Other Tero X5 from a Powerfly 5

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
Currently I ride a Trek Powerfly 5. And largely its been a good bike. Plenty of power from the CX motor. And fairly decent range from the 625wh battery. But new bike syndrome kicked in and slowly at first I started looking around. And as I had been spoiled by the ride on some rental FSR bikes on holiday in Italy. I knew I wanted full suspension. But I didnt want it to feel wasted. Or just too much bike for doing my more regular commute.

Well I considered long & hard and as most of my riding is commuting with a little bit of fun here and there I decided the bike for me was a Specialized Tero X 5.0. As you guys know it has some excellent MTB components with full suspension. But the fenders and lights will come in really useful. And even though im going from the Bosch 85Nm motor to the 70Nm motor in the Tero. I think it will be fine. Especially as the Tern HSD I had before that had the 50Nm ALP motor. And it was mostly ok. So 70Nm should feel a lot better than that. And the HSD was a heavy beast too.

The only thing I feel is a possible disadvantage. And im not even sure if it will be. Is the absence of a lockout feature on the rear shock like the Tero X 6.0. Maybe it can be changed for the Rockshox deluxe on the 6.0. But there was a hell of a price difference between the 5.0 and the 6.0. And the 5.0 was being offered at a really sweet price. So I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to new bike day.

Last edited:

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Congrats!

I’m someone who uses remote lockouts for XC bikes. But I never bother to (manually) lock out the rear suspension on my Trek Fuel EXe. I don’t really see a point on an e-MTB…

So if that’s the only difference you’re wondering about, I don’t think you’ll miss it.

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
Congrats!

I’m someone who uses remote lockouts for XC bikes. But I never bother to (manually) lock out the rear suspension on my Trek Fuel EXe. I don’t really see a point on an e-MTB…

So if that’s the only difference you’re wondering about, I don’t think you’ll miss it.
Thankyou Julie
Nobody seems to comment on it.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Thankyou Julie
Nobody seems to comment on it.
The Tero X is relatively new and not as common as the more performance-oriented e-MTBs that attract a lot of interest on this forum.

It’s a Specialized and it’s a premium e-bike. I have not tested the full powered Specialized motors (because I gravitate towards the lightweight e-bikes) but I had in the past a Specialized Turbo Vado SL with their SL motor and it was very natural, smooth and refined. The electronic integration I’ve seen on the Specialized e-bikes also seems to be among the best.

Enjoy!

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
The Tero X is relatively new and not as common as the more performance-oriented e-MTBs that attract a lot of interest on this forum.

It’s a Specialized and it’s a premium e-bike. I have not tested the full powered Specialized motors (because I gravitate towards the lightweight e-bikes) but I had in the past a Specialized Turbo Vado SL with their SL motor and it was very natural, smooth and refined. The electronic integration I’ve seen on the Specialized e-bikes also seems to be among the best.

Enjoy!
Thanks again Julie
Your right its not as exciting or sexy as some of the FSR offerings. But its pretty exciting for me. And coming from a motorcycle background. For me personally, Specialized are the Honda/BMW equivalent. I have wanted one one of their ebikes for ages. But pricing was always a sticking point. Im hoping the motor will be more refined than the Bosch CX. Where people can hear you coming 😀. Although the CX is a damn good motor otherwise. I just think the Brose unit cant sound much worse.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I haven't tried the Tero X but I did have a Tero 5.0 for around a year doing ~6.000km.
Tero is a great ebike and after owning a Specialized I got hooked but I missed the FS so I sold the Tero and also looked at the X which got FS but I didn't like the design so I got a Levo.
Tero is a great ebike and if I should buy one it would be X6.0 but that's me.
You can't go wrong with a Tero.

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
I haven't tried the Tero X but I did have a Tero 5.0 for around a year doing ~6.000km.
Tero is a great ebike and after owning a Specialized I got hooked but I missed the FS so I sold the Tero and also looked at the X which got FS but I didn't like the design so I got a Levo.
Tero is a great ebike and if I should buy one it would be X6.0 but that's me.
You can't go wrong with a Tero.
Appreciate the reply. But the numbers just didnt work for me to get the 6.0. I mean it was maybe 2k more than the 5.0. And I didnt think the difference was worth that much more. So unusual for me I went with my head. And the 5.0 is so much more than my Powerfly.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Appreciate the reply. But the numbers just didnt work for me to get the 6.0. I mean it was maybe 2k more than the 5.0. And I didnt think the difference was worth that much more. So unusual for me I went with my head. And the 5.0 is so much more than my Powerfly.
Due to my age I just prefer as much power as possible even though I maybe could manage with a bit less but everything in life is a priority and I don't mind spending some extra cash on a healthy hobby.

macp

Jul 30, 2023
UK
Due to my age I just prefer as much power as possible even though I maybe could manage with a bit less but everything in life is a priority and I don't mind spending some extra cash on a healthy hobby.
No I get it and im no spring chicken myself @ 57. But I dont think it will feel that much less than my current Powerfly. I was recently talking to the sales guy in my local specialized concept store. An older guy had bought a Levo SL with the 50Nm motor and was complaining about its lack of performance. But in actual fact he just bought the wrong bike. Im much happier with 70Nm 🙂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles