• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Sun Glasses Advice Please

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
Hi All
I need to get my self some sunglasses for riding in I bought a cheap pair from wiggle and just steam up all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have alway bought Oakley for casual wearing. I Have seen some oakleys with vents is but also quick like the look of Poc too. I don’t need prescription lens.

Thank you

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
I got fake Oakleys and they were atrocious, too big, constantly slipped down my nose, no grip on the arms. I guess the real ones are totally different if no one has a problem with them. This is how I ended up getting the RockBros ones that are built like a tank in comparison.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I ought to add I didn't pay that much for mine - at the time they were about £145 and I got them through my companies C2W scheme, so they were even cheaper through that.

£145 :eek: over the years I have probably broken/lost a couple of hundred quids worth of glasses, but not all in one go. Guess you must staple them to the side of your head for each ride. :)

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
Hi all thanks for all the advice, I went for a set of Oakley Jawbraker with prism trail lens

Imdid prefer Radar EV but was to slow and sold out! So Have ordered these hopefully try them out at the weekend

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
£145 :eek: over the years I have probably broken/lost a couple of hundred quids worth of glasses, but not all in one go. Guess you must staple them to the side of your head for each ride. :)
The Oakleys have a magic material that goes over the ends of the arms (they call them "socks"). They make the nose pieces from it too. When they were searching for this material, they called it "unobtainium" because nobody made a material that had the qualities they wanted. They found it eventually and it's brilliant. No matter how sweaty I get nor how much sun screen or insect repellent I use, no matter how far I have fallen, or how many times I bounce, I have never lost the Oakley specs from my face. I have broken every helmet I have had except the two I have right now, so my head has received some proper knocks and I still have not had the Oakleys knocked out of place.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
The Oakleys have a magic material that goes over the ends of the arms (they call them "socks"). They make the nose pieces from it too. When they were searching for this material, they called it "unobtainium" because nobody made a material that had the qualities they wanted. They found it eventually and it's brilliant. No matter how sweaty I get nor how much sun screen or insect repellent I use, no matter how far I have fallen, or how many times I bounce, I have never lost the Oakley specs from my face. I have broken every helmet I have had except the two I have right now, so my head has received some proper knocks and I still have not had the Oakleys knocked out of place.

Yes mate, totally agree, you often hear 'forgot I was wearing them' which is actually 100% true with the Oakley's. Someone bought fakes and seemed a bit surprised that they were rubbish and the real ones are brilliant.
Buy cheap, buy twice is another common place saying that is applicable here.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
For Oakley photochromics, that's a really good price.
They are a bit unusual looking- ngl- but that's just my personal opinion.
I'd have them straight away if I didn't have the Radar ev ones, the speed that the glasses change from dark to clear is stunning and bloody useful for mtb in summer when you can be in clear open sunlight to dark canopy overhead in a second.

Reactions: Dax

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Other than the photochromic, which Oakley lenses are ideal for trail conditions? There seems to be many options from Oakley but no detailed explanation of the different type of lenses. Not that I can find any info anyway

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have the Jawbreaker PRIZM Trail Torch now for a few months, should have bought it years ago.
The filters are contrast enhancing in light and dark situations and gives good protection in bright sun.

Before the Jawbreaker, i changed lenses to the light condition, no need for that anymore.

I’m looking at the Sutros, either the standard ‘large” size or the smaller Sutro S, with trail torch lens. Just need to try them both on to see which size fits better

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have the Jawbreaker PRIZM Trail Torch now for a few months, should have bought it years ago.
The filters are contrast enhancing in light and dark situations and gives good protection in bright sun.

Before the Jawbreaker, i changed lenses to the light condition, no need for that anymore.

Have them too and agree with you, you can go from bright sunshine to shade under trees and still see really well without having to muck around changing lenses, don't notice I have them on. Will try them for skiing on warmer days.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
As most have mentioned already, I also ride Oakley Flak 2.0 with the MTB specific Trail Torch lense. Also have the Trail Torch for my goggles as well for dusty summer park laps. Brilliant lenses

I just added some prizim road lenses (left pair) to my prizim trail torch (right pair) the road lenses are a lot darker.

note: both have prescription inserts you can see if you look close.

B6126AF0-1904-4F34-9164-6E7ACA7FD522.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles