Other Swartberg Pass on a 500W Battery

BillC

Feb 9, 2021
Plettenberg Bay
Looking for advice, do you think I can get 65Kms with 1900 metres of climbing out of my 2021 Levo (500W) to get over the Swartberg Pass and back ? I'm 90Kgs and normal fitness for a 65 year old. Also I have a friend who has a 2019 Levo comp (700w) Could I use this battery as a back up...
Anyone used Smart Control for something like this...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You could do it with smart control, but with that amount of distance and altitude over rough terrain you'd not end up getting much assistance. You'd probably physically adjust to this quite early on, so as long as you weren't trying to break any speed records, you might be ok.

With the extra 700 you should be fine jus using standard eco for most of the ride and be able to throw some trail in aswell .. maybe some squirts of turbo !

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
One of the guys I ride with rode from Cederberg to Kaleo - 86km and 1419m with a 700 battery and had 40% left.

He weights 80 but was using 10/60 ... so not much assistence.

I don't think a 500 will make it... unless you really dial down the power, even then id have range anxiety.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Looking for advice, do you think I can get 65Kms with 1900 metres of climbing out of my 2021 Levo (500W) to get over the Swartberg Pass and back ? I'm 90Kgs and normal fitness for a 65 year old. Also I have a friend who has a 2019 Levo comp (700w) Could I use this battery as a back up...
Anyone used Smart Control for something like this...

Problem with smart control I have found that it really neuters you at the beginning of the ride .... and then gives you all the power at the end. (suppose its not a bad thing)

why don't you go to hoogenkraal and go do laps and do a. range test ... (hoogies is nice as you can always bail out when the battery runs out)
that's what I did to get a idea of the range I can get on different settings.

BillC

Feb 9, 2021
Plettenberg Bay
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I did do some further investigation of the weekend which was interesting. Came across a Turbo Range Calculator which showed me that it would be tight at best !!

Also, another Specialized site giving some max speed/distance on certain batteries.

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 13.13.49.png

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I did do some further investigation of the weekend which was interesting. Came across a Turbo Range Calculator which showed me that it would be tight at best !!

Also, another Specialized site giving some max speed/distance on certain batteries.

View attachment 64786
that looks about right form what I've been getting on the default ... you can squeeze much more range if you change the eco setting to 20/30 ..and if you riding with non ebike riders I run eco at 15/30 and still feel confortable on some climbs around Cape Town... in this setting I can get about 100km on the 700 and about 75 on the 500... but you will be working harder.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles