Strava's secret price rises

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Cancelled when I saw the UK increases and guessed the rest would follow.

I don't really use it anymore so it's not really worth it, though it had only just renewed, so I have almost a year to change my mind if they do introduce anything interesting and/or I start using it more.

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
My account was purchased in Brazil, where was cheaper (needed to do some tricks, but I got it working).
But I don't think it's worth it anymore.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
it make sense !! if you ride a lot, you have to pay a lot !
if you do few rides per year, your price won't increase :ROFLMAO:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I just canceled my yearly subscription. If I get the new iPhone 14 I can still use Find My Friends and the gps/satellite location, heart rate blah blah …

The pixel rate on the new iPhone will be better too so prepare for zooming my stem😉.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Cancelled when I saw the UK increases and guessed the rest would follow.

I don't really use it anymore so it's not really worth it, though it had only just renewed, so I have almost a year to change my mind if they do introduce anything interesting and/or I start using it more.
Kudos me you bastard.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Haha! (y)

HaNoBS5g.png

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Yeah, nah.
I'm not much into watching videos intended to convince me that things are terrible.
If I need to get angry, just type it out and tell me. This is a forum, not Tik-Tok. Use your words.

I’m so sick of ten minute videos packed with 30 seconds of info, if that.

I use the free strava. I have little interest in the extras, and I also randomly find that its data is off, so it’s not a true measure of anything.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
It costs like £$20,00 per year over here and is worth every kudo ;) who else would tell me I’m within the 9% more active last year?!?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
yea thats great and everything but thats only people that
a) are using strava
b) care
That's me ! I care !

Actually, I think the best thing about Strava is when someone's smart watch automatically detects an activity then uploads it to Strava.

It's always good to know that some of your mates are still getting laid.

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
That's me ! I care !

Actually, I think the best thing about Strava is when someone's smart watch automatically detects an activity then uploads it to Strava.

It's always good to know that some of your mates are still getting laid.
now I feel guilty, my "activity" was 8 seconds, Zimmer says don't overdo it, I said, I was only checking the time in the middle on the night, I told her, and she says that's not fair usually your good for 10 seconds!

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I remember when strava used to be free, I bet they sell all your data as well.
They basically get the entire globe GPS mapped for free as well which is no doubt worth monies even if your personal data might not be.

Be nice if google got in on the action and become a competitor

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I remember when strava used to be free, I bet they sell all your data as well.
They basically get the entire globe GPS mapped for free as well which is no doubt worth monies even if your personal data might not be.

Be nice if google got in on the action and become a competitor

The last I read, the premium price rises and reduction of features in the free tier are a attempt to become profitable, without selling users data.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The last I read, the premium price rises and reduction of features in the free tier are a attempt to become profitable, without selling users data.
I'd never pay for Strava if you have a Garmin you might as well just use garmins own website IMO.
if you want local routes then Komoot stomps Strava.
Strava I liked a lot before all the sections started getting removed for being "too dangerous" or whatever, and now the section times that are left are usually filled with times that must have been set on a motorbike or car.

like people going 40mph up hill on a bicycle? really? 36mph on flat gravel sections? hard to believe when it's 10mph faster than most the other times in the leaderboard etc
I guess for MTB trails section times don't matter though, when I was big into strava I was using a roadbike

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've been paying $59.99 a year and have thought the price was excessive. Now they want to charge me $79.99 a year. I don't think I'm going to pay it. They seem to be rolling out a bunch of new "features." I don't want their new features, and I don't want to receive emails telling me of all their new features.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Update:
After my last post in May, I cancelled my Strava. I also wrote them a letter explaining that their regular price was too high, and it was a line in the sand. I wasn't going to pay a 33% increase. They replied with "Blah, blah, blah. Blah, blah, blah." Since my subscription doesn't expire until next month, they keep sending me emails about what a great value they are. Today I clicked their plea for my renewal. Guess what? The renewal fee is the same as I was paying. The new inflated price is now off the table. Maybe enough subscribers told them what they could kiss, and Strava re-evaluated their marketing scheme.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles