Thinking about a Merida e160 9000

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm hanging my nose over the e160 9000. The spec looks good and the geometry too. The bike has good reviews. :love:
But what do you think, those of you that actually have a Merida e160? Any buyer's remorse? Any dodgy things I should know about? Or is it all golden?:)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just got off the phone with the LBS. Their buyer says that they cannot get any more until December this year and it will be the 2022 version. I don't mind waiting because I like the bike I have, but what will they have done to the bike? Will it be better or just more expensive? Will that lovely red/black paint job be replaced by beige and taupe? :sick:
Will it be the same price but a lower spec in important areas? :(

Does anyone know? :unsure:

Edit: And will share? (Thanks Zimmer)

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have the current 9000. Love this bike. I changed the bars, saddle and put an AXS dropper on it. That's it.

Complaints. The saddle sucks. Horrible awful thing. I REALLY dislike the sTEPS cable running through the headset. My knock block was fitted incorrectly and severed the cable. Thankfully it's a really easy solder job.

Gordon

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks @flash I had read about that issue with a severed cable (must have been you). Can this be checked at the dealer by rotating the bars through their full travel hard up against the knock block at each side?

Thanks to a narrow saddle on my Focus giving me problems, I now know that I need a 150 wide saddle. I used to try the OE saddle until it gave me a problem or not. Now I will measure it and change if required. When I sell the Focus, it will have the OE Focus branded saddle re-fitted and I'll hang on to my comfy WTB perch.

conman

Jun 1, 2019
Keswick
Very happy with mine, great bike. Only complaint is the Shimano E8035 504Wh batteries. I've got two and both have lost capacity much faster than I would have expected.

Definitely put a velcro strap around the battery cover, it'll probably come off.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Thanks @flash I had read about that issue with a severed cable (must have been you). Can this be checked at the dealer by rotating the bars through their full travel hard up against the knock block at each side?

Thanks to a narrow saddle on my Focus giving me problems, I now know that I need a 150 wide saddle. I used to try the OE saddle until it gave me a problem or not. Now I will measure it and change if required. When I sell the Focus, it will have the OE Focus branded saddle re-fitted and I'll hang on to my comfy WTB perch.

What happened on mine was the block was low on the steerer. That allowed the cable to move out of the slot and get trapped outside like a guilitene. Makind sure the block is installed properly solves the problem. Personally I’d prefer it was cabled away from the headset.

Also the light I have never used. I don’t commute and it’s not powerful enough for off road riding. Some will love it though.

The rest of the bike is really really good. Even the tyre choice was what I settled on for my other bikes. I find it really confidence inspiring and a hoot to ride. If mine were nicked I’d replace it with the same bike.

Gordon

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
If this will be a 2022 model, the battery will be at least 625wh and the battery cover design has changed so shouldn't need velcro (if these two factors stay the same as 2021 models vs 2020). I have the 2020 e160 with 504wh and the poorly designed cover. My wife has the 2021 700 with the new battery and better locking cover.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If this will be a 2022 model, the battery will be at least 625wh and the battery cover design has changed so shouldn't need velcro (if these two factors stay the same as 2021 models vs 2020). I have the 2020 e160 with 504wh and the poorly designed cover. My wife has the 2021 700 with the new battery and better locking cover.
Thanks @Tonybro The battery on the 2021 model eOne-sixty is 630Whr. Let's hope that the better locking cover was transferred across.

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
I'm hanging my nose over the e160 9000. The spec looks good and the geometry too. The bike has good reviews. :love:
But what do you think, those of you that actually have a Merida e160? Any buyer's remorse? Any dodgy things I should know about? Or is it all golden?:)
I have a 2021 9000 and absolutely love it. All I've done is put One Up pedals on it and set the suspension. Amazing spec for the price and looks great. Soooo much fun pointing downhill.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a 2021 9000 and absolutely love it. All I've done is put One Up pedals on it and set the suspension. Amazing spec for the price and looks great. Soooo much fun pointing downhill.
Thanks @Matt_Rider I first came across this bike in a review in ebike mtb magazine's forum. It won their ebike of the year (2021)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A favour please.
Anyone with a size large. With the dropper fully extended and the dropper body fully inserted how far is it from the top of the saddle to the top of the pedal when the pedal is at the bottom of its stroke? If your dropper body is not fully inserted, but stuck out by (for example) 20mm, then take 20mm from your measurement.

I am concerned to avoid the problem I had with another bike where that dimension was 10mm too long for me and although it was liveable with it was irritating. That particular problem was solved when the 150mm travel Reverb failed and I asked for a 125mm travel dropper as a replacement.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I'll measure the 150mm I have in my medium for you today. I know it's not a large, but might help.

For 10mm you can change to shorter cranks. 165's are standard.

Gordon

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'll measure the 150mm I have in my medium for you today. I know it's not a large, but might help.

For 10mm you can change to shorter cranks. 165's are standard.

Gordon
Thanks, I should be able to use the geometry table to calculate the difference between the large and medium sizes.

Nyim

Sep 29, 2019
New Zealand
I've got the 700 it really is great bike changed the saddle and grips thats all. It loves steep tech trails actually it excels everywhere.
Best value for money in NZ at the moment by 1k in comparison to other brands, if you can find one that is. Enjoy

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
I've got the 700 it really is great bike changed the saddle and grips thats all. It loves steep tech trails actually it excels everywhere.
Best value for money in NZ at the moment by 1k in comparison to other brands, if you can find one that is. Enjoy
We picked up Meridas a couple of weeks ago. E160 8000 and E160 700. Best value for money here in NZ.
No more available until next March.
Great bikes.?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles