The What Annoyed Me Today Thread - A Place To Rant

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
This morning I came across a group of Emtb fatties in fullface helmets arguing with a group of traditional mountain bikers about trail access. I was riding my Stumpy EVO and I decided not to chime in, not just because the Emtb riders looked like a pack of Whistler bike park Joeys, but because I am growing weary of having the same arguments. I just rode on by and didn’t say a word.
A half hour later the Emtb riders forced their way past me on a narrow technical climb. Two of them I have sold bikes to. No etiquette to speak of and one of them said to other buddy as if I wasn’t there
“We just kicked his ass!”
That flipped a switch in my brain and found my body’s turbo button. I decided to hang off the back of their group until the last section of singletrack opened up to a doubletrack and then give it everything I had till the top.
Strategy paid off and I reeled those last two fuckers in, made the pass and beat them to the top. Their smugness wore off and while I was catching my breath, they decided to drop in on this long downhill section. I gave them a couple of minutes and took the same trail. I figured they would be finished by then and to my astonishment, three of them were dragging brakes and gingerly crawling along. I hung behind them until there was a suitable place to overtake them. They were really mediocre riders. For all of their flashy bits, big talk and expensive carbon helmets, they were absolutely piss poor riders. It was weird to observe from the other side of the argument. I took a dislike to the group of Emtb riders and could see what the traditional acoustic analog clockwork riders seem to always see in us.
Now I have been reflecting all day about how I can change the other sides perception of Emtb riders in general.
But maybe I have become weary of the whole experience and am tired of fighting battles that are pointless to fight. What do I gain by being right?
A wise man, much wiser than me, one said
“I would rather be happy than right any day”
Beating those Emtb riders up the climbs and down the descents didn’t make me feel any happier. The fact that there is this whole “Us vs Them” mentality permeating mountain biking in the first place is becoming disheartening. Reminds me of why after 28 years of mountain biking, nothing is as satisfying for me than riding solo.
That’s what annoyed me today.
Fat guys in fullface

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
This morning I came across a group of Emtb fatties in fullface helmets arguing with a group of traditional mountain bikers about trail access. I was riding my Stumpy EVO and I decided not to chime in, not just because the Emtb riders looked like a pack of Whistler bike park Joeys, but because I am growing weary of having the same arguments. I just rode on by and didn’t say a word.
A half hour later the Emtb riders forced their way past me on a narrow technical climb. Two of them I have sold bikes to. No etiquette to speak of and one of them said to other buddy as if I wasn’t there
“We just kicked his ass!”
That flipped a switch in my brain and found my body’s turbo button. I decided to hang off the back of their group until the last section of singletrack opened up to a doubletrack and then give it everything I had till the top.
Strategy paid off and I reeled those last two fuckers in, made the pass and beat them to the top. Their smugness wore off and while I was catching my breath, they decided to drop in on this long downhill section. I gave them a couple of minutes and took the same trail. I figured they would be finished by then and to my astonishment, three of them were dragging brakes and gingerly crawling along. I hung behind them until there was a suitable place to overtake them. They were really mediocre riders. For all of their flashy bits, big talk and expensive carbon helmets, they were absolutely piss poor riders. It was weird to observe from the other side of the argument. I took a dislike to the group of Emtb riders and could see what the traditional acoustic analog clockwork riders seem to always see in us.
Now I have been reflecting all day about how I can change the other sides perception of Emtb riders in general.
But maybe I have become weary of the whole experience and am tired of fighting battles that are pointless to fight. What do I gain by being right?
A wise man, much wiser than me, one said
“I would rather be happy than right any day”
Beating those Emtb riders up the climbs and down the descents didn’t make me feel any happier. The fact that there is this whole “Us vs Them” mentality permeating mountain biking in the first place is becoming disheartening. Reminds me of why after 28 years of mountain biking, nothing is as satisfying for me than riding solo.
That’s what annoyed me today.
Fat guys in fullface

@Al Boneta a simple "like" is just not enough for this post, i have to cheer bigtimes :)

I started out with my first emtb not so long ago, but was instantly annoyed about that "bike vs ebike" riders thing. I just don't let me suck into arguments, cause i don't have to change those people minds. I rather enjoy my life than talking to dumbasses ^^

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
I have t been a emtbiker for long.

Agree it’s what makes you happy.

Just came home from 3 days away with work. Took my normal bike with me to ride the trails. Why? Cause it still makes me happy.

I don’t understand the us and them bit. I just ride.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They were really mediocre riders. For all of their flashy bits, big talk and expensive carbon helmets, they were absolutely piss poor riders.
This has and always will be a thing in all cycling... You just have to chill out and not care.
You find dicks in all walks of life. I find most dicks out mountainbiking can be educated in manners and etiquate fairly easily with a calm and informative chat froman experienced rider (me). Losing your shit and getting all red in the face about it never helps.

A wise man once said to you.

"there will always be riders with better equipment than you and there will always be better riders than you" (me again... hiya ;) )

The funny thing about that is lots of people will look up to the rider with all the gear. Like you I tend to look up to riders with the most skill. no matter what bike they're on or kit their wearing.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
This has and always will be a thing in all cycling... You just have to chill out and not care.
You find dicks in all walks of life. I find most dicks out mountainbiking can be educated in manners and etiquate fairly easily with a calm and informative chat froman experienced rider (me). Losing your shit and getting all red in the face about it never helps.

A wise man once said to you.

"there will always be riders with better equipment than you and there will always be better riders than you" (me again... hiya ;) )

The funny thing about that is lots of people will look up to the rider with all the gear. Like you I tend to look up to riders with the most skill. no matter what bike they're on or kit their wearing.
Exactly

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Specialized rear hub
They have a nut that preloads the sealed bearings and a lock nut. Problem is after the bearing is run in, it takes a bit of load off the preload nut.
Taking the wheel off and the preload nut and lock nut can become loose. The bearings then chew out, and All it takes is one ride.

Now I will replace the 6903 LBLU bearings and after one ride, check preload and loctite the preload nut and locknut to stop it’s annoying habit.

Shit design, never ever had this problem with other hubs.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Got up early to go for a dawn ride, realised hadn't turned the charger on at the wall. No problem me thinks, i have two batteries for a reason - except i forgot to charge that one too.

Bugger

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Got up early to go for a dawn ride, realised hadn't turned the charger on at the wall. No problem me thinks, i have two batteries for a reason - except i forgot to charge that one too.

Bugger

I feel your pain. The day of my big off I’d forgotten to charge my battery as well and started the day on less than 60%.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ended up getting it to 4 bars and got a 22mile ride in with the last half mile with the motor shut down, so saved the day in the end.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
FFS

9A63D87A-9DE6-431C-8AE1-7EA818417655.jpeg

Sharpy52

Aug 22, 2018
Surrey
Popping into work for a couple of hours on a day off, taking the bike so I could have a quick blast on the way home only to spend 10 minutes driving round and round swinley carpark. Driving out after getting sick of not being able to park and thinking should have gone to Surrey Hills.

Reminder to self, don't go anywhere near swinley during half term.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Over Friday night I somehow managed to sprain my right knee. A trip to the quacks confirmed this so it was time to rest, elevate and ice. Copious amounts of Ibuprofen and Co-Codamol were consumes and things looked to be returning to normal so yesterday I returned to work to be given a job climbing up and down ladders and clambering on and off the fork lift. :rolleyes: An hour later I'm back home with an icepack in place... :mad:
Today isn't looking much better. :(

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Ouch. at least nowadays you dont have to suffer daytime tv. you can always play the back catalogue of emtb forums videos ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah but nothing worse than getting somewhere and then having to spend half an hour trying to find somewhere to park

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
"Couldn't find a parking space" has to be the worst excuse EVAR for not riding your bike!

WTF has happened to mountainbiking? :oops:
To be fair, it only seems to be Southerners who suffer from this affliction... :ROFLMAO:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My blood is from further north than you G Man, my family would call you a southerner!

leverleg

Sep 16, 2018
britain
My blood is from further north than you G Man, my family would call you a southerner!
I'm from jersey and my mum was from scotland don't get much more south / north than that :ROFLMAO:

get well soon @Doomanic sucks to be injured :( my dad fell off his last week and has broken ribs its totally destroyed him :cry: my only hope is that in his late 70's he can recover and get back out on his ebike and be loving it again (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My father in law did his hip when he fell off his e-bike earlier this year, he's in his 70's and is now back on it, doctors said great form of rehab. He couldn't walk for 6 weeks after so shows the old boys are tough buggers!

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Popping into work for a couple of hours on a day off, taking the bike so I could have a quick blast on the way home only to spend 10 minutes driving round and round swinley carpark. Driving out after getting sick of not being able to park and thinking should have gone to Surrey Hills.

Reminder to self, don't go anywhere near swinley during half term.
Know this is a bit late but did you try the leisure centre car park across road.
I'm sure you did but I went up there in half term to take my son swimming and there was loads of room.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles