STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
I'm surprised to see these apps in the stores. They will likely be removed in the near future.
And why? There are tons of junk apps on stores that to work they require explicit consent from the user to access a flood of personal information that resides on the phone in order to collect an infinite amount of data and then sell it to third parties and no one has ever removed it.

You’d happily put an app by a Russian developer that sits behind an anonymous looking gmail account on your Android phone? Ok.
Shimano Steps Unlocker asks only to have access to the position based on the network and to the bluetooth settings and pairing, therefore it does not have the possibility to access the network and transmit data because without authorization Android does not allow the functionalities, so what are the risk?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Shimano Steps Unlocker asks only to have access to the position based on the network and to the bluetooth settings and pairing, therefore it does not have the possibility to access the network and transmit data because without authorization Android does not allow the functionalities, so what are the risk?

Please see my subsequent comment ?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Hmm I can't connect. It seems to miss a PIN but before I get to type it, the app seems to crash.
I don't even know what the pic is supposed to be. Tried with 0000 and 1234

Nvm, found out I had somehow changed the pin for some reason (??)

Last edited:

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
Hmm I can't connect. It seems to miss a PIN but before I get to type it, the app seems to crash.

I believe the default pin is 000000

6 zeroes

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It's very strange, because PIN is 6 digit number, and you can't enter 0000 or 1234 into App,
Try to connect your bike using E-tube project first and see if you can do this.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
It's very strange, because PIN is 6 digit number, and you can't enter 0000 or 1234 into App,
Try to connect your bike using E-tube project first and see if you can do this.
Pin is 000000

My bad, sorry. I don't know how I managed to do it but somehow I have changed the PIN and that was the reason. I sent a license request btw. I already have a "tuning" thing on it, but I much prefer just to run with original everything and have the locale set to US.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
What happens if you set the locale to US and then update to latest firmware? Back to EU or keep the US?

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Reduced eco assistance to 45%, changed region to US and set the wheel circumference to what it actually should be, rode the bike yesterday and I'm really pleased with the changes, assistance in eco is now pretty much where I wanted it (might reduce it a little more) and assistance cuts out at just over 20mph (no more of that annoying cutting in and out when you are at a nice cruising speed)
Imho the app and license are the best £30 I have spent on the bike

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi VadII,
today I bought the license, but I can’t downgrade the firmware from version 4.7 to 4.3.2... with both android and window and pce-1
your instructions are very clear and I followed them to the letter, but when I connect E-tube nothing happens and the firmware does not update...
I’m not very smart with computer and I know that, but your instructions are simple and easy to understand and I don’t understand where I’m wrong...

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
the path I follow with android is
download the files . dat that you put on your site, then I connect the smarthphone to the pc and open the folder Android / data / com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone / files and script files. dat then I close internet and wifi on the phone and connect E-tube only with bluetooth but not give me firmware update... where am I wrong?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
the path I follow with android is
download the files . dat that you put on your site, then I connect the smarthphone to the pc and open the folder Android / data / com.shimano.etubeprojectmobile.droid.phone / files and script files. dat then I close internet and wifi on the phone and connect E-tube only with bluetooth but not give me firmware update... where am I wrong?
May be there. I didn't say about files and script. Correct folder is FW. You should put 4 .dat files into it

Bravestarr

Apr 26, 2019
Fife, Scotland
Hi Peaky,
If you just want to change the engine modes/values and change to the US 20mph limit then you don't have to do any of that stuff. Don't get put off. It was all of 2 minutes work on a phone for me and no PC necessary.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
As an old guy I'm not particularly IT literate but think "how hard can it be, I'll have a go".
Then I read posts like the preceding few and think "forget it". :cry:
The app really couldn't be simpler, if you only want to change the settings for the different power modes you don't even need a licence, with one there are a lot of other things you can change but it is really easy to go back to Shimano's default settings

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The app really couldn't be simpler, if you only want to change the settings for the different power modes you don't even need a licence, with one there are a lot of other things you can change but it is really easy to go back to Shimano's default settings

Thanks StuE, all i'm after is the US speed limit just so I don't have to kill myself trying to keep up with my pedalling mates on the flat..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles