MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
Hi folks! I'm new to this forum. I'm by no means new to mountain biking or EMTBs however I've just received my new Orbea rise m20 2023. I couldn't resist the price these days of a brand new one and really fancied something lighter than my full fat nukeproof megawatt. But I'm after a bit of guidance regarding the mess that is the cockpit it came with. I'm in the UK so rear brake left and back brake right. The cables for everything just seem an absolute mess from the factory. Can any UK riders put some pics up of their cockpit if you've managed to get it looking clean? I feel like with how mine has came that there's going to be a lot of rubbing, hoses clanking on the the bars and frame. The cable that connects the controller just seems to dangle around in no man's land and the dropper cable seems way too long. Pictures I've seen, which tend to be the oppisite brake setup look extremely clean. It's by no means awful, could just do with a bit of tidying up. I've attached some pics of mine. Thanks folk I look forward to hearing from you all!

View attachment 20240524_083310.jpg View attachment 20240524_083306.jpg View attachment 20240524_083256.jpg View attachment 20240524_083251.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Welcome to the forums.

So I’m not the only one with this syndrome. I admit that I’m a little OCD when it comes to tidiness …but I don’t see dirt. That’s why the Wife and I get along so well. (She’s a nurse and cleans everything).

A tidy cockpit was a priority when I got the Rail 9.7. I added the wireless AXS Reverb dropper and AXS GX derailer. Two cables gone from the cockpit. The extremely massive screen (imo) on the Purion was changed to a top-tube mounted Kiox. A light/gopro mount on the stem is barely noticeable (Bontrager setup). When I installed the Magura MT7 brakes I added an angle thingy where the brake hose exits the lever (special order). This keeps the brake hoses closer to the bar/frame. I have a jingle-bell attached to the bar but I don’t see or hear it after a while.

Magura brake lever.

IMG_7624.jpeg
My work bench.

IMG_7623.jpeg

I had to ask my dog to include himself in this picture. Look away if this bothers you …There’s 10 pairs of shoes 👠 at my entrance 😳.

IMG_7622.jpeg
“I accept the things I can’t control” 😉

doochenozzle

May 16, 2023
Dildo, Newfoundland
Could you re-route the cables so they’re going into their more traditional side when entering the headset? Is part of your problem that they just flipped the brakes left to right without rerouting? I despise headset routing and have considered re-routing my lines to go along the top of the downtube with those sticky cable fasteners. Easy access and maintenance. Next go axs for derailleur and shifter leaving only the dropper through the headset. I don’t think I can go axs there - it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Cables and wires are so 2005. AXS shifters + dropper = super clean cockpit and no tangled mess in a crash.

LA_Stu

May 4, 2024
Los Angeles
I just got one of these a few weeks ago. I'm in the US, so brakes are set up opposite, but I don't think that makes too much difference. I found that you can easily push the cables/hoses further into headset so the extra length is hidden inside the frame. Doing this and matching the length/curve of your dropper cable to your rear brake hose will make a big difference.

The Di2 connector is supposed to be inside your stem, so if you remove the handlebar and put it where it's supposed to be that'll make a difference. On mine there's only a small section of wire visible (and it's hardly visible). If you go to the Orbea website you can download their "blue paper" on the bike and find diagrams showing this.

I've attached a couple of pictures of mine and a screenshot from the blue paper.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 12.47.31 PM.png Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 12.54.38 PM.png Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 12.56.38 PM.png

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions! I won't be dropping money on wireless shifters and droppers just yet, but it certainly been burning in the back of my mind. I'm getting out of bed right now to head downstairs and sort the controller cable out as per that diagram and I'm going to try and push the dropper cable further into the frame, failing that I've got cutters and will sort that out another day. Thanks again. Very simple solutions that didn't cross my mind.

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums.

So I’m not the only one with this syndrome. I admit that I’m a little OCD when it comes to tidiness …but I don’t see dirt. That’s why the Wife and I get along so well. (She’s a nurse and cleans everything).

A tidy cockpit was a priority when I got the Rail 9.7. I added the wireless AXS Reverb dropper and AXS GX derailer. Two cables gone from the cockpit. The extremely massive screen (imo) on the Purion was changed to a top-tube mounted Kiox. A light/gopro mount on the stem is barely noticeable (Bontrager setup). When I installed the Magura MT7 brakes I added an angle thingy where the brake hose exits the lever (special order). This keeps the brake hoses closer to the bar/frame. I have a jingle-bell attached to the bar but I don’t see or hear it after a while.

Magura brake lever.

View attachment 140927
My work bench.

View attachment 140928

I had to ask my dog to include himself in this picture. Look away if this bothers you …There’s 10 pairs of shoes 👠 at my entrance 😳.

View attachment 140929
Nice facilities you've got going on there. I also have accepted shoegate. The missus doesn't understand the concept of the understairs cupboard and that cupboards are to put stuff in.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
No harm to you OCD cockpit obsessives but I really don't get it. I honestly don't care about the cables and hoses being visible as long as everything works. As a bike shop mechanic I also hate the move to everything being internally routed, it makes easy, routine maintenance tasks harder purely in the name of appearance. It's the bike equivalent of Botox and lip fillers IMHO! 😜

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
I just got one of these a few weeks ago. I'm in the US, so brakes are set up opposite, but I don't think that makes too much difference. I found that you can easily push the cables/hoses further into headset so the extra length is hidden inside the frame. Doing this and matching the length/curve of your dropper cable to your rear brake hose will make a big difference.

The Di2 connector is supposed to be inside your stem, so if you remove the handlebar and put it where it's supposed to be that'll make a difference. On mine there's only a small section of wire visible (and it's hardly visible). If you go to the Orbea website you can download their "blue paper" on the bike and find diagrams showing this.

I've attached a couple of pictures of mine and a screenshot from the blue paper.

View attachment 140958 View attachment 140959 View attachment 140960
Just wondering... did yours come with the tool that slots into the linkage? Doesn't seem that mine did 😕

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
No harm to you OCD cockpit obsessives but I really don't get it. I honestly don't care about the cables and hoses being visible as long as everything works. As a bike shop mechanic I also hate the move to everything being internally routed, it makes easy, routine maintenance tasks harder purely in the name of appearance. It's the bike equivalent of Botox and lip fillers IMHO! 😜

But man, wireless really is rather awesome. I've converted the entire fleet to AXS.

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
But man, wireless really is rather awesome. I've converted the entire fleet to AXS.
So. I messed up trying to shorten the dropper cable. I was going to anyways...but I got myself a wireless dropper instead of faffing on with the absolute nightmare that internal routing is... Magura, for the price point and I'm more than happy with it! Treat myself to a new saddle too. Behold the beauty!

View attachment 20240529_175928.jpg View attachment 20240529_175937.jpg

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
So. I messed up trying to shorten the dropper cable. I was going to anyways...but I got myself a wireless dropper instead of faffing on with the absolute nightmare that internal routing is... Magura, for the price point and I'm more than happy with it! Treat myself to a new saddle too. Behold the beauty!

View attachment 141302 View attachment 141303
Nice! And some bling as well. You're halfway there...

LA_Stu

May 4, 2024
Los Angeles

View attachment 141302 View attachment 141303
@MosesCuz did you find a way to close the hole left in the seal for the headset after removing the cable for the dropper, or did you decide it doesn't really matter? I'm wondering because I made a similar mod :)

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
@MosesCuz did you find a way to close the hole left in the seal for the headset after removing the cable for the dropper, or did you decide it doesn't really matter? I'm wondering because I made a similar mod :)

Just keep in mind that plugs and sealant to keep stuff out often keeps stuff in, too.

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
The rubber grommets seem readily available to buy from plenty of places online. But I can't find any blank ones. Gap in the market there.

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums.

Magura brake lever.

View attachment 140927
My work bench.

View attachment 140928

View attachment 140929
I'm back! I'm definitely thinking about adding the sram axs to my bike. My question is, can I simply just fit the derailleur and shifter without changing anything else on my drive train. I've attached a screenshot of the components currently on the bike. I've seen videos of people running it with shimano chain and cassette but I'm not sure if my cassette would fall under that bracket as ive seen none mentioning it... I've also added a kmc 12 speed oil slick chain for a bit of extra bling. I'm now pretty much 100% happy with the bike. The axs ain't necessary but it's something I'll likely wanna go with. And if its as easy as just firing them onto the existing drivetrain then f**k it! Might aswell.

Screenshot_20240605_194200_Samsung Internet.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve been using the AXS Sram GX derailer and the Shimano XT cassette with the hyper-glide (HG 8100) chain for about three years now. The guide wheel (lower jockey) may be the only issue. (Narrow/wide). Ethirteen chainring.

The only problem I have with this setup is; too fast, too smooth, too quiet. Other than that …I like it 👍🏻

LA_Stu

May 4, 2024
Los Angeles
I'm back! I'm definitely thinking about adding the sram axs to my bike. My question is, can I simply just fit the derailleur and shifter without changing anything else on my drive train. I've attached a screenshot of the components currently on the bike. I've seen videos of people running it with shimano chain and cassette but I'm not sure if my cassette would fall under that bracket as ive seen none mentioning it... I've also added a kmc 12 speed oil slick chain for a bit of extra bling. I'm now pretty much 100% happy with the bike. The axs ain't necessary but it's something I'll likely wanna go with. And if its as easy as just firing them onto the existing drivetrain then f**k it! Might aswell.

View attachment 141650

Just a suggestion in case you're not aware of it - you may want to consider the Shimano M8150 Di2 setup instead. It's a wired setup, but really doesn't take that much to install considering the wiring from the motor to the cockpit is already done. Some benefits are that it runs off the main battery, and you can shift while coasting without having to pedal (the motor rotates the chainring just enough to shift), which is useful in some situations.

I went down this path, so if you're interested and want some more info/tips, let me know.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I went down this path, so if you're interested and want some more info/tips, let me know.
I did it to my 2023 Merida e160, with a EP6 motor. There is a whole thread on how to do it. I used that thread to get mine converted. It's cheaper than putting the Sram AXS, and keeps everything Shimano. You'll also get FREE SHIFT with the Di2 setup. Which means you can change gear when coasting.

1717652613547.png

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
Just a suggestion in case you're not aware of it - you may want to consider the Shimano M8150 Di2 setup instead. It's a wired setup, but really doesn't take that much to install considering the wiring from the motor to the cockpit is already done. Some benefits are that it runs off the main battery, and you can shift while coasting without having to pedal (the motor rotates the chainring just enough to shift), which is useful in some situations.

I'll look into it 🙂

I'll look into it 🙂 out of curiosity what are you setting the sag at for the fox 34 float performance forks? Conflicting information online and on the fox website itself. Fox is suggesting 15 to 20% and then videos and some fox articles are stating to aim for 25%. I've got them set to 20% but they do feel quite stiff. Maybe just feels that way coming from 170mm rockshox zebs.

LA_Stu

May 4, 2024
Los Angeles
I'll look into it 🙂

I'll look into it 🙂 out of curiosity what are you setting the sag at for the fox 34 float performance forks? Conflicting information online and on the fox website itself. Fox is suggesting 15 to 20% and then videos and some fox articles are stating to aim for 25%. I've got them set to 20% but they do feel quite stiff. Maybe just feels that way coming from 170mm rockshox zebs.
I set it to 20% and it feels ok to me, but I'm quite new to mountain bikes, so I'm not the best judge of these things.

MosesCuz

May 23, 2024
United Kingdom
Got a nice pic of the steed today. Got some 150mm fox float factory forks coming tomorrow then I think all boxes are ticked for me. Decided to leave wireless shifting for now, will upgrade in the future. Only one niggle remaining, and I'm assuming it's obnoxiously loud rattling from the internal routing. Anyone else getting that?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles