• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Thru Axle Maintenance?

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
Had suspension serviced couple of months ago and guy said axle was pretty seized on. Just going to change to tyres and once again, axle seized again.

Managed to get it off with a bit of ingenuity but is there a good grease, oil to use? Is it a case of removing every couple of rides and cleaning and oiling??

Thanks

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
The through axle should rotate on bearings. Are some of the bearings bad?
No, it should not be necessary to remove, grease and reinstall a through axle to keep it operating properly.
Is it not spinning or is it just hard to remove?

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The through axle should rotate on bearings. Are some of the bearings bad?
No, it should not be necessary to remove, grease and reinstall a through axle to keep it operating properly.
Is it not spinning or is it just hard to remove?
Surely the bearings should rotate on the thru axle, not vice versa???

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
You are both equally correct. The outer race stays stuck to the bike frame. The inner race stays stuck to the axle. It's the balls and cage that move separately to both frame and axle. :)
I meant the portion of the inner axle that the bearings are pressed onto and on the hub shell body on the outer surface. The OP's description of the problem with the "through axle" is a bit unclear. If it's just the "quick release" part of the connection, the problem could be difficulty inserting and removing. If it's a frozen bearing, the problem could be lack of rotation.
This is a good illustration on the i9 Hydras:

Last edited:

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
Sorry I wasn’t clear. It’s the front wheel hub axle. Wouldn’t pull out so release oil and leverage eventually got it out. Either end, a short distance in, the axle has a build up of crap where I assume it had become stuck to the hub. Not sure what i can clean/fix on inner side of hub??

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Sorry I wasn’t clear. It’s the front wheel hub axle. Wouldn’t pull out so release oil and leverage eventually got it out. Either end, a short distance in, the axle has a build up of crap where I assume it had become stuck to the hub. Not sure what i can clean/fix on inner side of hub??
Cool, so not bearings. A new through axle might do the trick, or clean it up and grease it and that might solve the problem. Wouldn't THAT be nice?!
No damage to the threads?

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I've had an axle seize to a hub before. As I wound it out, the rear triangle spread apart which was alarming. I had to get that thing drilled out. Since then, I apply a film of grease to the axles & regularly take them out & clean them.

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
1698759782758.jpeg
1698759782758.jpeg
I’ve ordered a new axle. As you can see, the axle is scratched/worn marks.

I’m going to clean inside of hub and oil/grease well.

Any ideas why the damage has occurred?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

See Post #10.
Some will tell you grease is not necessary. The bike store boys don't do it. The YouTube jockeys don't do it.
But your pictures show what happens when you don't use grease to protect the metal and inhibit water intrusion.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
View attachment 128057 View attachment 128057 I’ve ordered a new axle. As you can see, the axle is scratched/worn marks.

That is fine particles of dirt and grit build up through lack of removal of axle for months if not years.

Clean in up, Grease it up, remove every month or 2 to inspect and clean.

Job done.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
View attachment 128057 View attachment 128057 I’ve ordered a new axle. As you can see, the axle is scratched/worn marks.

I have some vision loss, so it's hard for me to see exactly what's going on. Greasing the new through axle can't hurt (and definitely grease threads and metal on metal), but through axles shouldn't contact any portion of the hub axle. Properly fitting undamaged end caps will provide separation. Are they in good shape? Might as well check everything out while it's pulled apart.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles