• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
installed STUNLOCKER , change the location and wheels size . So much easier to keep momentum keeps momentum . Bike is amazing now rides more like a regular bike . Power delivery is smooth because the cutout doesn't interfere in inclines .
So freakin good !

PUMPDAD

Jul 28, 2020
Sussex
installed STUNLOCKER , change the location and wheels size . So much easier to keep momentum keeps momentum . Bike is amazing now rides more like a regular bike . Power delivery is smooth because the cutout doesn't interfere in inclines .
So freakin good !
Did you purchase the licence? Im guessing what you have done puts the speedo out?

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
Did you purchase the licence? Im guessing what you have done puts the speedo out?
Bought the App on itunes , and then sent off the form , supper easy even for a not tech person .Yes it did put the speedo out , but I don't care about the speedo has no real purpose its a bit gimmicky.
MTB is perception of speed, judging speed, maintaining speed , grip . Sure its cool seeing highest speed .
Battery life is really the only thing I need on a small 540 watt battery, no real mega days out on a 540 watt .
Once I worked out cadence on the first ride I now don't bother with that display either .
speedos are overrated , so are tubes

dkoluris

Sep 24, 2020
Athens
Screenshot_20200924-115523.jpg

With this setup and firmware versions, can I safely buy the premium license and change the Region to US and Circumference to 1300?

Trulssson

Sep 27, 2020
Sweden
Thank you fore the good work i have 7000 and The orginal % is 238 and I can only change it to 250% how do i change it to more?

Tondizza

Sep 25, 2020
Australia
Hi Vadll, I am a newbie, and reading through your forums , could I take advantage of the free special offer and receive a copy of the software?
Is this software Bluetooth to the bike or do i need other hardware.

Marc_250

Sep 20, 2019
UK
Hi,

My E8000 just bit the bullet and is been replaced under warranty.

Couple of Qs....I assume the replacement will come with the latest firmware on board will stunlocker work with it?

Do I have to buy stunlocker again as I seem to recall it's tied to the serial number of the drive unit?

FYI E8000 managed over 17,000 miles of derestricted fun before some bearings gave out ;)

dkoluris

Sep 24, 2020
Athens
Hi,

My E8000 just bit the bullet and is been replaced under warranty.

Couple of Qs....I assume the replacement will come with the latest firmware on board will stunlocker work with it?

Do I have to buy stunlocker again as I seem to recall it's tied to the serial number of the drive unit?

FYI E8000 managed over 17,000 miles of derestricted fun before some bearings gave out ;)

It will work with latest firmware 4.8.0, just changed region to USA on mine. But yes, it seems that the app's premium license is tied to the serial number because it's required information when you are purchasing a single license. You could talk to the developer and explain what is going on though.

17,000 miles! That's amazing, really dials down my anxiety of how much life the E8000 packs :)

Laffe

Jul 23, 2020
Norway
Hi again.
I just had my motor swapped on warranty. When I had it in high mode it staggered. It seemed to go on and off at small invertals.
Nothing to do with the app, and no questions about modding when they serviced it.
What do I need to do to activate the app again?

Ben64

Aug 31, 2020
France
Hi,
I used STUnlocker with pleasure for 15 days then while driving on the road abnormal noise and engine creaking and spinning in a vacuum.
I was able to restore the original parameters and the engine go to SAV. I don't think this is from the app but I will keep you posted.

Vadll :
If i get a new engine, the number changes. Will it be possible to have a new license, like Laffe?
I already have two licenses, one for me and one for my wife.

Laffe

Jul 23, 2020
Norway
Hi,
I used STUnlocker with pleasure for 15 days then while driving on the road abnormal noise and engine creaking and spinning in a vacuum.
I was able to restore the original parameters and the engine go to SAV. I don't think this is from the app but I will keep you posted.

Vadll :
If i get a new engine, the number changes. Will it be possible to have a new license, like Laffe?
I already have two licenses, one for me and one for my wife.
You have to get a new license

Laffe

Jul 23, 2020
Norway
i had some errorcodes appear today e010 a few times and e020 one time.
connected the app and see this. Can anyone explain? Lol. I actually also said to my friend that the bike seem easier and faster before i saw this.

D8CDA4C9-2EE6-43F3-9CE2-2E3AC8B4BECB.jpeg

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
i had some errorcodes appear today e010 a few times and e020 one time.
connected the app and see this. Can anyone explain? Lol. I actually also said to my friend that the bike seem easier and faster before i saw this.

Try connecting with the E-Tube app and see if it shows any errors.

Also for reference, Shimano STEPS error codes:

E010 – System error detected
Restrictions:
No power assist while riding​
Remedy:
Press the battery’s power button to turn it on again. If no improvement, contact place of purchase.​

and
E020 – Communication error detected between battery and drive unit
Restrictions:
No power assist while riding​
Remedy:
Let your dealer check that cable between drive unit and battery is properly connected. If cable is damaged, replace with new one.​

Laffe

Jul 23, 2020
Norway
Error message no problem. But just wondering how I get 12000watt power and over 100nm lol. It’s way more than I can configure

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Error message no problem. But just wondering how I get 12000watt power and over 100nm lol. It’s way more than I can configure

The error codes allude to why you're getting wrong numbers. Unless you really think those numbers are real LOL

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
The error codes allude to why you're getting wrong numbers. Unless you really think those numbers are real LOL
it appears that most of those figures are wrong, eg the battery has done 25,946 cycles! What's going on? It kind of looks like data corruption. Are you able to reset? Or redo the last update with the shimano app? These aren't suggestions, I'm just curious; if it was me, I'd proceed carefully.

Laffe

Jul 23, 2020
Norway
Fixed itself i guess. The stunlocker app shower this, opened the tube app, saw nothing no upgrades and reopened stunlocker and all good

chainring

Oct 18, 2020
british columbia
Hello - new member here. I have an e8000 and have purchased the license. Great product! However I would like to try to downgrade to firmware 4.6.1 or 4.3.2 and have found instructions, but am having trouble locating the files. Would anyone here be kind enough to point me in the right direction to find the correct files? Feel free to send pm's. Thanks in advance!

Peacock

Oct 20, 2020
Australia
Hi @vadII

Hoping you can maybe help with this one, I have the Merida EOne Sixty 5000 with the Shimano steps E7000 / 60kn motor.
Recently downloaded licence for St Unlocker and all went well.
However when I change the destination from UK to USA it goes through the approx. 7 steps and then when I apply, for some reason reverts back to the UK setting of 25km (I’m obviously after the 32km setting

My partner has the FW 4.8 and my friend the FW 4.4 both of which have worked fine with the USA destination.

I have 4.6 FW, is this material?
Any ideas please???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles