Has the 2nd hand market bubble finally burst ?

smokin joe's

Jun 21, 2021
north yorks
Just wondering on all’s thoughts really and it’s raining outside.

been watching the market and in the last month there’s over 150 more e bikes for sale on pink bike than there was in July and some crazy pricing still but nothing shifting. I had to take a loss on my SL as there was so many for sale that just weren’t selling. So has the covid bubble finally burst ? Shops have lots of stock of 2019/2020 models. Hoping this can start to drive the prices down from new over the next 12 months and make it accessible for many people who just can’t drop 5-6k on a poor spec e bike of there choice.

how much would you spend 2nd hand with limited time left on warranty ?
ive seen 2019 levo experts over £6500, I didn’t even pay that new!
manufacturers Should offer a trade in policy, especially on older models and help recycle the older bikes.
my bike shop does so long as you buy it from them, have done for ages (bike scene Guisborough )

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Lots of people in the USA say never ever buy a year old low mileage super car because they were raced at super high speeds and basically are worn out. I suspect pretty hard use when it's on its 5 or 6th motor. Mild to moderate shredding vs only turbo modes and super high speed descents are a whole other story. There are all sorts of abused bikes that show up on pink bike and other places and I suspect they've been launched off of multiple cliffs and I agree I wouldn't buy one. There's no way I did this to my bike because I'm an old fart who doesn't ride that fast I ride a lot but I don't ride that fast and I don't get my wheels off the ground so I'm just a sissy but my bikes rarely Fall apart. Still do I mean eventually if you put enough miles on a TIG welded frame you're going to have problems after a certain amount of rattling and vibration happens same thing happens to carbon frames under certain circumstances so I guess if the computer was able to be red and you could see the amount of time that it's in different modes and the speeds that were achieved that would be a whole different way of assessing whether you want to be involved in a used ebike.

LoamLab

Jun 10, 2021
Squamish
I have a friend who just sold their ebike for $300 less than they paid for it new, after using it for 2 months. Sizing was off.
I have another friend who ordered 2 ebikes in May and is still waiting for them. I think the bubble will stay inflated for a while yet.

Slightly off topic, but pretty relevant, another friend bought a Ford Raptor, drove it 35,000km and the dealer called and asked to buy it back from him for $5K MORE than he paid for it new, which he took.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
2 month old bike that wasn't used for 2 months of racing is certainly pretty damn spanking near new so that's a bit different than buying someone's 2-year-old or 3-year-old ebike that has greater than 1,500 mi on it. If the person put $1500 mild miles on it that's a bit different than buying something from a guy who lives adjacent to a world-class downhill destination.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
I would say not ive just sold my diamond back ranger full sus bike e8000 motor from 2018 with 2400 miles for £1400 really happy with that price

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Interesting response for sure. Could be a buyers market soon, few shops say that sales are slowing with many people back to reality now after being back to work and covid etc. Following many sites and more and more webs coming up for sale, shop floors are filling up well as well.
bike industry wont mind as they just make less of a model and charge more I wreakon over the next couple years.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles