Think i may have found my front end creak/knock....?

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
So have been having some creaking/knocking sounding like its coming from the headset on my "21" Stereo 160.

Re-greased and bearings seem ok, made no difference.

Just taken it right apart and noticed where the plastic compression ring goes onto the steerer tube on the top bearing, its VERY worn!

Its hard to see on the pics but there is a groove in the steerer tube of my Zeb!

The top bearing seems ok, but have a replacement along with cup coming tomorrow. But concerned with the amount of wear on the steerer tube - the problem will continue.

Have spoken to my local Cube store, they are happy to take a look next week, but want it re-assembled first. So will try the new bearing tomorrow first.

But what do we think caused this? Will the new bearing fix it? Im guessing the steerer tube can't be replaced on the Zeb?

tempImageQ9LXED.jpg

IMG_4166.PNG

Cheers

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Hmm, and even more worrying, the carbon that the lower bearing cup presses into looks a bit worn?....

tempImage2kB7Pd.jpg

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I think you have your cause and effect backwards though. That wear on the steerer and the headtube is because the headset was not properly adjusted/tensioned or a component was worn, not the other way round. I wouldn't worry too much about the steerer, but if the bearing moves in the headtube, you may have a big issue.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Actually now i take a better photo with some light, you can see the left side is clear Carbon Fibre, where the right hand almost looks like it been ground down and some form of filler in there??
But its not perfectly smooth, there is a bump in the filler'y stuff.

And the bearing cup only goes half way up, you can just about see the line, so can't have been from the cup slipping.

So it must have left the factory like this? would this be normal?

tempImageHvggT3.jpg

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Having spoken to a few motorsport peeps, they are pretty certain the head tube is de-laminating, causing weakness. Hence the sounds :eek:

I wonder if the lower tube is flexing, this caused the wear on the steerer tube?
Im very certain i didn't have a loose headset/tension.

But if thats the case, thats probably goodbye frame :(

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Having spoken to a few motorsport peeps, they are pretty certain the head tube is de-laminating, causing weakness. Hence the sounds :eek:

I wonder if the lower tube is flexing, this caused the wear on the steerer tube?
Im very certain i didn't have a loose headset/tension.

But if thats the case, thats probably goodbye frame :(

Almost certainly an issue with improper installation or adjustment, unfortunately. The *MOMENT* a headset starts making any type of noise or has movement, it needs to be dealt with, or damage can occur fairly quickly. I check mine before every ride by turning the bars 90 degrees, grabbing the brakes, and pushing the front end back and forth and looking/listening for movement.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Looks more like rubbing than delamination to me. Loose headset for my money.

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
So i took the bike back to the supplying dealer on Tuesday (6 hour round trip!), he had a look at the photo's and thinks it looks like the cup has been slipping causing wear - but not seen it before on these bikes.

Said he will strip it down, take photo's and submit a warranty claim with cube, and push for new frame and fork. But was pretty vague on whether the claim is likely to be approved and potential repair timeframe.

Apparently it takes 7-14 days just to hear back from cube regarding the warranty case!

So what is a reasonable time frame for things to be sorted before starting to push the store? As its very disappointing to not have a bike during peak season!

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I wonder if Cube bother using carbon gripper paste when assembling the bikes initially. My '20 Cube that I bought 2nd hand had a creaking/knocking headset so I bought a new headset and used gripper paste on the cups where they insert into the frame and that solved it. Wondering if I need to strip the headset down on my '23 Cube now and apply gripper paste just so I 100% know it's been done.

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
So cube came back to the dealer, and want the bike shipped to them in Germany! so that they can investigate what has happened themselves!

So another 2-3 weeks for this to happen :(

Thinking of buying a second hand enduro non E-bike for the interim (may even keep it), as missing the mtb'ing!

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
Unfortunately the bearings that come with the cube emtbs are junk, I've just replaced every bearing and also did the headset from new due to crap bearings etc to cane creek and cups, all the pivot bearings were catcus mate rusted from new unbelievable mate.

At least now I know it's done right with quality gear, apartment from that in 5600ks it's been rock solid although she's pretty well upgraded and non stock.

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Well Cube are really taking their time with this, nearing on 8 weeks since i dropped it back to the dealer, and Cube still have not given a verdict!
If i don't have any news next week i think it will be time for some serious words with the dealer/supplyer.
Who to be fair have given me weekly email updates, but no real progress!

I did however buy a Brand new Nukeproof Giga 297 for a bargain price of £1850 a few weeks ago, which im having great fun on. I think i much prefer it to the Cube on the downhills, not so much on the ride back up!!
Did an uplift day at bike park wales on it the other week and it was fantastic!

When i eventually get the cube back, im undecided if i will keep it or sell it.

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
Well Cube are really taking their time with this, nearing on 8 weeks since i dropped it back to the dealer, and Cube still have not given a verdict!
If i don't have any news next week i think it will be time for some serious words with the dealer/supplyer.
Who to be fair have given me weekly email updates, but no real progress!

I did however buy a Brand new Nukeproof Giga 297 for a bargain price of £1850 a few weeks ago, which im having great fun on. I think i much prefer it to the Cube on the downhills, not so much on the ride back up!!
Did an uplift day at bike park wales on it the other week and it was fantastic!

When i eventually get the cube back, im undecided if i will keep it or sell it.
Mate at 8 weeks in , Id be pushing for stick ya bike and refund my money or replace the dam thing, F 8 weeks, it'll take another 8 trust me.

Last edited:

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
So typically i sent the supplier a shitty email Tuesday evening stating my dissatisfaction on how long its taken, and that i would be looking at a refund.

Then First thing Wednesday morning, they have been told by Cube that its been repaired with a new front triangle (i assume this means the main frame), and that its on its way back to the distributer, then back to the shop. (why can't it go straight to the shop to save a journey?)

So looks like good news regarding the warranty repair, and maybe another few weeks it may get back here.

But i think Cube could have been a bit better on updates!

Still un-decided to keep or sell, i guess a nice new unscratched front frame may sell better?

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
So typically i sent the supplier a shitty email Tuesday evening stating my dissatisfaction on how long its taken, and that i would be looking at a refund.

Then First thing Wednesday morning, they have been told by Cube that its been repaired with a new front triangle (i assume this means the main frame), and that its on its way back to the distributer, then back to the shop. (why can't it go straight to the shop to save a journey?)

So looks like good news regarding the warranty repair, and maybe another few weeks it may get back here.

But i think Cube could have been a bit better on updates!

Still un-decided to keep or sell, i guess a nice new unscratched front frame may sell better?

Totally understandable being a bit down about it right now, but take it out for a ride as soon as you get it back, you may very well change your mind about selling it 😁

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
So my Cube turned back up yesterday!

They actually replaced the whole frame including the rear triangle and pivot's, along with a new Dropper post!
The fork it still the old one which is a shame, as it needs a service ;)

So cannot complain with that, as it will mean all new bearings etc. However it did come back with no saddle! - no biggie, it was only a cheepie on it.

Just been for a quick 14 miles ride around the forest, Fuck me after my new found fitness of riding an anologue, it flies up the hills, i actually had to turn it down to "tour +" as it was a bit too much in EMTB! i always used to have it in EMTB!

So i think i will keep it, i guess there is a time and place for both the E-bike and the normal/Analogue?

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire

They actually replaced the whole frame including the rear triangle and pivot's, along with a new Dropper post!

So cannot complain with that, as it will mean all new bearings etc. However it did come back with no saddle! - no biggie, it was only a cheepie on it.

Just been for a quick 14 miles ride around the forest, Fuck me after my new found fitness of riding an anologue, it flies up the hills, i actually had to turn it down to "tour +" as it was a bit too much in EMTB! i always used to have it in EMTB!

So i think i will keep it, i guess there is a time and place for both the E-bike and the normal/Analogue?
Glad it's been resolved, finally!

There's definitely a time and a place for two bikes ...or five 😁

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX

Well that was a result in the end,
But I would replace the headset for a better quality one I did this i used the Superstar Components one with the SKF bearings

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
Do yourself a favour and pull those crap cheap bearings out while there new and replace them with proper Enduro bearings, trust me on that, then see the difference it's a huge difference mate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles