the obligatory newbie intro

spacegirl76

Jan 7, 2024
North Carolina
Travel Nurse. New rider. New member. Feeling too old to call myself new. (Medium time scuba diver. Long time hiker, kayaker, paddleboarder. Eternally in love with being outdoors.)

Found myself destroying my gravel bike by riding it in places that it was not equipped to handle; somehow ended up with an eMTB (Specialized Turbo Levo). Last year I did some mild trail rides in Miami. This year I am in North Carolina...which apparently is a mountain biking mecca. That said, they are a little meh about the eMTB. Now looking for recommendations of places to ride that are peddle assist friendly. And hoping to glean some eMTB knowledge from people that have been at this for more than my 11 months.

Cheers...
-c.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
If the locals are only a "little meh" about eMTb you are doing ok :)
Kayaking and cycling are naturals together. eMTB is gaining more and more acceptance but there are pockets of discrimination. Different administrative authorities can be more or less enlightened in the same area.
Great way to get away from cars and stress and gentle on the joints etc.
I am sure you will find some folks to ride with. Enjoy.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
they are a little meh about the eMTB.
You will learn to smile beyond the heckling. You can always say "i'll see you in 10 years" lol which is when i predict emtbs will be the majority for bikes in north america.

I think the things I've heard from bikers so far is.

1. Thats not a real bike.
2. Thats cheating.
3. Your lazy.
4. Look how young you are! your lazy!
5. Do you have a tow rope? (I always respond 'no sir' or 'no maam' with a smile)
6. Wow that bike must be heavy!
7. Thats not mountain biking!

I've been mountain biking for 25 years and I got into ebiking this year. So these people are really making me think if I'm 'still a mountain biker' 🙄🤣

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Welcome aboard.

Disregard the haters they are just old men yelling at clouds.

I can't help with us locations. But if you ever find yourself in nz I can point you to some epic locations.

Drew502

Feb 14, 2023
Hood River
Travel Nurse. New rider. New member. Feeling too old to call myself new. (Medium time scuba diver. Long time hiker, kayaker, paddleboarder. Eternally in love with being outdoors.)

Found myself destroying my gravel bike by riding it in places that it was not equipped to handle; somehow ended up with an eMTB (Specialized Turbo Levo). Last year I did some mild trail rides in Miami. This year I am in North Carolina...which apparently is a mountain biking mecca. That said, they are a little meh about the eMTB. Now looking for recommendations of places to ride that are peddle assist friendly. And hoping to glean some eMTB knowledge from people that have been at this for more than my 11 months.

Cheers...
-c.

Hi, welcome! I have ridden a fair amount around Brevard, NC; where are you located in NC?

Last edited:

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
This year I am in North Carolina...which apparently is a mountain biking mecca.
We have a lot of great trails in the Eastern Blue Ridge and Piedmont. Brevard is a zoo these days, and Dupont explicitly says no ebikes. Kanuga bike park near Hendersonville is ebike fun but is pay to play, a membership can be more cost effective. Too many Piedmont trails to list. Warrior Creek and adjacent is fun. I am fortunate to have 35 miles of singletrack in my city.

I have been e-riding the Grandfather district the last five years, it's awesome. The rangers are relatively cool and you hardly see anyone unlike the Brevard area. Real backcountry riding, easy to get lost without a trail ap.

Key is not giving others a reason to complain about the ebike. That said the only rider allowed to give you a hard time about ebiking is the one riding a fixed-gear.

Hotrod

Nov 30, 2023
So Cal
Welcome!

I live in Southern CA and experience the same issues. I just got my first EMTB and have experienced similar comments from the analog riders. The truth is I still ride my analog bike and used to be one of those riders who was irritated by young people riding EMTB's. I never said anything though unless they were reckless. I guess I was jealous of the fact they didn't put their time in climbing like us "older riders". So I get the reason for the comments. But when I approach an analog rider I sometimes turn my motor off when passing them, and I pass in a polite and slow manner always saying good morning or afternoon. Regardless some people still feel the need to say something and I just respond with enjoy your ride! But the bigger issue here is the lack of places to ride the EMTB's legally. Some places the Rangers are aggressive on ticketing and other places not as much, but you have to be careful where you ride for sure. I hope they lighten up soon as more and more people are switching to EMTB's. Enjoy your bike you got a good one!

spacegirl76

Jan 7, 2024
North Carolina
Hi, welcome! I have ridden a fair amount around Brevard, NC; where are you located in NC?
I'm working in Greensboro. :oops: But find myself in the western parts of the state pretty frequently. I only work 3 days a week...so that helps. I recently rode a few trails at Dupont (against the rules, i know). If you have suggestions for single track where I won't get the look...it would be amazing. :)

spacegirl76

Jan 7, 2024
North Carolina
If the locals are only a "little meh" about eMTb you are doing ok :)
Kayaking and cycling are naturals together. eMTB is gaining more and more acceptance but there are pockets of discrimination. Different administrative authorities can be more or less enlightened in the same area.
Great way to get away from cars and stress and gentle on the joints etc.
I am sure you will find some folks to ride with. Enjoy.
"a little meh" was being mild. :ROFLMAO: they are a lot meh. but...haters are going to hate.

spacegirl76

Jan 7, 2024
North Carolina
Welcome!

I live in Southern CA and experience the same issues. I just got my first EMTB and have experienced similar comments from the analog riders. The truth is I still ride my analog bike and used to be one of those riders who was irritated by young people riding EMTB's. I never said anything though unless they were reckless. I guess I was jealous of the fact they didn't put their time in climbing like us "older riders". So I get the reason for the comments. But when I approach an analog rider I sometimes turn my motor off when passing them, and I pass in a polite and slow manner always saying good morning or afternoon. Regardless some people still feel the need to say something and I just respond with enjoy your ride! But the bigger issue here is the lack of places to ride the EMTB's legally. Some places the Rangers are aggressive on ticketing and other places not as much, but you have to be careful where you ride for sure. I hope they lighten up soon as more and more people are switching to EMTB's. Enjoy your bike you got a good one!
I'm the same, really. I typically only have the peddle assist at a 1 anyway but find myself super cognizant of it when around other riders. Always yield to the full-on peddlers (because respect! and that's just good common sense). And I'm not exactly bombing anything. I love a little bit of technical riding with a lot of flowy trail.

yes...I prefer to do it "legally". Then also try to limit what I'm traveling with...so 1 bike, and ebike it was.

spacegirl76

Jan 7, 2024
North Carolina
We have a lot of great trails in the Eastern Blue Ridge and Piedmont. Brevard is a zoo these days, and Dupont explicitly says no ebikes. Kanuga bike park near Hendersonville is ebike fun but is pay to play, a membership can be more cost effective. Too many Piedmont trails to list. Warrior Creek and adjacent is fun. I am fortunate to have 35 miles of singletrack in my city.

I have been e-riding the Grandfather district the last five years, it's awesome. The rangers are relatively cool and you hardly see anyone unlike the Brevard area. Real backcountry riding, easy to get lost without a trail ap.

Key is not giving others a reason to complain about the ebike. That said the only rider allowed to give you a hard time about ebiking is the one riding a fixed-gear.
35 miles of singletrack is super lucky. :) very nice.

I rode at Dupont on a Wednesday afternoon, so it was pretty vacant. The trails were soooooo nice...like my favorite type...soooo flowy!!!! I saw Kanuga, I would probably go, but don't want to pay to ride all of the time. Brevard is super crazy at times. I had someone in Pisgah comment on my bike while it was sitting innocently in the rack. :oops:

Is there any place in Grandfather district that you would specifically recommend?

spacegirl76

Jan 7, 2024
North Carolina

35 miles of singletrack is super lucky. :) very nice.

I rode at Dupont on a Wednesday afternoon, so it was pretty vacant. The trails were soooooo nice...like my favorite type...soooo flowy!!!! I saw Kanuga, I would probably go, but don't want to pay to ride all of the time. Brevard is super crazy at times. I had someone in Pisgah comment on my bike while it was sitting innocently in the rack. :oops:

Is there any place in Grandfather district that you would specifically recommend?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles