To clip or not to clip

Jagged

Sep 11, 2022
Asia
how are you finding them ?

Its almost like a flat pedal with more retention on bumpy trails.

I also like the idea that i can still readjust my foot position on the pedal which gives me a much less restricted feeling.

Mud sometimes get in the way for proper magnetic contact but its not a dealbreaker.

daCaTindaHaT

Sep 18, 2022
Colorado
I’m looking at my first emtb and am wondering the same. I’ve used SPDs for 30+ years and love them. I’m not seeing as much advantages with a heavy ebike though. I’m planning on starting with flats and if my feet move too much. The big problem is I have trouble finding shoes in my size like Vans or Chucks so I will wear light hiking boots most likely. I can experiment with the SPDs easy as i have them on my Yeti.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Was riding up a steep hill with a jump lost the front and fell backwards off the bike while clipped in, see the 2nd vertebrae has a big V in the middle where the one above crushed and fractured it.

‘now use flats

ECB51BD0-098F-4C35-8CEE-92E6DF3645ED.jpeg

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
If you never ride really technical trails and don't need your shoes to feel like normal shoes when you're off the bike, you can use clipless forever and never really miss anything.

The worst part about flats is having your foot slip and getting your shin or Achilles tendon gouged by the pedal pins. Other than that, having the confidence knowing you can quickly dab if things get hairy is a big deal when the trail gets sketchy.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Hello,
recaling this topic.
How ajustable are the MAgpeg conection?
Supose we can play with the mag strenght and position/distance to cleat.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hello,
recaling this topic.
How ajustable are the MAgpeg conection?
Supose we can play with the mag strenght and position/distance to cleat.
There’s 3 different strengths of magnets available (100, 150, 200). I moved to 200 within a week. 100’s are for junior. More sticktion is possible with different length and orientation of pins.

I liked mine but now I’m trying the Avery Hustle REM Tech. Slightly different magnetic system.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
flats all the way,I have ridden them since I bmx raced in my teens (61 now)and for me I have tried clip ins a few times and hated it every time ,with practice you can jump and ride rock gardens at speed and never lose a foot,in fact jumping the bike is easier on flats.Everyone to their own but Hope or the new Cardertech 12/6s which I just bought for wifeys birthday are both excellent.My Hopes are 10 years old I think and are still as smooth and tight as the day I got them.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
I use the special multi-release cleat, so it's very easy to get my foot released fast.
It's Shimano SM-SH56 - very cheap.

That all I use too, a good yank and your foot comes out, probably similar to the magpeds, or slightly better.
I learned all my technique on pre BMX and then BMX (along with all the floating bits of bone in my shins) later actual clips on full rigid MTB, and now SPD multi release.
I can ride fine on flats, I just prefer being clipped in, I've no idea if I get more power from them though.

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
Rode for years with clipless on my mtb and road bikes.
On the new Emtb went to flats.
No issues on flats - ex moto-crosser.
After 700 miles switched to clipless.
Reason: flat shoes did not fit. PAIN after 2 hours. Tried over a dozen pairs, seriously.
Sidi clipless fit extremely well with no issues.
Now my quads are painful, but battery efficiency is up. Interesting.
Riding better than ever before.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
You might want to re-think that ..
100% on an MTB ...it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference when pulling up on an ebike ..
Have to 100% disagree with this. If you are just cruising then that is the case but if you are pushing hard there is definitely power to be gained with clips. Of course that's just my opinion but it is backed by some amount of science as well. Been thoroughly peer reviewed of course 😄

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Been riding clips on XC and enduro bikes for 8 years. Got my Rail 10 weeks ago and put flats on cause it seemed to be what most were doing and I had some one up flats.

I'm going to switch back to clips on the Ebike, foot doesn't move around on jumps, I appreciate the locked in feeling over rough ground. May switch my cleats to SH56 multi release though.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
I ride clipped in during dry season and flats for wet/snow season. Not a huge difference between the 2 for me. I like that my feet are perfectly placed on the pedals with clips. I think that riding flats is more "fun".

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
So far, this entire thread has been mere opinions.
If you want the truth about flats vs clipless, then watch this 58 second video.
I wish I knew how to post it here, but I'm too dumb and can only post a link.
Which kind of rider do YOU want to be?

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Rustyiron,to be fair opinions are all you are going to get if you ask a question on here,I will only ride flats because they are better for everything (my opinion) my mate only rides clipless he thinks flats suck ( his opinion)we both ride the same trails at roughly the same speed,he is a bit faster on loose gravelly surfaces,I am better when it get very steep and technical.Go figure,Oh yes and I can bunny hop higher than him
all the best

KlaasNorg

Jul 22, 2021
Netherlands
I like riding my SPD's but after a while my pedal - shoe combi is making this creaking sound that drives me crazy. Bought new shoes and it was gone for a while but a month in they started creaking again. Bought XT SPD's, silence for a while, but now creaking again. Cleaned them spotless and....still creaking. Switched over to flats and I like the silence. But sometimes the bike kickes me of the pedals, mostly lack of my capabilities. Well all in all it is love - hate for both flats and clips.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
The push, yes. The pull is so much less that it doesn't matter
Well...my display (Garmin Edge 1040) tell me the added reward in percent.
If I push a little it tells me 10 %
If I push harder it tells me 50 %.
The max value I get when I push/pull, so I know it works in my situation/bike/motor/configuration.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Well...my display (Garmin Edge 1040) tell me the added reward in percent.
If I push a little it tells me 10 %
If I push harder it tells me 50 %.
The max value I get when I push/pull, so I know it works in my situation/bike/motor/configuration.
You are only getting it on the push ..and no-one is arguing about that ..you're getting next to nowt on the pull 🤪( let it go !)

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
There's plenty of articles out there debunking the fact that clipped in pedals produce more power or have better efficiency than flats, certainly for any sustained effort (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19424280.2016.1140817 ). You could make the argument on an ebike that the pulling motion is a different set of muscle movements, and maybe with very high assistance you could stay a bit fresher, but it most likely isn't a whole lot. Basically, don't chose your pedals for efficiency or peak power.

When I switched over to clips from flats years ago on regular mtb, my main goal was to be able to ride "lighter" and with more control. I definitely noticed I was a lot less hard on wheels/tyres as you can react and unweigh the bike much faster than with flats, also placing the rear end more precisely in tech sections or jumps. I live near the alps now, so dry trails + switchbacks make clips a fairly naturl choice (roughly 90% of riders I know are clipped). If I moved back to a wetter country I would seriously consider going back to flats.

That said, on the ebike I see a major advantage of flats in being able to get started easily on climbs, with clips the extra second or so required to clip in both feet makes resetting on singletrack climbs a nigthmare.

tjl5709

Feb 20, 2023
Michigan
Timely thread for me while searching. It's good to see all the banter. I'm going eMTB for the first time this year at age 62. After 25+ years clipless on all my analog road/gravel/fatty/MTB I was wondering what options people go with now in this area. After reading this thread, I'll stick with what I'm comfortable with and go from there.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Timely thread for me while searching. It's good to see all the banter. I'm going eMTB for the first time this year at age 62. After 25+ years clipless on all my analog road/gravel/fatty/MTB I was wondering what options people go with now in this area. After reading this thread, I'll stick with what I'm comfortable with and go from there.
There is no right or wrong its totally a personal preference so i would definitely stick with what you know (y)
Enjoy the new steed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles