Strava "EMTB Forums Club"

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
And your challenge this week, @Zimmerframe , should you wish to accept the mission, is to beat this week's super climber!

1581498879905.png

(Snowboard and ski lift will be acceptable :ROFLMAO: - no doubt Specialized have one on the drawing board in lightweight, low battery powered form :ROFLMAO:)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
And your challenge this week, @Zimmerframe , should you wish to accept the mission, is to beat this week's super climber!

View attachment 25910

(Snowboard and ski lift will be acceptable :ROFLMAO: - no doubt Specialized have one on the drawing board in lightweight, low battery powered form :ROFLMAO:)

Excellent .. I just saw that in Strava and Spam'd poor Ian.

The rain/hail/wind has finally stopped from the weekend ... with storm "Denis" due in .. so havent' even bothered going out and trail clearing .. (ok, I did one with the dog first thing this morning - if you're going to walk, you might as well do something useful..).

Looks like the challenge is going to fall to the southern Europeans for this week ! I think he should leave it as a decent challenge ..

All the new SL riders should go for it .. @Rob Hancill beats ski lift on new SL !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just trying to work out if it's :

A: Stupid
B: Fair
C: Possible

To take the Kenevo out with the power off and run as a "Ride" on strava .. if I can beat the Tour De France riders KOM on a road section near the house .... with the 80 kph tail wind ......

Tried to give this a go yesterday. Sadly the wind wasn''t fully behind (today would be perfect). Came in at about 45 degrees and my body isn't fat enough to form a perfect sail ... :)

1.8km's straight tarmac with 36m increase in height (but goes up and down).

Tour de France KOM : 2:40 . Average Speed 41.2 Top speed 60.8kmh
Zimmer Wind Assist : 2:58 . Average Speed 37.0 Top Speed 49.0 kmh

Conclusion. A muppet on a (powered off) electric mountain bike with 50kph+ wind assist is still slower than a Tour de France rider.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You might only be second .... it's a bit weird on how it totals from hour to hour/day to day (it's supposed to be every six hours) but seems to up and downgrade people at random ..

I think Angelo Pasotti with ~252 might have you ???

I was a bit surprised you didn't go for a final push with a night ride last night .. :) What the hell were you thinking ? or drinking :)

I'm expecting the top three climbs to be over 4000m this week .. everyones been slacking since they bought Levo SL's and now only ride on the flat, it's time the big boys start showing those lightweights what an adults motor can do !

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
You might only be second .... it's a bit weird on how it totals from hour to hour/day to day (it's supposed to be every six hours) but seems to up and downgrade people at random ..

I think Angelo Pasotti with ~252 might have you ???

I was a bit surprised you didn't go for a final push with a night ride last night .. :) What the hell were you thinking ? or drinking :)

I'm expecting the top three climbs to be over 4000m this week .. everyones been slacking since they bought Levo SL's and now only ride on the flat, it's time the big boys start showing those lightweights what an adults motor can do !

Angelo absolutely blasted my distance. He's showing 359km for last week. But none of it on an eBike. Is it possible that the "system" checks? No doubt I'll get demoted to 115th again before the day is out. :ROFLMAO:

We've had a weather advantage down here for the past week. It's been gorgeous with temperatures in the low twenties and very light winds. I accidently blew away a bunch of KOMs during the week (that'll cost me a beer and a lot of grovelling on Tuesday night's run) because the weather conditions were just so good.

Wednesday the Levante starts up again and we'll be having 50km/hr winds with gusts in the eighties. Hard enough to stay on the bike, let alone stand the sand blasting.

No night riding on a Sunday night: the woods are full of weekenders barbequing - amongst other things. My blood pressure just can't stand the sights there are to see. :eek:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Angelo absolutely blasted my distance. He's showing 359km for last week. But none of it on an eBike. Is it possible that the "system" checks? No doubt I'll get demoted to 115th again before the day is out. :ROFLMAO:

We've had a weather advantage down here for the past week. It's been gorgeous with temperatures in the low twenties and very light winds. I accidently blew away a bunch of KOMs during the week (that'll cost me a beer and a lot of grovelling on Tuesday night's run) because the weather conditions were just so good.

Wednesday the Levante starts up again and we'll be having 50km/hr winds with gusts in the eighties. Hard enough to stay on the bike, let alone stand the sand blasting.

No night riding on a Sunday night: the woods are full of weekenders barbequing - amongst other things. My blood pressure just can't stand the sights there are to see. :eek:

It's showing you as in the lead again ! and Angelo has conveniently evaporated ! :) Did you just buy @Doomanic an e-pizza voucher ?

Not sure if it totals for all rides (ie, anything bike) or just emtb ?? another question for @Doomanic or @Rob Hancill ... I don't really think us lazy EMTBers could complain though if we were out climbed or out distanced by people riding clockwork bikes - though I suppose if someone goes out on a road bike, that is a lot easier to clock up the miles on.

We have mixed sun and hail, but the wind has gone. Took me an hour this morning just to clear one 500m section of dh trail, so not looking forwards to what awaits me elsewhere ..

You "accidentally" blew through some KOM's ? ?? ACCIDENTALLY ?? I think the only way I ever get KOM's ... is pause .. Relax, focus, Relax more, visualise .. then virtual body swap .. ie .. you say .. you're not you, you're not a muppet, you look ahead, you glide, .. you're Sam Hill/Bruni/Pierron. Then 9/10 you wipe out, because you are you and not Sam Hill/Bruni/Pierron and there's no way mortal's can ride that section that fast.. 1/10 .. you get lucky ! :)

Saying you "accidentally" got a KOM, would be like someone saying they accidentally got laid when they walked naked into a brothel with $1000.

weekenders barbequing - amongst other things

Free ride-by chicken legs ? When the owners are "distracted". Is there a name for that ? I know there's "dogging" . But is there a name for it when people are BBQing and Horizontal jogging ? Like "Kebbabing" or something ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks like someone's trying to line themselves up for the second week running of the golden Pinocchio award ! :) (y)

Screenshot 2020-02-23 at 10.41.26.png

Anyway .. a Strava question.

When comparing rides, bikes and ranges .. due to a myriad of factors, distances achieved on a charge don't always seem to make sense.

Like yesterday I did less than 40k, climbed 1350m and my 500w battery had 5% left. Assistance was configured to the equivalent of 3 snails working their way round the back tyre.

The Graham Pinocchio goes out in the wind and churns out 87k and 1000m climb on a ride.

I looked a while ago and wondered if you could use strava's "calories" to give you a comparison variable between rides, which might give you an idea of how much energy was required. But this doesn't seem to make sense as I used 2700 calories (as calculated by strava) and GP used 2100.

That would give the impression your ride was easier going in some way as far as overall energy usage, but then if you look at the Energy output fields, I used 2500 kj (guessed by Strava) and GP used 3500kj ..

So now we think you're ride must have been harder, as you'd expect for 87k and 1000m , But does Strava think you're on a 5kg bike and the rider weighs 10kg's ??

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That would give the impression your ride was easier going in some way as far as overall energy usage, but then if you look at the Energy output fields, I used 2500 kj (guessed by Strava) and GP used 3500kj ..

So now we think you're ride must have been harder, as you'd expect for 87k and 1000m , But does Strava think you're on a 5kg bike and the rider weighs 10kg's ??

I think that the ground conditions are probably THE major factor. I get about 40km out of a 500Ah battery in the dune sand - less sometimes. Yesterday's ride was mostly "hard stuff" - rocks, gravel and soft sand underlain by hardpack. There was only about 20m of mud in the whole ride - I got off and carried the bike through those because I know it's going to take me a half hour to poke the clay back out again.

Longer reply follows - out of town until tomorrow night (without a bike! :eek:)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
out of town until tomorrow night (without a bike! :eek:)
So If I pop out now and squeeze in a quick 40k .. re-charge .. pop out again for another 40k tonight ... I can WIN ! whaaa whaaaaa (evil villain laugh ....) ..

There was only about 20m of mud in the whole ride
Can only picture Zwift or similar .... does not compute .... Is that a typo .. there's was a section of 20m where there wasn't mud ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Continuing his none competitive streak, @GrahamPaul squeezes in with the no.1 spot on distance for the week. A ride of 86.7km also gives him no.1 for longest ride. (Interested to see his bosch range post when that arrives ..)

Sadly, he failed miserable to take the hat trick and The Beast makes everyone else look like they're scared of heights. Go Beast ! Go !

Very low climbing results this week. Mainly with so many people testing Levo SL's .. a great bike down hill, but everyone's too lazy to ride it uphill :eek:;):LOL:

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 09.31.43.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Spanish based riders taking advantage of the better weather again this week with JT kicking ass on overall distance and Alva R.Paez throwing in over 5000m climbing for the week on a bosch motored cannondale.

Wet weather means us Spesh riders all have our bikes in their hermetically sealed storage cases so they don't instantly stop working .;) OK, we're all just being lazy.

Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 09.50.12.png

Karl Price threw in a 90k 1000m "lunch ride" round Salters Hill, but then put up photoshopped images showing it was sunny ?!?? ... the jury's still out on this one ..

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
"Hate Climbs" with a whopping 7000m last week ..

Covid has knocked the Italian and Spanish competition on the head though.

With nothing other than rumour about when we'll even be allowed out in the street, let alone on our bikes again.

In theory, you can ride a bike to work following government clarification given last week. However, one of the lad's in the village tried that on Friday morning only to be stopped by the Guardia Civil at a roadblock at the bottom of the hill out of the village. Even though he had all the documentation to show that he is an essential worker and on his way to work (he's a doctor in our local hospital), he was sent home again and told to use his car.

He also showed them the decree which said that riding a bike was permitted as he was on his way to work, to which it was explained to him that they were happy to turn him back this time, given that he was a health worker, but next time he'd get a fine. He's not best pleased. :mad:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
He also showed them the decree which said that riding a bike was permitted as he was on his way to work, to which it was explained to him that they were happy to turn him back this time, given that he was a health worker, but next time he'd get a fine. He's not best pleased. :mad:

He's just put up a message to say that he'll be riding to work by bike again tomorrow morning. He's obviously busting for a fight!

(I'll let you know if there's a opening for a new doctor in our local hospital if it all goes terribly wrong).

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Appreciate many of you know about this already (at least 350 of you have joined) but for those newbies like me who didn't, go onto Strava and join the "eMTB Forums" club and you get to see some interesting routes other members ride and also see whose cranking out those miles :p

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Appreciate many of you know about this already (at least 350 of you have joined) but for those newbies like me who didn't, go onto Strava and join the "eMTB Forums" club and you get to see some interesting routes other members ride and also see whose cranking out those miles :p

Well... you would be able to see the interesting routes... except the board leaders have their settings set to private so you can't see that they are doing their 1000km a week in the car :ROFLMAO:

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
"Don't know what KOM is", life is probably easier that way Bambamoda :p.

2 Tips:

One quick tip for the newbies adding joining this club on Strava. As others have commented before, you may not show up on the leader board for this this week although strangely you appear in last weeks. The fix is to keep hitting refresh in your browser. There are questions about this online and they tell you to check your privicy settings and refresh your rides, but assuming you have shared your ride with everyone, then just refresh the browser a couple of times and you should appear.

Second Tip, with groups over 200 members like this one, in can take up to 6 hours to fully refresh your stats. I rode yesterday afternoon and last night it wasn't registering on the club leaderboard but by this morning it was after a browser refresh.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Don’t know what a KOM is
Kluts of the Mountain. Strava uses a clever algorithm to work out how many times you fall off on a segment and gives you the award. The times shown are the average times in seconds spent on the floor, subtracted from the average time it takes to ride down the segment. So someone with a low time, spent a lot of time on the floor.

Russyb

Nov 27, 2020
Northfleet
This is probably a question for @Doomanic , but someone else might know ..

I recently noticed the Strava EMTB Forums Club and joined in. It's interesting to see all the great places people ride all over the world.. Even though you haven't got a clue who they are :) (We want more pictures people !)

I do have a question on how the "Leaderboards" work though .. Using me as an example as it's easiest for me to see my data .. It shows my last weeks climbs as 2429M and this weeks as Zero .. Presumably, this week started this morning.

However, last week, strava shows me as 4000m Climbs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about where I am in the leaderboard. The only leaderboard which really counts, is how many times you crash :eek::ROFLMAO: - Just curious how it works .. Take Claudio Paselli for instance. Shows as 2606m for last week and 0 for this week, but Strava has him at 4177 for the week - some truly magnificent rides there Claudio :

Claudio Kicks ass and makes everyone else look like a lazy pussy. :)

69.7 km Mountain Bike Ride on January 25, 2020 by Claudio P. on Strava

EDIT : Just looked again .. go figure .. the numbers have updated for last week and jumped up .. maybe it's just really slow at adding up ?? :)
I didnt even know there was a Strava EMTB Forums Club , point me in the right direction ???

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles