Thread lock recommendation

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
When I get my seat stay comes back from Whyte I’ll need some thread lock, can anyone recommend one that will keep my bike together but removable if I need to take it apart please, thanks.

Sean

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Blue Loctite, I like this one. 1592084315989227939871873292946.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
A medium strength lock is what you’ll normally use on some of the larger bolts
Personally use this:

Bond-It A43 Threadlock 50ml - Blue medium strength anaerobic oil tolerant threadlocker - seals out moisture & prevents corrosion

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I'm going to go against the grain here and say vibra-tite blue. I was a blue loctite user for >30 years, but I found I preferred vibratite as it had the same holding strength for initial application, but much better after adjustment. Unless you carry some blue loctite with you on the trail, it loses most of it's value after you break the bolt lose the first time, vibratite exhibits much better behavior in my experience in the situation.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I use Loctite 248 for convenience, it is like a glue stick (or lip salve, don't mix them up) but that Vibra-tite looks interesting. Good point about on the trails but also when you do a bolt check.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
So do I, and if on a bolt check I cinched up a bolt, I would consider removing it and reapplying thread lock. But, there are two motor bolts on the Levo (lower rear) that are hidden under the chain stays, hoses etc. Just a bolt check requires undoing the top shock mount to collapse the rear in order to access it. Removing those bolts is a PITA.

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I always make the assumption that any time you remove a bolt you need to re thread lock it.

That's why I like vibra-tite. It does a good job of breaking that assumption. But yes, if you are a fan of loc-tite, then that is a critical point to remember. When I make trail repairs or adjustments, especially on my dirt bike, I like not worrying that parts will rattle out on the way home if I don't reapply thread locker to them so I find value in it. But like I said, I know I'm going against the well known name here, just providing my two cents as I found it a nice upgrade from loc-tite for my uses, most specifically to avoid the re-application. If you carry a stick of blue loc-tite with you on your rides, probably no big advantage.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
That's why I like vibra-tite. It does a good job of breaking that assumption.
I bought the Loctite blue from Halfords because of the waiting time for delivery but the Vibra-tite sounds a very interesting propersition

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Found some Vibra-tite VC3 in the UK
1ml sachet for £1 also a 30cc bottle £28 both plus p&p,
also
for a 1ml sachet, they also have an ebay presence. £2 plus £4 or £5 p&p.
By the way, Loctite 222 (purple) is low strength and low viscosity, Loctite 242, 243 and 248 (blue) are med strength and (less 248) med viscosity. Specialized recommends Loctite blue for all applications on the Levo.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I assumed everyone knew - there are different strengths for different bolt sizes. For my bikes, and use two different strengths. Eg, 242 is for bolt diameters 6mm - 19mm, and 222 is for smaller. I have generic brand stuff, but same principle. If I was going to pick one for bikes it would be 222.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles