The bicycle chain has finally been re-invented

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Roller-free chains are called bush chains and rollers are added for better efficiency, higher operating speed, and reduced noise. Overall, they are "better" despite the extra cost and weight.

The only thing the rollers roll on is the chain pin.They slide on everything else, or just contact it. Roller wear has nothing to do with the chain lengthening as it wears. It is the pin wearing inside the outer chain plates that contributes to chain lengthening. That will remain the case with this chain.

What appears to be new with this chain is that the roller shape has been formed out of the side plates. This will allow it to run on tooth forms designed for roller chain. A bush chain would do that, but this new chain may be lighter and cheaper than a bush chain.

This roller-free roller chain may be lighter and it may be cheaper, but whether it will be overall "better" in terms of life (itself and the gears it meshes with), efficiency, noise and overall cost of the rest of the drive-train is yet to be proved. It may have been designed for the budget end of the market only, but if it truly is an innovation, then it is to be welcomed. But the market will decide.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Only one part on the G-Tech ebike belt and no lube needed either ?

93B478F9-765B-4DE6-8EF0-9C3E1AD4812A.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have a Gates drive bike in my quiver, its a great bit of kit, and the silence when riding the bike is really noticeable, however you do get a fair bit of powerloss vs a chain, its noticeably slower to react to inputs. Its great on the bike its on, as its zero maintenance and I use it for local rides to the park etc with the kids.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Only one part on the G-Tech ebike belt and no lube needed either ?

View attachment 33936
I wonder how long that nice white frame will stay that colour once the belt starts to throw off dust as it wears. The static electricity generated by the belt rubbing will cause the dust to stick everywhere. I have never had a toothed-belt drive, but I'm already wondering if you can obtain special anti-static brushes to remove the dust. :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I wonder how long that nice white frame will stay that colour once the belt starts to throw off dust as it wears. The static electricity generated by the belt rubbing will cause the dust to stick everywhere. I have never had a toothed-belt drive, but I'm already wondering if you can obtain special anti-static brushes to remove the dust. :)

Steve, the dust will have no effect whatsoever since GTECH also make this handy device for you to take on your ride....

6D97E9F9-97A5-4665-8CC2-5A94C6CE74D1.jpeg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Gary is very knowledgeable and gets straight to the point and basically says it how it is. He loves bikes, all sorts of bikes. I’ve learned a lot from his wisdom.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
If you don’t like to hear brutal honesty then stay away from Gary. You’ll go through too many tissues and there’s a shortage worldwide atm.
If you enjoy a wealth of knowledge/experience and don’t mind a good chuckle then introduce yourself.
He’s a friendly guy!

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Actually I'm pretty impressed with it when you look at the comarison on the scales. The old chain weighed 24.7kgs & the new one 24.2kgs Thats half a kilo - like a block of butter worth of weight or two glasses of beer or 1 1/2 pies. God the food you could eat before riding to compensate for the weight is fantastic

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I have a Gates drive bike in my quiver, its a great bit of kit, and the silence when riding the bike is really noticeable, however you do get a fair bit of powerloss vs a chain, its noticeably slower to react to inputs. Its great on the bike its on, as its zero maintenance and I use it for local rides to the park etc with the kids.
Have had belt drive on a SingleSpeed and found it to kill me a lot faster. Added 20 minutes to my 45km loop and hurt me a lot more than the chain.

As far as this chain goes .... LMAO.
Weight weenies that replace components very regularly probably would not notice, but the reality of engineering science is that the roller on a chain has a purpose. That purpose is to ROLL when the chain goes around things - those things are sprockets and jockey wheels. The drag of that chain over componentry is only going to cause premature wear IMHO.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles