Thumb pain.

Denpot29

Sep 27, 2020
Crawley
Hi,

Does anyone else suffer with thumb pain from riding? it’s only my left thumb but it’s really sore to move in certain directions, with lower strength.

Must be due to the extra pressures from riding an E-bike.

Anyone have any advice? Or is it just an age thing!!! ?

Last edited:

nomad66

Sep 12, 2020
bolton
try this stuff,

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Overuse tendinitis caused by improper positioning of the dropper post lever and battery assist buttons near the left grip is a common cause. Try rotating these further underneath the handle bar so there is less ergonomic stress when repeatedly pressing them.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
You could try different grips. Ergon for example, do all kinds of shaped grips that will alter how you hold the bars.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Have you had a crash or off lately? Quite often the thumb is the last thing left hanging onto the bike and can damage the tendons attached to it. I have found that the initial injury is masked by other factors like the adrenaine boost & more apparent scratches & the effects only crop up when riding again (in my case shifting gears on the RHS).
If you haven't injured it then yes aging is a bugger ?

Denpot29

Sep 27, 2020
Crawley
No recent crash, through luck not skill!!

I’ll try a slight tweak on my controls and maybe go for a larger diameter grip.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Give consideration that it may be early arthritis.
I have arthritis in both knees and parts of my hands. In my hands, it started with both thumb joints (the one closest to the nail). They hurt like hell until the damage was done, now they don't hurt. Then my right little finger, then both forefingers, then my left little finger. Same story with each. It has now moved to my left thumb, this time the 2nd and 3rd joints together. They hurt, reduce my grip strength and also my grip range (where I can put my thumb in my palm). Pushing my dropper release is painful and sometimes I fail to trigger in time. :eek:

I use Ergon GP1 grips and they help a lot. But in the end, Volterol joint pain gel (double strength vs the muscle relief version) does the job. Apply half and hour before riding to let it: a) soak in and dry and b) take effect.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Is it the the thumb or the carpometacarpal? Ergon grips, adjusting the brake levers to an approx 45 degree angle, moving the levers inboard, and adjusting the rise of the handlebars all helped me but I couldn't tell you which one was having the most impact.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles