Super bikes - the rise of the 10k EMTB

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So with the almost daily flurry of new EMTB launches, mostly driven by the new Bosch system, one thing that seems to be pretty common is some mega spec top end models coming in at around the 10k dollar/euro/pound mark. Previously a space only occupied by the S-Works Levo, Pivot Shuttle, and BMC Speedfox Amp one, we will be seeing a lot of these bikes hitting the market over the next few months.

This new KTM Machina Sonic Prowler got me thinking about starting the thread, as they really have thrown everything at it - 180mm travel, full SRAM AXS wireless groups and dropper, carbon frame, carbon wheels, etc etc, coming in at 10k, which looking at some of the other bikes at this price range actually seems pretty good value when you take into account the cost of the groupset alone.

2020 KTM Macina Prowler Sonic – New eMTB with lots of travel and Bosch motor | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

So by my reckoning we now have the following "Super EMTB's" , plus some others that escape me at the moment. Feel free to add any I haven't thought of!

S-Works Levo
Pivot Shuttle
BMC Speedfox Amp
Merida e160 10k
Rotwild RX750

And we also now seem to have a load of bikes at the 8k mark, which would be a far longer list.

So what are everyones thoughts on this? Apart from throwing a load of carbon at the bikes, and given the motors and batteries are generally available on bikes at much cheaper price points, and finally that that the likes of Commencal, Propain and Vitus are offering very similar spec alloy bikes at near enough half the price, I personally can't see that you are getting much if anything more in terms of on trail experience, especially given the the new Bosch system gives you a bigger battery, which used to be one of the key factors with the S-Works and Expert Levo's that differentiated them at that price point.

Don't get me wrong, the likes of the new KTM and the Rotwild in particular are bikes I would love to own, but I don't think you are getting a better riding bike for the significant uplift in price.

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 19.30.09.png

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 19.30.28.png

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 19.31.09.png

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 19.31.47.png

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 19.32.23.png

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 19.33.00.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It always makes me laugh when i hear folk say they'd like an Emtb one day but they're waiting until they drop in price.

I genuinely wouldn't want any of those.

Quick Q.
does the new Bosch motor have no drag above the assistance limit (like a Shimano)

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I guess it’s more of a vanity/exclusivity thing, I’m definitely guilty of it (mmm, kashima coating). You’re certainly not going to go any faster, and if anything the bike will be more unreliable....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles