Summer vacation in UK next year?

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I know a bunch of you are over the pond... My wife and I are thinking of spending a week doing a MTB tour and whatnot on the Isle of Man, and have that dialed in pretty well, as it is our second visit to the Isle. We have another week or so to spend, and need some suggestions.

We will fly into and out of Heathrow from California, and have spent time in London 3 times. We have not ventured out of London... What should we go see? Open to all suggestions, and we did not plan to do any biking on that part of the trip. I really want to see more of Great Britain in particular.

We do enjoy pubs, food in general, seeing old historic things, scenery, hiking, some sports, though don't follow any in particular.

We toured Italy last year & Ireland the year before, but have never toured GB proper...

I've suggested attending the Goodwood Festival of Speed, so that MAY take up some of the time, but not sure if that fits her schedule as a teacher yet.

Cheers!

John.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
How will you be travelling around. England has so many places of interest. The national trust has loads of property’s all over the U.K. If you join then it’s free entry to them all, worth it if you plan on seeing a few of them.
proper old English pubs in the countryside will be nice. 👍

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Excellent suggestions from @Bones ! Leeds is a gem, starting point for the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

York. Stay anywhere near the wall and walk. Walled city, built by the Romans, 1000-year old Cathedral
Chester. Stay in the centre. Walled city built by the Romans
Liverpool. Stay as close as you can to Albert Docks.
Lincoln Stay at the top of the hill, the old part. Walled city built by the Romans, very old cathedral. Castle.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Thank you so far! as far as how we will travel, we have not decided. I don’t mind driving on the other side of the road, and cities don’t bother me. I drove all over the Irish Isle, and drove in Palermo Italy, so I can deal with extremes. If we attend Goodwood, we will rent a car for sure. If we can use the train, might just do that.

I originally has wanted to take 3 weeks to see Great Britain in a roundabout way, hitting some highlights, but then my wife told me to go to the BMW motorcycle rally with my buddies, and that she wanted to do the Isle of Man eMTB tour and stay a whole week and relax. Leaving one week to see a couple highlights we haven’t seen before.

this year we did 3 weeks, Italy & Sicily, with no relaxing, go go go…. We had planned relaxing, but then Moto GP was in Italy during our trip, so we got rid of the relax days & slammed it all in. 10 hour flight, from the west coast, so we tried to make the most of the time overseas. But it was a blast. Got to see where half my family was from.

I don’t do group tours, I just make a plan & execute!

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
The Isle of Man lies 26 miles off the Cumbrian coast, and Cumbria is home to the world famous Lake district, which is famous for its extensive mountain and lake scenery, walking, climbing, biking (including all sorts of MTB rides), historical sites, boating, literary connections, narrow guage and preserved steam railways, etc, etc, etc.

There are also hundreds of good pubs and restaurants and all sorts of accommodation types, from camp sites to luxury hotels.

It is a short boat journey to the port of Heysham in Lancashire from the Isle of Man, and the Lake District is only half an hour north of there by car.

You could spend a month here and do something different every day.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
The Isle of Man lies 26 miles off the Cumbrian coast, and Cumbria is home to the world famous Lake district, which is famous for its extensive mountain and lake scenery, walking, climbing, biking (including all sorts of MTB rides), historical sites, boating, literary connections, narrow guage and preserved steam railways, etc, etc, etc.

There are also hundreds of good pubs and restaurants and all sorts of accommodation types, from camp sites to luxury hotels.

It is a short boat journey to the port of Heysham in Lancashire from the Isle of Man, and the Lake District is only half an hour north of there by car.

You could spend a month here and do something different every day.

Cool! Except you used that dirty word…. Boat. Me no likey. Though, I could find my way there!

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
We found the trip to MTB on IOM is very reasonable. Now, looking at this more seriously. Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
We do enjoy pubs, food in general, seeing old historic things, scenery, hiking
The three national parks spread across Northern England fit your criteria perfectly. The Lake District, Yorkshire Dales & North Yorkshire Moors.

You could travel by train from London Kings Cross to York. Stay a day or two in York, hire a car, travel around the North, head back to York, then train back to London. Perfect

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Another thought from me is if you fancy visiting some castles then head up to Northumberland. The place is full of them 👍 . From bamburgh and Hagerston and even with the tides permitting out over the causeway to Holly island . Still staying East Go on to Edinburgh and then up through the Cairngorms. That should keep you busy for a couple of hours 🤣

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Another thought from me is if you fancy visiting some castles then head up to Northumberland. The place is full of them 👍 . From bamburgh and Hagerston and even with the tides permitting out over the causeway to Holly island . Still staying East Go on to Edinburgh and then up through the Cairngorms. That should keep you busy for a couple of hours 🤣
We actually want to do a full 3 week UK trip. Head into Scotland then.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
So what is there to do in the south? I think we are settling in on having about a half week outside of going to Goodwood Festival of speed. 1 week IOM, 1 week Goodwood FOS & something cool to see. Though, you guys make me want to head north! That will be the next trip.

I mean, I see Cheddar is in the south... I can drive to get me some cheese... Granted I live in CA, about 20 minutes from one of the largest cheese factories in the US... but it isn't good stuff.

So how about some south ideas? I'm keeping the north ones handy for sure!

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Hire a bike at bike park Wales and enjoy the uplift and trails!
That's South Wales, does that count? 😁

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
London?

Yeah, London. You know, bad weather, worse food. Fish & chips, cup-o-tea, London!

s-l1600.jpg

If you do make it to Goodwood, you are slap bang in the middle of the south downs national park. Miles & miles of trails in lovely surroundings. You could literally step out of Goodwood & onto the trails.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
London?

Yeah, London. You know, bad weather, worse food. Fish & chips, cup-o-tea, London!

View attachment 125132

If you do make it to Goodwood, you are slap bang in the middle of the south downs national park. Miles & miles of trails in lovely surroundings. You could literally step out of Goodwood & onto the trails.
We've been to London 3 times now! I know you can't see EVERYTHING in London in the time we've been, but wanting to get out of the city a bit.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I guess you haven't seen Snatch? But Goodwood is a decent idea, you'll like it there. Portsmouth nearby too, if you have a thing for naval history.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Stratford upon Avon, Oxford - both worthy of a visit

Just to expand on this suggestion (I wrote it in a rush earlier!)

The area between Oxford and Stratford is known as the Cotswolds and is absolutely rammed full of picturesque chocolate box history. I used to work in a small town called Burford in the heart of the Cotswolds and it was full of American tourists in awe of the area.

Oxford is obviously a University town but has some amazing architecture and is such a small city everywhere is easily accessible by foot.

Stratford upon Avon, the birthplace of William Shakespeare, is a tourist hotspot dripping in Medieval history.

You could easily spend a week in this area and thoroughly enjoy each and every day

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Stratford upon Avon, Oxford - both worthy of a visit
Stratford upon Avon, yes. River through the centre, home of Shakespeare, lots of oldy-worldy buildings, what's not to like. But stay away from Oxford! OK, city of dreaming spires and all that, home of Inspector Morse, but it is one of the most unfriendly cities to cars that I have ever come across.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Another suggestion for down south …

Stonehenge, the village of Avebury and Uffington White Horse. Proper pre-historic history that will blow your mind, all set in the rolling chalk hilly landscape of Wiltshire and SW Oxfordshire

At Uffington White Horse you can walk along the Ridgeway (ancient road) and also see the remains of an ancient fort and head up to Wayland Smithy burial mound

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
The Lake District is amazing but in the South UK west is best for food pubs etc Cotswolds, Avebury, Bath, Bristol then Forest of Dean and Bike Park Wales for riding. These guys do good videos on food and lodging around the uk

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
The FoS is a brilliant weekend, also in great surroundings. Arundal castle is nearby too.
Bath is great for historic walks and buildings.
Oxford and Cambridge (not close by, but still in the south) are definetly worth a visit if you're interested in old world english tradishionalism.
Cornwall is absolutely lovely and definetly different, polar opposite of California coast lines lol

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Just to expand on this suggestion (I wrote it in a rush earlier!)

The area between Oxford and Stratford is known as the Cotswolds and is absolutely rammed full of picturesque chocolate box history. I used to work in a small town called Burford in the heart of the Cotswolds and it was full of American tourists in awe of the area.
Full of American Tourists? ack! hahahahaha. Most of us aren't that bad... :ROFLMAO:
Last year, in Sicily, I was having a pint at a British pub, chatting with a chap from Edinburgh. Almost had to use Google translate, but we had a great time.

Thanks for the tips!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles