That didn’t take long

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I really like this bike and I really wish I could sell it. The YT Decoy would be perfection with a better motor, but the E8000 has let another rider down. View attachment 19134

That is a sick looking bike though!:) sorry about engine.. if this forum has done anything it's enlightened me to all these shimano (and others) issues happening.

Hope the new bosch turns out to be more reliable.

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
So did it just power down completely and is dead, or what’s the story? Mine has cut out on me a few times unexpectedly requiring me to turn it back on, it’s always instantly turned back on without that problem. Figured there’s just a loose wire/connector somewhere and can’t be too hard to get fixed. Nothing I can’t live with until riding season is over which won’t be too far away and then send it in for warranty if need be.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Mine has cut out on me a few times unexpectedly requiring me to turn it back on
check your battery cradle is tight and adjusted properly. They do come loose/move. and can cause exactly the power cut out you describe.
Also remove the connector bay cover and check all connectors are clean and dry. it's not very well sealed. and on certain bike frame designs actually has a completely open portion towards the top/back that allows dirt/water to get in from behind. I eventually motofoamed around the top of my motor and siliconed/taped the case cover and it solved the water/dirt ingress issues I had frequently with my first motor. i do this from new now on all my replacement motors.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
No Emtb motor is reliable. some are less unreliable than others.

AFAIK jury is still out on gen 4 Bosch as they are just now showing up. Last Bosch although a dinosaur seems like it was somewhat reliable.. just from what I’ve read.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Just for fun since I was working on a 2016 Levo, I decided to weigh the YT against the Levo. The YT weighed 50lbs 14oz, the Levo weighed 51lbs even. So the YT weighed an ounce less.
Solved the motor issue backtracking the connections and tightening up the battery. Great bike, okay motor.

Last edited:

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
You solved it by tightning up the battery? This tread is full of mystery sentences...

We own 2 Decoys, haven't had any problems other than W043 error 2 times or so.

mikecol

Mar 16, 2019
Treasure Island, FL USA
So I guess the motor was fine after all....

I have had the W043 (or W643) error a couple of times in about 650 miles on my Pro Race. Updated the firmware and haven't seen it again. Both times it was from back pedelling maybe 1/2 crank after a long coast (i.e. waiting for road to clear). I know, quit that....

The 8000 motor has been excellent for me in the last few months. Very pleased with my Decoy.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
No issues here after 1,000 miles of bike parks, trails centres, jumps and local riding... I’m back on my MTB these days, only using the eBike for shuttle rides.

I don’t think it’s a Shimano motor thing in particular, I know plenty of people who’ve been let down by a variety of manufacturers.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
High mileage aint really the issue.
I think 700ish miles is the longest any Shimano motor has lasted me before bearing play is present.
but I agree. There probably isn't an Emtb motor out the lot of them durable enough.

waldo

Jul 9, 2019
sweden
my 2019 specialized kenevo motor broke in june.. and the dropper... bike is stil at the shop. the motor got changed about 2 weeks ago.. and now they are waiting for a dropper:sleep: im so satisfied...

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Mine came with the 25km/h max assist. It should be 32km/h here in NA. Theyve answered emails and said i can find a shop with the shimano adapter for the etube project and then shimano can reset it remotely. My shop has it so thats good. Theyve talked to shimano and set that up when the shimano tech is back from vacation. Now the yt guy wants to discuss it by phone instead of email. Kind of strange customer service. Ive been patient and have done all the ground work along with the local shop. I dont think its a big cost to reset it but im thinking they should cover that. Thoughts?

Bruce_in_TO

Feb 8, 2019
Toronto
hopefully in finest chinese Ali express grade carbon ;)

I actually have a mate with a CNC machine who I'm fairly sure would make me a BB shell I could bolt on.
I already have 7 perfectly good other non-bikes though. (I recently gave a few away)

Manufacturing quality in China generally exceeds that of the United States.

In particular when it comes to carbon fiber - I would choose China or Taiwan 100% of the time.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think you missed the "AliExpress" part! Good luck with Chinese manufacturing optimism riding a lot of the chinese carbon bicycle component tat sold on there

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
YT are direct sales.
Al couldn't really sell them if he wanted to.
Well.. I suppose he could buy a bunch and mark up the price in his shop in the hope of rich Emtb punters who've never heard of the internet stopping by

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Motor still under warranty so no real issue. All the motor manufacturers seem to have issues but Shimano less than some of the others like Brose. 10 mins to put a new motor in.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
YT are direct sales.
Al couldn't really sell them if he wanted to.
Well.. I suppose he could buy a bunch and mark up the price in his shop in the hope of rich Emtb punters who've never heard of the internet stopping by

Im sure there would be a market for that if it was allowed. Love the look of the decoy, wouldnt buy a mailorder ebike due to potential issues. Now if I could buy one locally & have it supported ..

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
All the motor manufacturers seem to have issues but Shimano less than some of the others like Brose.
What are you basing this statement on? I’ve sold 50 Shimano bikes and have had issues with more than half of them. I have sold well over 300 bikes with Brose motors and replaced 15 of them. I’ve only replaced one Bosch motor out of 100.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
What are you basing this statement on? I’ve sold 50 Shimano bikes and have had issues with more than half of them. I have sold well over 300 bikes with Brose motors and replaced 15 of them. I’ve only replaced one Bosch motor out of 100.

Wow, that's interesting stats Al. Not quite correlating to the views one gets from this forum. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

So issue rate according to Al's irrefutable facts for his sample size:

Shimoano (50 sold) = 50%
Brosekn (300 sold) = 5%
BosSch (100 sold) = 1%

Makes me feel a bit calmer about having a brose equipped bike on order... Lately from this forum I've been getting the feeling everyone and their grandmothers are having issues with their Brose motors and many several times in a row with the replacement motors as well...

Last edited:

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Hmmm I went with steps for my first emtb because I was told the complete opposite to you’re finding’s?I take it you’re a retailer?think I might cancel order and go with a Bosch one?

db840

Sep 28, 2019
Canada
You guys got me worried. After placing my Decoy Pro Race order in April 2019 I just got my bike two days ago. Unfortunately it will stay in the shipping box till April 2020 because the riding season is over for me here and the weather is already bad. Do you suggest I build the bike and test it-just in case there's issues? What would should I look for?

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
You guys got me worried. After placing my Decoy Pro Race order in April 2019 I just got my bike two days ago. Unfortunately it will stay in the shipping box till April 2020 because the riding season is over for me here and the weather is already bad. Do you suggest I build the bike and test it-just in case there's issues? What would should I look for?

Mate, if you are seriously saying you are able to leave the bike unopened in the box for another 1/2 year, you have much more self restraint than me, that's for sure.

If it was me, that bike would have been out of the box like a bat out of hell...

Not that I really have any concrete information to base this of, but I would for sure assemble it and at least charge the battery, turn it on, try to get a small ride in and check that everything worked fine, no strange noises, that it actually do turn on etc... Unpacking in April next year just to discover something off, forcing a return of your bike at that time would majorly suck"#%alls...

Just saying...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles