Thule EasyFold XT arm clamp position

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
Picked up my E160RS this morning but had real difficulty getting the shorter arm on the Thule EasyFold XT to be able to grip anywhere securely on the bike. For those that use this rack and preferably bike whereabouts attaching the clamp to securely hold it?

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
I had the same issue only way could get the first bike on was to clamp around the shock which I did not think was a good idea. I always used to recommend Thule, but there customer service is shocking, they was not interested as purchased from halfords

in the end I bought a longer arm and moded it so it fitted. but it is a ball ache. Unless you need the rack to fold up small I would purchase another rack.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I hate this rack, for such a money it was rather poor investment for me, but it's the smallest we can use legally in Europe. I am so jealous of those 1UP racks you can use in US.
Fitting full-fat Levo was downright impossible, took me good while.

Nice link with that Fiamma Block Pro, will look into it. D1 looks like good choice perhaps.

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
I might give this a go too the other thing is the wheels straps wear out very quick some of the ridges have broken on mine

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I have the same rack and bike (e160s but obviously the same frame), it took a bit of working out but the small clamp fits very securely just above the motor.
I couldn’t find anywhere else it would fit, my wife’s bike is in the way but you can clearly see my bike behind and how it is held.
B3225213-F885-440A-885B-1D514EDA836B.jpeg

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
I have the same rack and bike (e160s but obviously the same frame), it took a bit of working out but the small clamp fits very securely just above the motor.
I couldn’t find anywhere else it would fit, my wife’s bike is in the way but you can clearly see my bike behind and how it is held. View attachment 85265
Thanks Stoffel, there is another thread running where someone else posted an image using the same position so I'm going to try that tomorrow to see how secure it is for me but if I'm still not happy I'll order the Fiamma arm. First time fitting bike to rack and just wanted to get home with it so didn't really have the time to spend on it 👍

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I've got an e160RS and a Thule 2 bike rack. I'm not sure if you have the same rack but I put the long arm on the top of the fork stantion (not on the moving bit) and the other smaller one on the small triangle near the seat post tube. I also use two ratchet tie downs.

I found the wheel carriers on the Thule a bit too short for my bike, a large, so I have unbolted and moved one down about 8cm so the wheel rachet straps work on both wheels.

Simmo3801

Mar 26, 2022
Midlothian
I've got an e160RS and a Thule 2 bike rack. I'm not sure if you have the same rack but I put the long arm on the top of the fork stantion (not on the moving bit) and the other smaller one on the small triangle near the seat post tube. I also use two ratchet tie downs.

I found the wheel carriers on the Thule a bit too short for my bike, a large, so I have unbolted and moved one down about 8cm so the wheel rachet straps work on both wheels.
I used the small clamp under the rear shock as in the photo Hobo Mikey posted above and it worked a treat. I'll try the long arm on the forks next time. Mine is a medium and the front wheel strap could do with being longer so I'll look into moving it, thanks

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I used the small clamp under the rear shock as in the photo Hobo Mikey posted above and it worked a treat. I'll try the long arm on the forks next time. Mine is a medium and the front wheel strap could do with being longer so I'll look into moving it, thanks
You can buy longer wheel straps, I got mine from Roof box Company, although the small straps are ok with my bike which is a medium (y)

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
It's not really the strap but the black sliding shoe that I moved. It does mean undoing the captive nut and extending it. I then used a long bolt and spacer tube to secure it again. The lock down wheel straps are quite nice and firm to use.

Giox

Aug 4, 2020
Switzerland/Italy
I replaced the short arm with Fiamma bike block pro d1. Makes mounting any bike with ease now.
I did exactly the same on both the velospace and the easyfold. Way better than the standard thule arm for Whytes. Also bought the XL straps but only for the Velospace Xt 3, on the easyfold for some reason the standard ones work well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles