class)
Must be fair, since fitting the replacement, I have been carrying the original parts around 'just in case'. I haven't needed to adjust it since fitting and haven't taken it out to see how things are holding up physically.
The headset you have highlighted is just for peace of mind so I can fit and hopefully forget.

Been using Superstar stuff for years from their original Mag pedals (still got) to grips, wheels and chain devices.
Only had 1 item that didn't quite work for me and that was their fancy new Elite Barends I got for my 160 AT, just couldn't get them to fit properly.

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Ive got a cube hybrid reaction pro. Headseat started to creak after a few rides. Got round to it last week and decided to take it apart for curiosity and to see if it needed grease.

Only 210 miles on the bike since september, but the bottom bearing is alot slower than the top to rotate, and its also got quite a bit of rust on on the rotating part of the bearing. Quite a bit of dirty water in around it also, and not much sign of grease.

I did think there should be a seal or something at the bottom, as its a pretty easy route for water to get in off the front tyre spray. Never had one apart before though, so ive just covered it in grease and hopefully that seals the crap out it for a while longer.

Not actually sure how you get the bearings out, as its fixed inside a big plasticy round thing. Not seen any similar on youtube how to videos yet, so need to keep looking if i want to replace at some point.

Ski-nut

Aug 31, 2019
York
Hi scjgreen
I've only been out once with new headset but all is good. My stereo hybrid 160 tm is 2020.
I'm not sure of the size or your headset, it may differ model - model and year of bike. If you compare the specs of my bike with yours on the cube website and they are the same spec then the headset in the previous post will fit.
Please check it first.
I'm out this afternoon, if I have any future issues with the headset ill add it to this thread but I'm confident all is good. Much better than FSA.
Hope you get sorted.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
I have just fitted the Superstar headset as @Ski-nut has done (the same as @scjgreen lists above).
The difference is astounding. The bearings are a nice fit with no play, which meant that on setting the compression, very little tightening of the bolt was needed.
Haven't actually test ridden yet but so far I'm really pleased with it.

On a side note, the 3D printed compression ring I made to replace the poor stock one in the factory headset has held up just fine. There are no signs of it breaking down which i was a little concerned with.

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
Hello all.
Just ordered the same headset from superstar components in gold and they got a black Friday promotion till Tuesday 25% off so they were £26.24 instead of £34.99 bargain.
I will let you know how i get on with them when i fit them.
The fsa headset was creaking and clicking from day one.Tony

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
I have just fitted the Superstar headset as @Ski-nut has done (the same as @scjgreen lists above).
The difference is astounding. The bearings are a nice fit with no play, which meant that on setting the compression, very little tightening of the bolt was needed.
Haven't actually test ridden yet but so far I'm really pleased with it.

On a side note, the 3D printed compression ring I made to replace the poor stock one in the factory headset has held up just fine. There are no signs of it breaking down which i was a little concerned with.
Hello there
Could you tell me what tool you used to remove the old cups from the frame please.
Thanks from Tony

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
I used a thick threaded bar and a hammer to gently tap them out.

Bottom one first. Tap the front of the cup a couple of taps, then the back, then left, then right.
Repeat this until the cup drops out.
Do the same for the top cup.

The crown race fitted to the fork will need to come off too.
For this I used an wide wood chisel, with the bevelled edge up.
Like the cups, gently tap the chisel front/back, left/right until it starts to lift, then turn the chisel over (bevelled edge down) and use it to lever the crown race up, again front/back, left/right.

The new crown race just slides on as it has a split in it.

For the new cups I used a homemade headset press and pressed them in one at a time.

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
Cheers for the info.
I was just seeking to find out how tight the cups were in the frame.
I have both the correct tools to remove and install the cups but i dont have a tool to remove the race.
I will try to post pics and give feedback on how it rides with the new headset.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
The old cups came out pretty easily.
Only needed gentle tapping.

Any 'normal' bike I'd have used a homemade headset rocket to pop the cups out, but it was way too narrow for this one and I didn't want to spread the prongs out and break the tool.

Good luck with yours

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
Ok finally got my superstars headset and put it on with the horizon stem and bars looks and feels great.
Unable to ride it yet due to the weather here at the moment.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
Thanks so much, have the same cracking noise as others guy in this forum, on Stereo Hybrid 140 TM.

Ordered

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
To the guys who have replaced their headsets, how did you get on with the removal of the old cups, and did the new cups press in without trouble?

I want to do the same on my 140 hpc but I am a little nervous about working with the carbon frame.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit, just read the above post by MrPeaski. Doh ?. Did you grease the cups before pressing in?

Last edited:

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
To the guys who have replaced their headsets, how did you get on with the removal of the old cups, and did the new cups press in without trouble?

I want to do the same on my 140 hpc but I am a little nervous about working with the carbon frame.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit, just read the above post by MrPeaski. Doh ?. Did you grease the cups before pressing in?
I know what you mean about a carbon frame:oops: but no, they were really easy to get out and the new ones went in fine, no problems. I used the old hammer and flat punch to remove the old cups and a soft faced hammer to put the new ones in. Just take your time. Don't forget to change the fork crown race. There is one in the kit.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
@Patchinko
No, I wiped the internal faces of the frame before gently pressing in the new cups.
There may have been a slight trace of grease left, but I haven't added any. I did smear a little grease on the new bearings before fitting.

As for the old items, go gently and you'll be fine. the hardest part for me was getting the old crown race off the fork.
This is the first Fox fork I've owned and was surprised that there wasn't some form of cut-out on the fork crown.
Every other fork I've had has had a little cut-out where you can get a flat screwdriver under the crown race to start it off.
But, as with the cups. go gently and you'll be fine.

Ruthie83

May 23, 2020
Stoke On Trent
hi guys am just been having a good read and really glad to see so much info on here reference this issue. Today I stripped down my headset on my 160 and came across the same issue dirt and grease. so am now looking to upgrade to the superstar ones to hopefully resolve the issue am pretty sure I need the same kit as others have mentioned. my only other question is regards to colours as ya we all like a bit go bling and mine is Purple themed just wondering is it the Bottom that you have coloured sorry for the stupid question but on the original post looks like the Botton is colour or am I been thick lol. also do you have to purchase a top cap if you want a coloured one ?

Last edited:

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
Hi guys and thanks once again. for this great topic.

Here the superstar, mounted on my cube, excellent product. Waiting for the first ride :)

Luca

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
Just fitted the Superstar headset. It was the easiest headset change I've ever done. The cups almost went in with thumb pressure?

It is a beautiful piece of kit, but what a piece of crap the original FSA orbit was. How did Cube justify putting such a poor component in a nearly 4 grand bike?

I see they have changed them on the 2021 bikes t Across.

Jasext

Mar 27, 2020
Swansea Valley
Many thanks for the info Ski-nut, just ordered a set for mine, may have to order another set soon as i have a 160 and 140 , the standard ones are shocking.

Does anyone have a discount code ?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles