The best way to mount an carbon frame bike onto a repair stand?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
There are a number of ways to mount an e-bike on a stand, but when it comes to carbon frames, i'm a bit confused.

I thought carbon frames were as strong as alloy or steel, and have seen videos on Youtube of people trying to smash them up.

But it appears I'm wrong, and without hijack other threads, I thought I'd try and get a definitive answer as to the best way to mount an carbon frame bike onto a repair stand.
IMG_6172.JPG
IMG_6251.JPG

I've used both the extended seat-post and the frame itself, my current method, but I'm now worried it could damage the frame. I, like others have seen reputable dealers like Berkshire Cycles use the seat-post, which holds at an angle. I worry that it I twist it so the bike is level(ish) the stress on the frame could cause damage.

I've been hanging the bike from the frame, above the shock, and very lightly using the clamp to hold it in place.

Here's a couple of pics to show what I mean; the first taken on the day the bike was delivered, and the second how I mount it now.

Is there a definitive correct way to mount a carbon bike? I don't want to cause any damage the frame, be it the seat tube or the top tube.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Please watch this and you will see, why it is perfectly ok to clamp the dropper post.
Twisting load on the dropper post and carbon seat tube is negligible, even in level position, compared to the load/force when our 70, 80 kg+fat ass sits on it. :eek:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
See the thread "Washing the bike is it worth it?" the last page I think, for the use of a Top Tube Adaptor. Saves trying to hold your bike in one hand while trying to clamp it.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Please watch this and then and you will see, why it is perfectly ok to clamp the dropper post.
Twisting load on the dropper post and carbon seat tube is negligible, even in level position, compared to the load/force when our 70, 80 kg+fat ass sits on it. :eek:

Great, thanks :)

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
See the thread "Washing the bike is it worth it?" the last page I think, for the use of a Top Tube Adaptor. Saves trying to hold your bike in one hand while trying to clamp it.

Thanks KennyB, Its that thread thats got me thinking, looking into top tube adapters at the moment and need to use the stand until I get one.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I think the 50kg rated Thule is the 482 model at £50. Halfords (yeah I know, pretend you want car stuff (actually it is) if anyone sees you), and Buzzrack (from Roofbox do15kg ones for £20 and £15. Reckon they'd be fine as the rating is for hanging a bike from the back of a car, bouncing around.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I think the 50kg rated Thule is the 482 model at £50. Halfords (yeah I know, pretend you want car stuff (actually it is) if anyone sees you), and Buzzrack (from Roofbox do15kg ones for £20 and £15. Reckon they'd be fine as the rating is for hanging a bike from the back of a car, bouncing around.
Use a Bike Beam like this one...

View attachment 24702

Attaches to the Tope tube and seat post.

Thanks guys, looks like a bike beam is the answer to my transport and maintenance issues :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles