Survey: Best wheel size?

If you could choose any wheel combo which is it?

• 29/29

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • 29/27.5 mullet

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Either one works for me, I'm not too picky

Votes: 11 15.3%

• Total voters

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
Just curious how important wheel size is to everybody and why? I chose not to make 27.5/27.5 a choice, just because right now it seems to be trending out.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Tried the mullet and agree with Rahr85, that 27.5 x 2 seemed better for the type riding I do which is mainly trail/enduro type riding on single tracks where ever possible.
If you were more into downhill I think the mullet would come into it's own with the bigger wheel smoothing things out and it slackening the head angle slightly more.
I found that with the 29 on the front, in my type of riding, it would tend to 'push on' whilst cornering, plus seemed to turn tighter with both ends at 27.5, could have just been in my head, but that's how it felt to me.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I don't really mind too much, I have bikes with all 29 inch wheels and all 27.5. But if I had to choose only one size for all my bikes I'd go with 27.5, which isn't an option on the poll above

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would still go 27.5 both ends, might not be as outright fast, but on my local trails and riding I prefer it. Plus most mullets or 29' EMTB's I ride I notice the extra weight of having a heavier fork/wheel/tyre on the front.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never tried a mullet, but it may reduce the instances of my arse being buzzed by the rear tyre. Which is why I would never use one of those metal studded ice tyres without a mudguard!

I have tried 26/27.5 and 29 and they all have their pros and cons. Right now I'm on my first 29er and I like it. 29ers feel like they roll over stuff better and although the manoeuvrability is marginally less in the twisty stuff it is not something that troubles me. In fact after the first twisty ride though the woods I stopped thinking about it.

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
I'm a bit surprised to find so many like 27.5, and maybe with the motor larger wheels are less of a thing, as the motor helps you power of stuff... personally starting with 26", I went to 27.5" and that was better, then going to mullet, which felt better, then going to full 29 also seemed better, and now back to mullet which is again I think I like better than full 29. Which I know doesn't make much sense. So maybe it's good to just change it up every now and then.

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
I’m sure there’sa lot of valuable E=MC knowledge out there to support all views, but it really comes down to your trails and riding style/preference. I’ve found that 27.5 is more lively and 29 is more stable. My current ride was just converted to a mullet and I’m very happy with it. Dropping the rear to 27.5 gave me a more desirable (for me) slacker head angle and the bike is noticeably more playful and lively on the down. Keeping the front at 29 makes the bike more stable in the real ruff and gnarly, but there is a trade off for quickness. It’s all about compromise.

N D

Feb 26, 2020
England
27.5 / 27.5

What evidence is there to suggest (or is it just an incorrect assumption) that 27.5/27.5 trending out...

NewLifeLevo

Sep 23, 2019
Victoria, BC, Canada
For the last few years, I've always favoured a mullet setup (first analog and now Levo). But I switched to 27.5/27/5 with 2.8 tires for winter and the mud and loving it. Cornering, traction and fun in spades. Can't wait to try 2.4's in the spring and may not go back to mullet. So another vote for 27.5.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I ran my bike with a 27.5/27.5 setup for the first four months that I had it. I ride West Coast North Shore trails up in Vancouver. Mostly blacks and double black diamond trails.

I also recently switched to a Fox 38 mullet setup for the last two months. I find the 29er just gives me so much more confidence in the bike on the steep technical trails. My buddy has the exact same bike as me too and now he’s going to switch to the 29er front too.

At the same time if I mostly rode flow style trails without the steep tech I probably would have switched back to a 27.5/27.5 setup.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I'm a bit surprised to find so many like 27.5
I'm a bit surprised someone makes a poll with limited options. What did you think when you left the option away? Would be interesting to find out logic behind these irrelevant options provided here.

It's now more interesting than the results.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
An age old debate.

It’s really down to personal preference, your style of riding, what you get used to and perhaps type of terrain.

ive run 29 for around 10 years now. Before eMtb. And found 29 to roll better. I’ve had 26 and 27.5 bikes too. The 27.5 felt positively similar to a 26 but 29 was noticeable. Maybe too much for some to go from 26-29.

smaller riders had issues of bum contact on the larger wheels hence when 29/27.5 was allowed in racing many when to a big roller up front.

I’m no expert but for me 29 up front helps the bike through more knarl...rocks gardens, helps grip on off camber loose and rooty. With reference to tight corners and switchbacks, technique is key. You have to crank the bike over harder for sure. However you can rail 29 around corners just look online. What’s as much a contributing factor is bike geo...longer chain stays, longer front center etc will make a bike feel less agile in corners as much as hoop size.

27.5 are better at jump tricks, whips etc due to less gyroscopic forces. Just more poppy. Maybe more bike park friendly.

Another factor is 29ers were for many years designed around road bike geometry. Steeper head angles, shorter travel shorter front centres, high bb etc etc. 27.5 was associated with long travel and DH. That’s now very much changed with 180mm 29er forks, 63 head angles and DH geometry.

stick the same rider on the same bike that can take 29 and 27 wheels on the same DH track and 29 often comes out faster.

Putting 27.5 in the back tightens rear end (ooh err) gives less flex and also allows shorter CS.

Anyway essay over - sorry long winded. There are some awesome bikes in both wheel sizes and mixed.

I’d like a survey on chainstay length now ;-)

ps Mullet is my fav ...and before EMtb exploded.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It's just personal preference isn't it?

As I said up there, I've got mountain bikes with 29 wheels and bikes with 27.5 wheels. And I'm fine riding either, but I prefer the feel of 27.5.

It's hard to describe why I don't like 29 wheel bikes as much as 27.5,but every 29 inch wheel bike I've ridden(not just the one I own) always feels a bit like it's on stilts, I don't know why this is, because the bb height of the 29ers I've ridden is the same or lower than the 27.5 bikes, the handlebar height is the same.

On my trails my 29 wheel bike is clearly faster downhill than my 27.5 wheel bikes, but I prefer the feel of 27.5 wheel bikes in general.

29 inch wheel bikes I've ridden extensively : 2015 Spesh enduro. 2018 Spesh enduro, 2019 ibis ripmo, 2020 orbea wild fs all these have the same 'on stilts' feeling, to me anyway.

27.5 inch wheel bikes : 2018 yt capra, 2014 orbea rallon

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I agree and as you say sometimes it’s the psychology that gives impressions however being positive on a bike is as important as wheel size for sure.

I too run a Spesh 2015 and mullet it when steeper stuff beckons ( not at moment ref full hospitals) as have a choice of technicality riding from my door. This also drops the BB by a fair degree adding to stability.

The BB height of the bikes you have ridden (a great selection btw) varies. The 29 Ripmo has a bb height of 341 ...Lower than YT at 346. So in terms of physics, when descending and weight is on BB you are actually lower with CoG on the 29er. However figures don’t relate to feel. Maybe just seeing a big wheel up front gives the impression of being on stilts. But if faster on 29 then somethings working well. It may be that your Rallon feels more poppy and fun due to geometry etc.

I far prefer my 2015 E29 to the 27.5 Commencal meta AM owned a few years ago. The 27.5 front wheel on rock gardens just felt draggy vs the 29. However this may have been just me being used to 29 upfront.

the Enduro 29 and Intense Tracer were the first two proper 29ers imho, departing from the road bike umbilical cord. This has for sure driven into EMtb geo too.

in terms of on stilts...my e29 does feel higher than a mates 27 spectral but then the reach and CS length on that bike is smaller too.

Seems what it boils down to is no wrong and right just what suits the individual, their riding style, riding conditions and previous experiences.

A good debate however do agree the 27/27 category is one that cannot be ignored ...you’re dialling out bikes like the Whyte and Kenevo. Mind by the time you’ve stuck fat tyres on a 27 rim it’s up to near 29er ;-)

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
And another 27.5/27.5 here ... with the added weight and the usual long chainstays of ebikes 29er is the worst you can do, at least on both ends.

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
I'm a bit surprised someone makes a poll with limited options. What did you think when you left the option away? Would be interesting to find out logic behind these irrelevant options provided here.

It's now more interesting than the results.

the logic was based on DH and enduro racers have pretty much all gone to at least 29 up front... then the sponsor that make the bikes seem to be following. But you're right, I really didn't expect this much interest in 27.5. The only answer is to make another survey, with all the wheel options including 26/26, But I'll give it some time

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Many have gone 29 at least up front as found to be fast, once rolling, they wouldn’t go 29 if it was slower. Take Martin Maes for example....

if you want short front end and short CS get a 26/26 ;-)

27.5 is actually nearer 27.0 than 27.5. When I had a 27.5 meta AM found it not hugely dissimilar to 26 up front. 29 does feel different and takes time to adapt. It’s often not instant coming off smaller a wheel.

I really like the mullet setup on both Ebike and non Ebike but as said above its personal and what you get used to.

Bear in mind a 29er frame can also take 27.5. Gives flexibility however you will (being serious now) get longer CS to accommodate the wheel sizes. Oh, unles you go Focus Sam2....adjustable chainstays from 430 to 450. Awesome looking bike.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Check out Enduro Bikes 2020 speed shootout:

A good review of bikes with varying chainstays, geometry and reach etc. This does transpose to EMtb also so may give you a good benchmark of what may suit.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have 3 x 27.5/27.5 eBikes and just picked up my first mullet. Only had a few rides but I really think I'm a convert. I was really skeptical and it's hard to just take the wheel size in isolation (new fork etc..) but, damn, I like the way the front end on the new bike feels.

Haven't voted because I don't think the results will represent properly. Three weeks ago I would have been firmly in the 27.5 camp. Today, I'm not so sure...

Gordon

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
I have 3 x 27.5/27.5 eBikes and just picked up my first mullet. Only had a few rides but I really think I'm a convert. I was really skeptical and it's hard to just take the wheel size in isolation (new fork etc..) but, damn, I like the way the front end on the new bike feels.

Haven't voted because I don't think the results will represent properly. Three weeks ago I would have been firmly in the 27.5 camp. Today, I'm not so sure...

Gordon
What's the new mulleted bike Gordon, you don't say in your reply

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles