T0tal n00b from Newfoundland into the fray.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
Now I've gone and done it. I place a down payment on a 22 Levy Comp Alloy S4 in Green. I've been watching this site since the pandemic broke out and now it's finally done my head in enough to blow the wallet on a new bike. I'll be picking it up later in May when I return from a trip.

I hope to do a mix of trail riding and commuting on the bike, 32km round trip to the office. It will sure beat the price of gas which is over $2 a litre here now (I know you Euros will have little sympathy). It's my first trail bike in a LONG time and my first full suspension. I have had lot of time on a Yamaha WR450 so I hope some of those skills will carry over (close eyes and hang on tight!).

Cheers, I'm sure you'll see me lurking in the Specialized forum a lot,

Steve

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hi Steve and welcome to the forums.
Newfoundland is a destination for some of our friends. I’ve only been to Gander once (emergency stop in a Herc) but what a beautiful place. Probably great riding there too.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
Thank you, thank you. When the weather cooperates it's pretty outstanding but being an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean where the Gulf Stream meets the Labrador current, those days can sometimes be few and far between. Makes for a lot of wind, and we have hills in abundance so I think an ebike will be a great fit around here. I'll gladly share some pics once I get out riding again.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Our weather isn’t as extreme as yours but at least it rains a lot here 🙄. I’ve got three different colours of raincoats 👍🏻😉

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
Back from vacation and this is now in my office, not far from the LBS:
Image_20220524_155730.jpg

I've got about 16km ride home of hills and head winds. Should be as good a test as any!

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
23km for the ride home. Uphill and in the Northerly wind. It was glorious.

Easing up on the cranks before changing gears will take some getting use to. I can see how these bike eat chains!

Last edited:

Hartley Hare

Jun 1, 2022
Bristol, England
Now I've gone and done it. I place a down payment on a 22 Levy Comp Alloy S4 in Green. I've been watching this site since the pandemic broke out and now it's finally done my head in enough to blow the wallet on a new bike. I'll be picking it up later in May when I return from a trip.

I hope to do a mix of trail riding and commuting on the bike, 32km round trip to the office. It will sure beat the price of gas which is over $2 a litre here now (I know you Euros will have little sympathy). It's my first trail bike in a LONG time and my first full suspension. I have had lot of time on a Yamaha WR450 so I hope some of those skills will carry over (close eyes and hang on tight!).

Cheers, I'm sure you'll see me lurking in the Specialized forum a lot,

Steve
Hi there Steve
By coincidence I joined the forum today and happened to see "Newfoundland" in the newbie posts. I am coming to NFL, (land of my ancestors, etc, as the grandchild of an Emerson), in July (16-23) and was wondering whether I would get any riding in. My wife and cousins might be hacked off that I have pinged you a message, but life is for riding IMO!
I am sure you will have a whole lot of fun on the Levo - friends here in Bristol love them.
I have now got a couple of MTBs (one stolen and recovered after I'd bought the second), but cannot bring either of them because of the lithium battery on plane issue. Unless of course you know someone who might lend me a spare battery for my Canyon Spectral ;-). I may bring/rent an acoustic bike if the riding isn't too gruelling, but I'm very lazy these days. Are there many riders in St Johns, where we're staying?

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
Hi there Steve
By coincidence I joined the forum today and happened to see "Newfoundland" in the newbie posts. I am coming to NFL, (land of my ancestors, etc, as the grandchild of an Emerson), in July (16-23) and was wondering whether I would get any riding in. My wife and cousins might be hacked off that I have pinged you a message, but life is for riding IMO!
I am sure you will have a whole lot of fun on the Levo - friends here in Bristol love them.
I have now got a couple of MTBs (one stolen and recovered after I'd bought the second), but cannot bring either of them because of the lithium battery on plane issue. Unless of course you know someone who might lend me a spare battery for my Canyon Spectral ;-). I may bring/rent an acoustic bike if the riding isn't too gruelling, but I'm very lazy these days. Are there many riders in St Johns, where we're staying?
There are a couple of local bike shops (Canary Cycles and Free Ride Mountain Sports) that will know that better than I. I'm jumping back into biking after a LONG break from it. Around St. John's there is definitely some riding to be had. There's a small riding spot in the area of the White Hills that's next to Quidi Vidi Lake. I haven't been up there yet myself but plan to when wen the weather breaks better again. We have another weeklong forecast of RainDrizzleFog. That said, Newfoundland is very hilly, and is usually windy. So the ebike helps me immensely for that. St. John's isn't the most bike friendly city but there's a plan from council to change that. There are a number of lovely cross city trails that are pedestrian only - not that it stops me - but the plan is to make them shared use. When that actually happens in anyones guess. If you get in touch with either shop (I dealt with Canary's for my Levo) they may be able to set you up with a bike for the duration of your stay.

Hartley Hare

Jun 1, 2022
Bristol, England
There are a couple of local bike shops (Canary Cycles and Free Ride Mountain Sports) that will know that better than I. I'm jumping back into biking after a LONG break from it. Around St. John's there is definitely some riding to be had. There's a small riding spot in the area of the White Hills that's next to Quidi Vidi Lake. I haven't been up there yet myself but plan to when wen the weather breaks better again. We have another weeklong forecast of RainDrizzleFog. That said, Newfoundland is very hilly, and is usually windy. So the ebike helps me immensely for that. St. John's isn't the most bike friendly city but there's a plan from council to change that. There are a number of lovely cross city trails that are pedestrian only - not that it stops me - but the plan is to make them shared use. When that actually happens in anyones guess. If you get in touch with either shop (I dealt with Canary's for my Levo) they may be able to set you up with a bike for the duration of your stay.
Thanks so much Steve - I’ll get in touch with them🙏

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles