The brain melter

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
So.... I have a few locations i ride at which are pretty much all single track up and down. They are really technical climbs and descents.
At those locations I like charging as hard as I can for as long as I can. The ups the downs the flats are flat out full time full focus all the time. There is zero rest, its like constant non stop DH for 3+ hours. Just keep going until I reach information over load and melt my brain.

Who else gets out there and slams brain melter rides on the E-bike?

Regale me with your brain melting story.

Or am I just a weirdo that likes melting my brain?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
So.... I have a few locations i ride at which are pretty much all single track up and down. They are really technical climbs and descents.
At those locations I like charging as hard as I can for as long as I can. The ups the downs the flats are flat out full time full focus all the time. There is zero rest, its like constant non stop DH for 3+ hours. Just keep going until I reach information over load and melt my brain.

I'll try to avoid whatever you're on. 😀

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Adrenaline junky I guess. Other than that I'm clean AF.

No alcohol, no refined sugar, no caffeine, no smoking, no drugs.....
whoosh.gif

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Stress reliever, or do you have ADD? Serious question. I ask because it is known that activities like this help those with ADD. I don't ride like this now, but I did moreso when I was younger, and really enjoyed it on my moto. Age gets the best of us though. My oldest always liked the moto, he was ADD. Gives the brain something to focus on.

My brain melting has been relegsted to short bursts now. Haha more a softening than a melting.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Stress reliever, or do you have ADD? Serious question. I ask because it is known that activities like this help those with ADD. I don't ride like this now, but I did moreso when I was younger, and really enjoyed it on my moto. Age gets the best of us though. My oldest always liked the moto, he was ADD. Gives the brain something to focus on.

My brain melting has been relegsted to short bursts now. Haha more a softening than a melting.
Well not that I'm aware of. But I am a reasonably intense individual. I don't half arse things, I go all in. So maybe I am along the spectrum.

In truth I love being in the zone and pushing. That's where I feel best, most relaxed. To slow and leisurely and i'm getting bored.

PS I'm not that young anymore at 52.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Sounds awful 😂

I get the brain melting thing. I ride steep tech because I can’t think about anything else while I’m doing it.
Obviously I replace those vices with the brain melt..... hehe.

Seriously tho, you only think you need those vices. Once over the withdrawals and replaced with a healthy alternative you don't miss them. ... sort of.

Ps I'm not giving up bacon or a juicy steak......

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Adrenaline junky I guess. Other than that I'm clean AF.

No alcohol, no refined sugar, no caffeine, no smoking, no drugs.....
Good man. Save your vitality for the bike. All the things you have cut out are fun at the time but hurt your long term biking potential. As nice as cake is, DH is more fun!
I'm with you, 2x750Wh, boost and do DH until batteries are dead.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Good man. Save your vitality for the bike. All the things you have cut out are fun at the time but hurt your long term biking potential. As nice as cake is, DH is more fun!
I'm with you, 2x750Wh, boost and do DH until batteries are dead.
Nice, I need another 750hw battery so I can dona double battery burn!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
No shame bro. Better way to put it: "I have a need for speed!" :D A good exhilarating ride on Sunday makes my entire week.
Good to here. I was starting to think i'm a weirdo... Posted the same question up on mtbr and pretty much got a whole lot of no. Which i was surprised about. I thought it would be pretty standard for dudes on E's to be ripping until they melt their brains. I guess not.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I can’t go fast on the downhill trails and most people I know can clean-my-clock. It’s embarrassing sometimes but I don’t care 🤷

I enjoy the uphill trails or fire roads. When I want a personal best or a top 10 time (climbing), I train for a few weeks before. I try to peak out at 190bpm and maintain 160bpm. My recovery is good. Huff and puff for a few minutes.

There’s a few guys, like myself, who want to reach the summit on our eMTB’s as fast as they can. Passing one of these guys on a 15-18% grade is challenging. Fluids start flying out of your face, slow for that big friggen rock in your lane…don’t knock him in that tree. 😱

We usually have a good laugh after we reach the top …until they find out how old I am.😁

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I can’t go fast on the downhill trails and most people I know can clean-my-clock. It’s embarrassing sometimes but I don’t care 🤷

I enjoy the uphill trails or fire roads. When I want a personal best or a top 10 time (climbing), I train for a few weeks before. I try to peak out at 190bpm and maintain 160bpm. My recovery is good. Huff and puff for a few minutes.

There’s a few guys, like myself, who want to reach the summit on our eMTB’s as fast as they can. Passing one of these guys on a 15-18% grade is challenging. Fluids start flying out of your face, slow for that big friggen rock in your lane…don’t knock him in that tree. 😱

We usually have a good laugh after we reach the top …until they find out how old I am.😁
Clean you clock... the mind boggles.

Yeah i love a good technical uphill. I'm surprised more technical hillclimb races have popped up for Ebikes.

The E version of this but more steep tech climb that is possible to get up if you have the technique.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Went out last night with my 2 brain melter mates and did a night ride using lights. 2 hours non stop nightime mayhem.
Love it. bloody hell. Everything comes at you even faster.... good times.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Went out last night with my 2 brain melter mates and did a night ride using lights. 2 hours non stop nightime mayhem.
Love it. bloody hell. Everything comes at you even faster.... good times.
On my first night ride I followed a new riding buddy, using his bar light. He had a helmet and a bar light. He detoured through the grounds of a stately home. We were going down one of the paths when we approached what looked like the columns at the start of a flight of steps. My bar light revealed the columns, but just a black hole between them (no helmet light). Instead of riding down the centre of the gap, my mate shifted over a foot or so. Thank God I followed him (intuition, luck, who knows) but I found myself looking into an empty hole where all the steps had been removed for repairs. What was directly in front of me was a plank. If I hadn't followed him exactly, I am certain that I would be a cripple by now, or at the very least not nearly so good looking! I didn't half give him a bollocking, to no avail.

He had survived a very serious road accident a few years before and I am sure that his head injuries removed his sense of danger, for himself and others. Eventually I had to stop riding with him because of this. My last words to him were on the lines of "If you continue like this you are going to kill yourself, or worse!"

A couple of years later I bumped into him at a trail centre. He was in a wheelchair being pushed around the cafe by a nurse. He had had an accident on a DH course and broken his back (the one part of his body that his previous accident had not broken). What a waste! :eek::(

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My first night ride kinda creeped me out. I used a bar and helmet LED light and started at the main entrance. As I climbed the fire road I could see some other riders (4-5) on a trail. They were having a good time as I watched their lights strobe through the trees. As I climbed higher things started to appear in the shadows I was creating. It kinda takes you back…especially when you ride alone. Anyways , down my first familiar trail.

Nothing looked familiar at all …slow down …was I on the right trail? I was but everything looked different and new.

After several different night ride events I decided to climb much higher. It had lightly snowed early that day so I wore some extra layers of clothing. This will be an interesting night ride.

I eventually climbed to a higher elevation on an old trail/creek and pushed through a very thin layer of snow. Then something in the distance caught my attention. My lights weren’t strong enough and I couldn’t identify this thing. I stopped …but the object kept slowly approaching me. Suddenly it reached the edge of my lights …WTF!

A guy, in nothing but blue shorts, no shirt, no shoes was walking towards me. I quickly asked if he was ok. He never said a word and walked past me.

I gathered my thoughts and decided to turn around to follow him. Something had to be wrong here. By the time I got turned around and started heading back down …he was gone. He likely stepped off the trail and disappeared in the trees.

Well that was the end of that ride. When I got home I called the police and asked if there was a “missing person “ report. I told them story and started questioning myself. There’s some X-Files sh*t right there.

So… night rides can be interesting 🤷‍♂️.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
On my first night ride I followed a new riding buddy, using his bar light. He had a helmet and a bar light. He detoured through the grounds of a stately home. We were going down one of the paths when we approached what looked like the columns at the start of a flight of steps. My bar light revealed the columns, but just a black hole between them (no helmet light). Instead of riding down the centre of the gap, my mate shifted over a foot or so. Thank God I followed him (intuition, luck, who knows) but I found myself looking into an empty hole where all the steps had been removed for repairs. What was directly in front of me was a plank. If I hadn't followed him exactly, I am certain that I would be a cripple by now, or at the very least not nearly so good looking! I didn't half give him a bollocking, to no avail.

He had survived a very serious road accident a few years before and I am sure that his head injuries removed his sense of danger, for himself and others. Eventually I had to stop riding with him because of this. My last words to him were on the lines of "If you continue like this you are going to kill yourself, or worse!"

A couple of years later I bumped into him at a trail centre. He was in a wheelchair being pushed around the cafe by a nurse. He had had an accident on a DH course and broken his back (the one part of his body that his previous accident had not broken). What a waste! :eek::(
That is a grim story, nobody deserves to be in a wheelchair.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
That's probably what's wrong especially not drinking and smoking. You don't actually live any longer it just feels like forevermore 😁 😆
Watching mates die of lung cancer or becoming over weight growing a beer gut with health problems and seeing their riding slide back and diminish, hell one guy even took up golf, I think i made the right choice.

I'm the lone dad that can ride with my boy and his crew of mates up and down, and that's awesome as fuck!

The bad news is one by one my core crew are slowly dropping off. We joke that we need to start putting fliers in letter boxes to try and attract some fresh blood into the crew......

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Watching mates die of lung cancer or becoming over weight growing a beer gut with health problems and seeing their riding slide back and diminish, hell one guy even took up golf, I think i made the right choice.

I'm the lone dad that can ride with my boy and his crew of mates up and down, and that's awesome as fuck!

The bad news is one by one my core crew are slowly dropping off. We joke that we need to start putting fliers in letter boxes to try and attract some fresh blood into the crew......
That was a bit of Scottish humour, not to be taken too seriously mate. Never thought you would bite like that . Apologies if offended

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland

Nope..I don't ride like you and that has no appeal at all ..
The group I ride with are all of a certain age (the youngest is 58) and while we like technical trails & a bit of downhill speed ..we tend to spin it out over the course of the day on 30mile+ rides where a bit of craic & piss taking is as much part of the day as the riding itself ... at a pace which allows the chance to take in the scenery ..
Nowt wrong at all with the way you ride ..if that's how you get your kicks ..but I definitely fall into the " life's a journey not a race " category 😁
P.s ..I also enjoy a pint , coffee & have a very sweet tooth but as an older Dad ( 45 when he was born) gave up smoking 21 years ago on the day my son was christened which health wise was probably the best decision I've ever made ..that really is a mugs game .

jetskier973

Nov 9, 2023
Gardner, KS.
I like to go as fast as I can everywhere, and sprint as much as possible.
I do it to push myself, focus on breathing through my nose and staying relaxed.
I love going fast and ripping through the trees and the chunk.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles