Hello! N00b from muddy Hampshire/Surrey

eRon

Feb 6, 2023
UK
New here, hope you're all well. Good to see a forum still having sucess, seems most are Facebook only which isn't really for me.

Back in to riding since lockdown on a 20yr old Specialized Hardrock. Got on the ebike scene 18 months or so ago, Frey Ex Pro, absolute beast of a bike. Don't ride proper trails as such, but plenty of paths and bridleways to enjoy within my 20 mile radius.

Forum obviously full of expertise I'd like to learn from. Looking at moving to new lighter bike (new or used), something I can flick/jump around a bit on as I certainly miss that aspect. Orbea Rise is looking like my preference but taking onboard opinions before I make the jump as these things are not cheap!

I do race track photography and enjoy all the usual stuff. Not in to creating video content as such but I've put a couple of ebike clips up on Youtube.

Would like to have a go at Rogate and maybe QECP later this year. Cheers Az

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
New here, hope you're all well. Good to see a forum still having sucess, seems most are Facebook only which isn't really for me.

Back in to riding since lockdown on a 20yr old Specialized Hardrock. Got on the ebike scene 18 months or so ago, Frey Ex Pro, absolute beast of a bike. Don't ride proper trails as such, but plenty of paths and bridleways to enjoy within my 20 mile radius.

Forum obviously full of expertise I'd like to learn from. Looking at moving to new lighter bike (new or used), something I can flick/jump around a bit on as I certainly miss that aspect. Orbea Rise is looking like my preference but taking onboard opinions before I make the jump as these things are not cheap!

I do race track photography and enjoy all the usual stuff. Not in to creating video content as such but I've put a couple of ebike clips up on Youtube.

Would like to have a go at Rogate and maybe QECP later this year. Cheers Az
Rogate is a blast, short runs but a few to choose from and something for everyone. I only ride bike parks on my dh bike as I prefer jumping it to my ebike but I really do miss it on the push-ups and Rogate push-ups are steep. See loads of e-bikes there now (including my mates) and I have to admit they get a lot more runs in that way.
Qecp is great on the ebike, the blue is a good all weather trail that’s fast and flowy. The red is a bit more technical but super slippery when wet (exposed chalk, thin topsoil layer in other places and lots of roots). The unofficial trails heading down the back at the Buriton end and railway line are the best and there’s lots of them. Some are very steep and very technical with log-overs and huge roll-ins. There’s even a load more unofficial trails in the Head-down area over the road from the Buriton car park that they use for the regional downhill and enduro competitions.
Happy trails!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... Qecp is great on the ebike, the blue is a good all weather trail that’s fast and flowy. The red is a bit more technical but super slippery when wet (exposed chalk, thin topsoil layer in other places and lots of roots) ...
We don't go there this time of year when it's wet. Only 30 mins from us. Been told about the Buriton side trails, must try them some time.

Edit: Buriton

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
If I've read the specs right that's a speed pedalec weighing 35kg?
Pretty much any normal emtb will feel light after riding that.
Hopefully not pointing out the obvious, but you wouldn't be allowed to ride b1ke sites on that bike.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
If I've read the specs right that's a speed pedalec weighing 35kg?
Pretty much any normal emtb will feel light after riding that.
Hopefully not pointing out the obvious, but you wouldn't be allowed to ride b1ke sites on that bike.
Agreed, didn’t realise what bike you have. I’ve seen people on bikes like that being refused at Rogate. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re told to leave by the park rangers at qecp.

eRon

Feb 6, 2023
UK
Cheers for the welcome and heads up about Buriton, I will certainly check that out. Quite lucky around here's there's plenty of tracks and green lanes I can access from my doorstep. I forgot I did Swinley once and that was a good fun.

Yes the bike is heavy, one of main reasons I'm looking for something lighter, a bit more agile and hopefully a bit more refined. I only run with the internal battery and that probably saves 4kg, and I can feel the difference. Didn't realise about not being allowed on the official trails, is that due to the weight or power? I can configure the 5 different assistance levels by plugging in to a laptop (done it once). I made level 1 very light, also level 2, wanted to maximise range as realised I could get 30 miles from the 1 battery (enough for me). Was one of the factors in buying the bike originally that I could customise it's performance/range.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Too be honest that bike is not allowed anywhere apart from private land, as per their website.

*with over 6 times the power of a road legal Ebike this machine is not for use on the road or public areas.

A legal ebike in the uk is 15.5 mph, 250watt.

I dont wish to preach, but you are essentially riding around on an untaxed, unlicensed, uninsured electric motorbike as far as the law is concerned.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles