Swalbe Ice Spike Pro (29 x 2.25) full destruction after 6 months!? Why?!

sergsmal

Dec 7, 2020
Tromso, Norway
Complete disappointment with the Swalbe ICE SPIKER PRO 57-622 winter tires (29 x 2.25). The tires have traveled about 1200-1300 km, only Northern Norway where from October 2020 until today they have been used only on ice and snow. Around February 2021, after the biketrips, the inner tube in the tire (sometimes in front, sometimes in the back) began to puncture, always from the side and in different places. New inner tubes have the same problem after several tens of kilometers. At first I could not understand what the problem is and why this is happening! After a while, I turned the tire inside out and found the reason: the rubber inside the tire has some kind of too soft rough structure, as if it dries inside, falls off the walls of the tire sides and this leads to the fact that the wire from tire on the sides becomes bare and begins to rub the inner chamber and make little punctures. The whole tire innside and the innertube are soiled in the rubber sang inside which just crumbles from the inside. From the outside, the tire looks like it is very old and also covered with micro cracks, attention, but it is only 6 months old! :( My bike stay only in the cold garage and rides only in cold weather, how is that possible ??? What kind of shitty stuff is this all made of? I kept constant pressure in the wheels: 2.3 bar / 2.6 bar. What is the problem, why is this happening? What are the solutions to the problem?

I also sent a message to the manufacturer of these tires (schwalbe). I didn't have any problems with the studs, but the quality of the rubber itself seems to be full disaster.
have you faced such problems?

20210320_142636.jpg
20210320_143010.jpg
20210320_144104.jpg
20210320_141508.jpg

20210318_172354.jpg

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I've never used these tires nor do I live in this colder climate as you do. You're using the wire bead with a tube I would suggest you go for the new ones that just came out that are foldable and you run them tubeless if and only if there are sealants that are viscous at the temperatures that you ride I think that whatever is causing the tire to fall apart which has happened to me before the inside will be spared if you have a fair amount of sealant that covers and binds to the inner wall so I think you'll probably get really good wear out of tubeless tire versus a tube one in this particular situation where you've described that the two of these getting sanded down by the roughness of the inside of the casing so you need to get rid of the tube

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
The rubber of the tyre is perished. UV exposure, extreme temperature storage can eventually degrade the rubber. Those tyres have been manufactured in 29 for quite a while now (mine are from 2014), perhaps your pair were not 'new' when you bought them. There might be a code on the side with manufacture date? (ive not seen one one mine though).

Had a pair of marathons fail in the same way, they were over 10 years old though.

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
I had the SCHWALBE Ice Spiker Pro Performance 27,5*2,25 (57-584) for about 2000km this winter season. Used it with tubes first then tubeless. Had no such problems.
However i did ride all different surfaces and found the overall performance pretty poor especially in the curves, tubeless and lower pressure worked a little better but i'll try other ones next season.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles