Strange W013 (and intermittent E010) problems after dissasembly

SvenHelgason

Jun 6, 2019
Luxembourg
Hi guys,
Intro: 2017 Focus Jam2 with 8500km had bearing problems, replaced them but housing was already damaged because of the big bearings on the outer right side were eating it. No errors.

Bought a second hand motor (mistake) with 3000km. Worked well for about 300km and then developed the duck sound. Took it apart, lubed it up and it got quite for about some 100km. Yesterday I had enough of the duck and decided to open it to install the two gear banks from my old motor as they had new bearings.

Managed to finish it quite quickly, sealed up and installed with confidence only to see the W013! Which I had never had before.
I then began with installing the original gears, but error was still there!
Next up I swapped parts one by one and tested but always W013,
Cleaned finally all the original parts put back together and then got an E010....! wtf
I then started playing around with cables, new speed sensor cable and cable to the monitor but nothing. I suspected that the bike was having the issues and not the E8000:
To eliminate that possibility I fully re-assembled my old Motor with all of the original parts from it, plugged in and NO ERRORS.. ok at least the frame/battery/speed sensor/monitor are ok.
As the housing of my old motor is damaged beyond repair I then decided to completely strip both housings and move all circuitry from my old motor to the new housing. I stripped it down, all exept the motor itself, rebuilt and plugged in.. W013..

Suffice to say I AM TOTALLY LOST.
The only think I can think of now is somehow the actual drive unit (motor) got damaged when I started? It must have some circuit boards that are not visible.
Tonight I will swap the drive units also between the housings.

ANY IDEAS?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
W013, is not an error but a Warning, it normally happens when the Torque sensor can not initialize at Power On because pedals are already rotating. But if there is an E010 after it, then bike powers off and does not provide assistance.

If you changed bearings, it could be that they are not installed correctly and have some extra friction and torque sensor can not initialize. If you rotate pedals backwards, do they rotate freely and smoothly?

BTW, just for my information, when bearings where damaged, if you rotated the cranks backward, was the rotation smooth or you could notice that something was wrong.

SvenHelgason

Jun 6, 2019
Luxembourg
W013, is not an error but a Warning, it normally happens when the Torque sensor can not initialize at Power On because pedals are already rotating. But if there is an E010 after it, then bike powers off and does not provide assistance.

If you changed bearings, it could be that they are not installed correctly and have some extra friction and torque sensor can not initialize. If you rotate pedals backwards, do they rotate freely and smoothly?

BTW, just for my information, when bearings where damaged, if you rotated the cranks backward, was the rotation smooth or you could notice that something was wrong.
Motor turned very smoothly, both with the bearing installed in my old motor and the "new" one.
Even stranger now after moving everything from my old motor into the new motor housing (also moved the inside of the motor) I still get the W013 which I didnt get previously on my old motor and these are all the same internals.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
The only change in your motor are the new bearings and the big ones are in the crankshaft, and the warning is related to the torque sensor in the crankshaft , that's why they are suspect number 1.

SvenHelgason

Jun 6, 2019
Luxembourg
Further update: The right side of the housing (where the big bearings go) is completely shattered on my old motor, and that is the reason why I am trying to make one motor out of the two I have.
Just strange that the internals of my old motor (apart from the big bearing) are fine and no error, however once moved to the other housing I get W013
Keep in mind that both motors were error free before I decided to swap the bearings.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I'd check:
The assembly of gears and bearings, so that they are assembled correctly.
New bearings rotation, fitting and assembly and also the old ones, like the cage bearings
Sprague clutches inside large gears are working correctly
Grease gears with Molykote PG75

Good Luck!!! and keep us posted.

Last edited:

SvenHelgason

Jun 6, 2019
Luxembourg
I'd check:
The assembly of gears and bearings, so that they are assembled correctly.
New bearings rotation, fitting and assembly and also the old ones, like the cage bearings
Sprague clutches inside large gears are working correctly
Grease gears with Molykote PG75

Good Luck!!! and keep us posted.
But dont you think its strange that before I started trying to kill the duck in the "new motor" with using the two gear packs with the new bearings from the old motor, both motors were completely error free, even my old motor with the big ball bearing completely blown up and the housing around them actually broken.
And now with everything from the old motor in the new motor housing, even the circuit board part of the actual motor, I still get the error

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Yes it is extrange, but it looks that something in the assembly is not correcr.

Also, check that you installed the shim washers and plugged all cables and that the cables, mainly the flex from the Torque sensor, is not pinched or damaged.

InkedWaveWasherPlacement_LI.jpg

SvenHelgason

Jun 6, 2019
Luxembourg
Everything is in place, lubed upp like there is no tomorrow.. turns nicely. Yesterday before opening again I got W013, now I only get E010.
I AM OFFICIALLY GIVING UP :/ Pulled the trigger on a brand new motor, should be here Monday. I need my bike to work flawlessly as it is my commuter to work.
I will be putting the scrap up for sale, various parts from two motors. Either selling individual stuff or the whole lot as a bundle. PM me for info

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles