To clip or not to clip

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
Rode clips on the road for decades. Fell over on an MTB on slow hairpin turns. Lots of laughter from the gallery. But liked being attached to the bike on the way down a hill.

Got flats and many holes in my shins, although I did get better in the end. Never liked the way my feet would bounce around on the pedal.

Been riding Magpeds for two years now. Won't go back to cleats or flats.

Gordon
are these the ones ?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Most pro enduro and DH racers are now clipless (and 100% of XC racers), FWIW. If you grew up riding BMX or moto, flats may be a more natural option. But for 90+% of riders, clipless is the way to go. I tried flats for a couple days in the bike park, and I was never able to get used to it. Went back to clipless for most of my rides. The only time I ride flat pedals now is in the winter to avoid the cleats getting jammed up with snow and ice.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Click pedals and shoes are for road bikers who are lost and ended up in the bushes.
Yes but blabla,... until you ask them to do a wheelie, jump or short turn after a downhill.

Went there, true you have more power and they are better for archieving top efficiency, but I went back.

And by the way, those "combination" PD-EH500 pedals I have here... are the worst of both worlds.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Click pedals and shoes are for road bikers who are lost and ended up in the bushes.
Yes but blabla,... until you ask them to do a wheelie, jump or short turn after a downhill.

Went there, true you have more power and they are better for archieving top efficiency, but I went back.

And by the way, those "combination" PD-EH500 pedals I have here... are the worst of both worlds.

Curious why most pro DH and enduro riders run clipless. There must be *some* benefit!?

Trom

Sep 1, 2022
Holmfirth
Shimano PD-ED500 light action SPD pedals - two sided mechanism

I used these for spring summer dry riding, good large platform, good release and clip in feel !, however gone back to flats when winter came (HT's), as a bit scary on steeper muddy stuff.
T

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Anyone using magnetic pedals, how do you rate them?
Highly. Now my pedal of choice on all my bikes.

If choosing Magpeds then definitely go for the stronger magnet. I have also changed my shoe plates to the optional extra sticky ones and there’s an improvement in magnetic power. You can also get plastic locators (for the gravel pedals but usable on enduro) if you like a more locked in feel. I prefer to let my feet have some movement.

Obviously not as efficient as a full cleat. But I can circular pedal on road and up fire roads. Not on rough tracks. Basically the magnets keep the pins embedded in the sole when you lift your foot.

You do use the pins as part of the system so you need shoes with a grippy sole and a cleat housing. Not many do both. Best I’ve found is the Specialized 2FR.

Getting out is the same as a flat with a bit more force. You don’t even think about it and you don’t need to get used to them.

Gordon

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Curious why most pro DH and enduro riders run clipless. There must be *some* benefit!?

When 1/10th’s matter they probably do make a difference. Especially at the speeds they travel at they want the bike to alwyas go the same direction they do. And they accept the downsides of more difficulty unclipping.

I don’t ride at that level so those incremental gains mean less than the ease of getting a foot down when I need to.

Sam Hill won the EWS three times and describes clips as restrictive. So they’re not faster for everyone. Choice is good.

Gordon

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
1663421538816.png

I have a pair of these magnetic pedals... they are great... heavy... but I am not worried about that...

The longer you are on the pedal... the stronger the grab.

Love em.

Savan

Dec 16, 2021
Iowa
Spd for road/gravel, flats for mtb

20 something years on spd. I know how to get out of them fast. It’s still not fast enough to react to the trail at speed for me.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
Tried SPD and to be honest for me they were lethal. I did find them an advantage for accelerating but it was going to end in tears, mine.

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
I'm in the SPD camp.I've used them for 20+ years, I don't see me changing to flats anytime soon.

Shimano PD-M520s are great, I have three sets on three different bikes Orbea Urrun eMTB, Orange G3 'acoustic' MTB and Merida road bike.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I use clips on my gravel bike - flats on the MTB

I was tempted when I had my hard tail emtb to use those crank bros pedals where you can use either, there are some big climbs on a route around the yorkshire dales where I wish I had clips for a bit more leg power... but then I sold that bike and got a full suspension and nearly always use it at bike parks

Clips would scare the shit out of me, I like the option to bail when I need to - and with good pedals and five tens the grip is insane so I've never slipped off the pedal.

I think if you're a cross country or gravel track kinda rider than clips could make a lot of sense, but I could never use them for the heavy stuff

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Clipless on road bike, which I don't do anymore, flats on emtb.
I tried magpeds, though a great product, didn't work for me.

I don't race except with myself, sometimes I stop at the Pub on my way back home, 5-10s very fashionable! 😁

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Been riding Magpeds for two years now. Won't go back to cleats or flats.
Same here. For almost the same reasons.
I always used spd’s on my road bikes. When I started riding eMTB’s I tried flats after my stroke. That was a comical disaster IMO.
Magnetic Peddles it was. Magped’s then eventually Hustle Avery, Remtech.
B7860C32-936E-4F20-B63D-A1528F52D26D.jpeg

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Clipless about 30 years since original shimano spd. Many years on shimano but tried most others also. Have now settled on HT. Very similar to Shimano but with a lot more feel prior to release point. Also don't seem to unclip unintentionally as the shimano sometimes can. Favourite shoe is Unparalleled. Leatte 4 also quite good but not as durable. Good luck with whatever you decide

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Coming from a Moto background and not adverse to a few tricks I initially went for flats but fouind myself changing. Way back I found myself a lot more comfortable with SPDs as when I came across a hole some clown had dug or a drainage channel on a trail I found it much easier to 'lift' the bike, not to mention the added power available on the up stroke. Moving to an ebike, my first ride was on flats and I really hated it - did not feel attached to the bike when on fast, gnarly chutes.
As an aside, I tried Crank Bros, Time & Look but never really felt comfortable with them and always back to the SPD.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I tried clips many years ago, promising to persist for at least three months. In the end I did 18 months on clips. But it was my first sortie into proper mtb territory that persuaded me of the benefits of flats. You see, I just could not unclip when my knee was at the top (or near) of the stroke. Cue many comedy falls - only funny to onlookers of course. I picked up a lot of cuts, scrapes and bruises and serious near misses. So, I switched back to flats and apart from a short adjustment period trying to unclip a 510 Freerider from a flat pedal (enduring yet more comedy falls!) I got on absolutely great. I use the clips now and again just to keep my eye in as it were but only on local roads, nothing gnarly at all. I have learned my lesson.

I have no idea whether an emtb changes the risk/reward equation, but I suspect not (I haven't tried it). You are either comfortable with clips or not and on anything other than easy terrain, I'm not. It is worth a try just to add a new skill to your repertoire, but do yourself a favour and go somewhere easy to start with.
I agree Steve. I have been a roadie 'with clip-ins' and that was fine, although I did have a couple of very slow offs when I was concentrating on traffic around me. Last few years it is far safer riding on the MTB trails with no traffic to worry about. With an e-mtb with 750 wH motor, there is no need for clip-ins. The only advantage with clip-ins was less pedal strikes, but I will settle for flats so I am in control when on the odd occasion I need to abandon ship quickly.

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
This topic has been debated ad nauseum throughout the interwebs and time and space itself.

Clipless:
Increased efficiency
Makes up for poor technique
Allows riders to never learn proper technique
Keeps bike underneath rider when the track is unbelievably gnarly (think world cup dh holding onto a bucking bronco missile) but still unclips sometimes (see world cup dh unclipping)

Flats:
Learn better technique (pumping through rough sections, rollers. Turns. Jumping and bunny hopping.)
More float for your knees instead of repetitive overuse injuries
More comfortable shoes you can wear into a bar instead of tap dancing shoes
Foot position adjustability like moto pegs

Fwiw I've ridden both. If I was still racing xc or cared that much about efficiency I would ride clips. If I was racing DH or Enduro and cared about the fraction of a second time difference to be able to go nuclear through a super rough section and pedaling efficiency I would go clipless. I don't care about those things anymore and ride to have fun so I go flats.

If I had time, money, and motivation I would ride both.

My experience fwiw

Of note: redbull hardline pics of bikes looks like maybe at least some riders riding flats. Tough to tell from the pictures. Likely comes down to personal preference and type of track.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles