STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
About EP8 regulation log:

I thought the STEPS system add a new log record automatically (I couldn't check it as I didn't get my EP8 yet), but those "smart" guys from Shimano made an extra command to add an entry to the regulation log. So, if you change the region/circumference in STUnlocker, no entries are added to the log. And, it turns out that all Shimano stories that now (with EP8) they will see "derestriction" changes are just a "scary" story.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Any possibility for STunlocker to support newer firmwares on EP8 in near future?
There is nothing to support. Shimano has blocked the "derestriction" commands in all recent FWs when the bike is connected via Bluetooth.

gillyske

Dec 3, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
About EP8 regulation log:

I thought the STEPS system add a new log record automatically (I couldn't check it as I didn't get my EP8 yet), but those "smart" guys from Shimano made an extra command to add an entry to the regulation log. So, if you change the region/circumference in STUnlocker, no entries are added to the log. And, it turns out that all Shimano stories that now (with EP8) they will see "derestriction" changes are just a "scary" story.
Hi, happy user of the STU unlocked app with an EP8 motor. Is there any way to destrict the motor whilst still keep speed reading? Or will this be added in the future? Also do you have any guides on destricting the motor completely? I am currently using US market settings.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi, happy user of the STU unlocked app with an EP8 motor. Is there any way to destrict the motor whilst still keep speed reading? Or will this be added in the future? Also do you have any guides on destricting the motor completely? I am currently using US market settings.
In theory: it requires patched/non-original FW. Nobody wants to use non-original FWs

Mayhem

Apr 11, 2021
SoCal USA
New user here. Just installed it, tested it worked as promised on Orbea rise. Opened up Etube and it asked me to update firmware to X.14, after update all derestricted settings were gone and the limits were back to stock. I was able to reinstall old Firmware and derestrict again but have not updated the Firmware to x.14 it works as promised again.
Does this mean you can not use STunlocker with new versions of firmware? Or is there a way to update firmware without clearing the changes?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
New user here. Just installed it, tested it worked as promised on Orbea rise. Opened up Etube and it asked me to update firmware to X.14, after update all derestricted settings were gone and the limits were back to stock. I was able to reinstall old Firmware and derestrict again but have not updated the Firmware to x.14 it works as promised again.
Does this mean you can not use STunlocker with new versions of firmware? Or is there a way to update firmware without clearing the changes?
Never heard this before. All settings are remains after update/downgrade

Mayhem

Apr 11, 2021
SoCal USA
I downgraded and reinstalled the settings through STunlocker and then updated the software. This time it seems to have worked. My suspicion is that it has to do with the update procedure where you have to accept the update at the end of the install. But not really sure.
Regardless, everything works as promised.

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
I have heard recently that Shimano has rejected warranty because thirdparty software has been used for destricting. One had EP8 bike with 300kms and with torque sensor fault. Another two were with e7000 & e8000 motors, so be careful. Country setting had been changed back to normal before service. What kind of data these motors store? Is there difference between the firmware? Is some speed box safer solution?

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
I have heard recently that Shimano has rejected warranty because thirdparty software has been used for destricting. One had EP8 bike with 300kms and with torque sensor fault. Another two were with e7000 & e8000 motors, so be careful. Country setting had been changed back to normal before service. What kind of data these motors store? Is there difference between the firmware? Is some speed box safer solution?
"...
we have just checked the submitted Shimano STEPS motor DU-E8000.
The drive unit has several sensor deviations as well as a gearbox damage.
According to the detailed evaluation, the drive unit was operated several times at an excessive design speed.
This will result in a loss of warranty.

We can exchange the motor unit for a fee

We will dispose of the old motor free of charge if you do not order it back within 14 days.

kind regards
..."

country set to US and set back before service (E8000, 1 Year, 6.300km)

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
country set to US and set back before service (E8000, 1 Year, 6.800km)

so those motors supplied to the US market are not up to the "excessive design speed"!

This seems like typical old school warranty bs; they're using the law of the country as an excuse to wipe the warranty. The warranty should be uniform. Now, if the motor was set to go beyond the US limit, and therefore beyond "design speed", that would be understandable. I suppose this is something we can't confirm at this point.

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
"...
According to the detailed evaluation, the drive unit was operated several times at an excessive design speed.

We will dispose of the old motor free of charge if you do not order it back within 14 days.

kind regards
..."

Did you use latest fw and/or shimanos own app with different country code?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
"...
Has the shop provided any evidence of this? Much like an unsubstantiated statement to get money out of a client.

bikedrd

Apr 5, 2021
US
"...

kind regards
..."

How in the world would they know? Was the speed supposedly exceeded by exceeding a set limit, by wrong country code, or wheel circumference? If only the latter, it seems hard to figure out.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Has the shop provided any evidence of this? Much like an unsubstantiated statement to get money out of a client.
It's a good point, however they must have known there was a change via a code or something. They wouldn't make such a statement if they weren't sure that something happened. I do think there is an argument that the motor did not exceed the US standard which the motor is designed for.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It's a good point, however they must have known there was a change via a code or something. They wouldn't make such a statement if they weren't sure that something happened. I do think there is an argument that the motor did not exceed the US standard which the motor is designed for.
There is nothing in the motor that can be readed and presented as evidence (if all settings was changed to stock), IMHO. Moreover, the maximum speed affects the motor wear to a lesser extent. You can go uphill at 5 km/h in Boost for a long time and load the motor above or near its limit.

norrit

Aug 11, 2020
Austria
There is nothing in the motor that can be readed and presented as evidence (if all settings was changed to stock), IMHO. Moreover, the maximum speed affects the motor wear to a lesser extent. You can go uphill at 5 km/h in Boost for a long time and load the motor above or near its limit.

yes that's true 5 km/h Boost is more stress for the DU then anything else

maybe they mean this errors...? and i can't imagine what means 75,4 km/h ... downhill?!
1624458764465.png

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
yes that's true 5 km/h Boost is more stress for the DU then anything else

maybe they mean this errors...? and i can't imagine what means 75,4 km/h ... downhill?!

I believe the downhill measurement is not while peddling but the maximum ever speed.
The burden of proof lies with Shimano so they should need to be more clear on the evidence of how its not in warranty. Pictures of the damaged gearbox, how its been over the speed limit.

I'd be interested to know if you have any way of reading that error data @vadll ?

Linkman

Jul 14, 2020
Hungary
Loss of warranty without tuning:
my buddy’s a couple of months old e7000 engine broke down, he took it to the local Shimano dealer service to have it replaced under warranty.

The service diagnostic software wrote in the report "Warning - unauthorized tuning detected - drive unit output feature" and below it "Regulation change history" (in which all values are actually factory and regular) therefore the dealer denied the engine warranty, not replaced the faulty engine.

It was never tuned, it only read the data once with the "basic" ST-Unlocker.

Is this something bug in Shimano's diagnostic software, or why did it write it out?
The E7000 engine can't store "Regulation change history" data yet, only the EP8 can do that, right?

Only the amount of assistance was adjusted, but also with the etube application.

Here is a picture of the diagnostic report and a screenshot of the data read by the ST-Unlocker:

20210811_170702.jpg

20210811_170610.jpg

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
The service diagnostic software wrote in the report "Warning - unauthorized tuning detected - drive unit output feature" and below it "Regulation change history" (in which all values are actually factory and regular) therefore the dealer denied the engine warranty, not replaced the faulty engine.

It was never tuned, it only read the data once with the "basic" ST-Unlocker.

Is this something bug in Shimano's diagnostic software, or why did it write it out?
The E7000 engine can't store "Regulation change history" data yet, only the EP8 can do that, right?

Only the amount of assistance was adjusted, but also with the etube application.

"Unauthorized tuning detected" can simply mean that something non-Shimano (like the ST-Unlocker app) was connected to the motor. That's all it takes - it doesn't specifically mean you have to change parameters.

And regarding "storing change history" it has nothing to do with the E7000 or EP8 hardware... it's in the firmware. Shimano probably added a simple check in the 4.7.2 firmware that basically says, "if a program other than E-Tube connects to the motor, flag it as "unauthorized tuning".

That said - there were ample warnings in ST-Unlocker / ST-Unlocker manual that this could/might happen. Unfortunately for your buddy, it happened... and the responsibility and ramifications of using ST-Unlocker fall 100% on them, not ST-Unlocker.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
And regarding "storing change history" it has nothing to do with the E7000 or EP8 hardware... it's in the firmware. Shimano probably added a simple check in the 4.7.2 firmware that basically says, "if a program other than E-Tube connects to the motor, flag it as "unauthorized tuning".
That alone should not be enough to waive warranty. If they haven't been modified and are still standard then they should be covered by warranty. What software or tools or whatever we use is irrelevant, unless those things can be shown to damage the motor or alter it illegally.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Loss of warranty without tuning:
It's a very strange story. I don't think the display/motor can understand that a non-original App is connected to it. Put a flag in memory after such connection, also a strange practice, because the Bluetooth protocol often have errors in the data transfer. I have checked all the commands that Etube sends into STEPS system and didn't find any unknown/suspicious.

The bike may have been equipped with external units to cheat the speed (Speedbox and etc). This can be recognized by the firmware and in this case the corresponding error will appear, which was read during diagnostics.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Yes, "Regulation log" was introduced for EP8. It's useless for E7000 because most E7000 motors was released/installed way before that "regulation log" was introduced

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
That alone should not be enough to waive warranty. If they haven't been modified and are still standard then they should be covered by warranty. What software or tools or whatever we use is irrelevant, unless those things can be shown to damage the motor or alter it illegally.

Well it did for that guy above... so it is what it is.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles