Top tube carbon cracking Cube Stereo 140 2020

edruid

Jun 11, 2022
Gloucestershire
In addition to cracking under rear shock and around pivot bearings, which happened under waranty and they dismissed.
We now have this (now it's Y3 so technically out of warranty).
Hairline cracks along the length of the top tube!
Anyone else had this?
Should I still be clattering down slopes???
Many thanks

IMG_0409.jpg IMG_0410.jpg

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
😂 no definitely don't work for them.
I think unless you remove the paint you won't know for sure. I don't know if there's such a thing as a carbon fibre frame expert but for piece of mind I'd get the opinion of someone more knowledgeable.

For selling I'd probably look at getting it a respray if it's gonna affect the value that much.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Is the Cube frame warranty really only 2 years???

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Is the Cube frame warranty really only 2 years???
For all frames and rigid forks from model year 2012 and onwards we guarantee from the date of sale from the dealer:
Aluminium: 6-year guarantee
Carbon fibre, aluminium-carbon fibre: 3-year guarantee
If a break occurs during this period (from date of sale), we will replace the item with the same or similar. This warranty applies only to the frame. The cost of components necessary for the frame's function (e.g., seat post, derailleur, headset, rear shock, etc.) must be borne by the customer.

Apparently not (y)

edruid

Jun 11, 2022
Gloucestershire
For all frames and rigid forks from model year 2012 and onwards we guarantee from the date of sale from the dealer:
Aluminium: 6-year guarantee
Carbon fibre, aluminium-carbon fibre: 3-year guarantee
If a break occurs during this period (from date of sale), we will replace the item with the same or similar. This warranty applies only to the frame. The cost of components necessary for the frame's function (e.g., seat post, derailleur, headset, rear shock, etc.) must be borne by the customer.

Apparently not (y)
Thanks. I hope that is correct ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
3 years is still shit. Trek and Spesh have lifetime warranties for their carbon frames.

However,
In addition to cracking under rear shock and around pivot bearings, which happened under warranty and they dismissed.
Length of warranty is irrelevant if they just wiggle out of it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sorry to say I would put that crack down to delamination. There is no reason, for what is a very thin paint layer, to crack due to flex, in a continous straight line. It would be more likely to "craze" if anything. The top tube is primarilly subject to compression loads and on a rectangular shaped tube like the Cube top tube the most likely area to be under most stress are the corner edges especially if the lamination does not wrap fully around them. Is there any sign of cracking on the other side of the top tube......or are your photos of each side?

edruid

Jun 11, 2022
Gloucestershire
Sorry to say I would put that crack down to delamination. There is no reason, for what is a very thin paint layer, to crack due to flex, in a continous straight line. It would be more likely to "craze" if anything. The top tube is primarilly subject to compression loads and on a rectangular shaped tube like the Cube top tube the most likely area to be under most stress are the corner edges especially if the lamination does not wrap fully around them. Is there any sign of cracking on the other side of the top tube......or are your photos of each side?
Cracks are on each side - opposite thanks

edruid

Jun 11, 2022
Gloucestershire
So after 52 days and my bike being sent to Germany I got this repsonse:
'Hi team, Cube came back in the ticket yesterday. They concluded it's not caused by weakness in the frame, but by external force (eg, clamping). They offer a Stereo 140 actionteam 2022 frameset for 1040 GBP, or just the mainframe for 590 GBP under CR.'

Bike shop have asked me if I clamp the top tube in a stand or put the bike in a rack. The answer is no to both questions.
The only place my bike ever leaves my care is the bike shop.

I am very uinhappy.

Thoughts prayers and advice welcome . . .

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
So after 52 days and my bike being sent to Germany I got this repsonse:
'Hi team, Cube came back in the ticket yesterday. They concluded it's not caused by weakness in the frame, but by external force (eg, clamping). They offer a Stereo 140 actionteam 2022 frameset for 1040 GBP, or just the mainframe for 590 GBP under CR.'

Bike shop have asked me if I clamp the top tube in a stand or put the bike in a rack. The answer is no to both questions.
The only place my bike ever leaves my care is the bike shop.

I am very uinhappy.

Thoughts prayers and advice welcome . . .
I mean, it's pretty crap. Most service is these days. But at this point I would just take the L. Accept the mainframe offer for £590 and rebuild the bike.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
So, if you are positive about never having clamped the bike, but have left it at the bikeshop for service…
I think we have a suspect, Sherlok 🧐

carbonflex

Nov 11, 2023
Romania
IMG_20231111_220029.jpg
Same spot but only on one side of the frame. I accidentally saw this because i got protective foil and it wasnt transparent so i didn saw it earlier. I dont know how many rides i ride it like this but my last ride was stunty and if it was the carbon it may have been snapped already 😕 I ride agresive and i think its only the paint since its in one peace. Also i never clapped it on bike stands and est...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
'Hi team, Cube came back in the ticket yesterday. They concluded it's not caused by weakness in the frame, but by external force (eg, clamping).

Wow! I'm so glad that when I got my first CF framed bike that I was never going to clamp on the frame when using the workstand.
I do however use a bike rack on my tow bar, so the top tube does get clamped, but not tightly. Consequently, there is almost no stress on the frame because all the weight is carried by the bike wheels.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles