E010 followed by W013

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
E8000 motor is now 6 months old and done approximately 1200 miles and recently I have experienced a series of E010 errors and finally to a complete shutdown and constant W013 warning. First time was about 2 weeks ago, after riding all morning with Kernow, without any faults as i restarted after fitting a fresh battery instant E010, turn off and restart all fine, later that afternoon while just standing on the pedals, warning sound and looked down E010. Stop and start and OK for the rest of the afternoon.

Next time out during the Tour de Moor charity ride bike ran perfectly all morning and then after a stop for coffee, restarted and within half a mile and again just stood on the pedals E010. Stop start 100 yds E010 and again another two times. Turned off for ten minutes to help with a puncture and restarted to W013 this time no amount of restarting and would help every time W013, tried battery out and refit but nothing, so had to pedal the last few miles with no motor.:oops: Actually not that bad at all.

Got it home, restart and still W013, connected to laptop with SM-PCEI and ran fault diagnostics and everything came up fine, disconnect PC and W013. At this stage I was pretty convinced it was a torque sensor failure as others have reported. Not sure why but I decided to clip in another battery and hey presto all clear :D Refitted original battery and still OK :rolleyes:

Short test ride and E010 :mad: restart and all good again rode up and down the lane for a few miles and perfect. :unsure:

My theory, the contact terminals have been covered with white lithium grease from day one and this has done a pretty good job of stopping oxidation of the contacts but over time the grease has worn thin and generally got dirty, causing my intermittent problems.

Remedy, thoroughly cleaned all the contacts on the batteries and bike with a glass fibre pen, contact cleaner and rinsed off with Isopropyl alcohol. Regreased all the connection and just completed a 30 mile ride without any faults, so far so good.

Given that others I know have reported problems after a certain amount of time I think it safe to assume that these connections are fairly finicky and it may well be worth scheduling regular periodic attention to avoid this problem.

Hope this helps if you find yourself stuck with a W013.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks for sharing.
I get a feeling some bikes might be worse for this than others. Same with the case letting moisture/dust/dirt in under the outer plastic plug casing (that's held on by the 3 screws)

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Someone warned me about the same problem for my haibike w yamaha and encouraged me to apply dielectric grease on the battery contacts as soon as possible.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
I had my motor replaced for this problem. Firstly E010 happened randomly, then suddenly this error happened at the power on / pedal press. I tried every test with PCE, Etube reported all fine. But I suppose that was a torque sensor problem. Shimano sent a new motor without giving me any information of what the problem could be.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I had my motor replaced for this problem. Firstly E010 happened randomly, then suddenly this error happened at the power on / pedal press. I tried every test with PCE, Etube reported all fine. But I suppose that was a torque sensor problem. Shimano sent a new motor without giving me any information of what the problem could be.
Me too....

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hi @eagerly

Thanks for your reply to my post, really appreciated.

My problem, I am hoping at least, :unsure: appears to be dirty connections and the bike is currently running like a dream, :whistle: done another 10 since my original post and done everything I can to upset it but it seems good.

For a while there I was pretty resigned to the Idea that it was terminal and that it would require a new motor, It would be very useful to know the background to your problems, Age, Mileage etc and the process of how you got it sorted, you said that Shimano sent you a motor?

Sounds great not having to involve a dealer in the process if at all possible.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
Hi @eagerly

Thanks for your reply to my post, really appreciated.

My problem, I am hoping at least, :unsure: appears to be dirty connections and the bike is currently running like a dream, :whistle: done another 10 since my original post and done everything I can to upset it but it seems good.

For a while there I was pretty resigned to the Idea that it was terminal and that it would require a new motor, It would be very useful to know the background to your problems, Age, Mileage etc and the process of how you got it sorted, you said that Shimano sent you a motor?

Sounds great not having to involve a dealer in the process if at all possible.

Apologies for my poor English. Well the background is pretty simple. This summer during my Sellaronda tour in the Dolomites, in the middle of a stony and fast descent, this error appeared the first time. At the end of the descent I rebooted and everything was fine. No other problem at all this day. Once got home, I searched the web for this issue and found that it coul be related to connections. I cleaned them all, and I found out that the plastic upper holder of the battey-to understand where the key is inserted-was a bit loose. So I thought to have found the problem, vibration of the battery. I therefore had this holder thightened as it should be and was sure to have solved it. After one month, during a stupid asphalt descent, the error happened again two times. I restarted and all fine again. Of course I was a bit worried cause I hadnt solved my problem in the first place...but ignored it. The following week, before going for a ride, bike still in garage, the error appeared at the power on and didnt disappear. There was no solution, it was there and there it stayed, I tried everything with PCE...I then contaceted the dealer, who couldnt do more than me. He talked to Shimano who asked to send the motor, after a week it was replaced. But I still don't know why, I only guess the torque sensor cause I knew this is the most common problem of the E8000...a mechanical problem. My bike had 1700 km. Hope to be helpful

Cvitanic

Mar 1, 2020
Punta Arenas
Hi all ! Did anyone get a definitive fix to this issue?
Just came back from the trails after having this issue happen for the second time in two days. I'm getting error E010 together with W013. I rode yesterday and had the issue for the first time as I was at the top of the trail while waiting for some buddies (if I recall correctly, the bike auto turned off). Turned the system off and on a few times, also removed the battery and after a few tries it started normally (about 20 minutes went by on this process).

Today after riding a few runs, had this issue again while riding uphill in boost mode. Same thing. Restarted, battery off and on until the error went away. Later, did another run and at the bottom got the error again and couldn't get it to work, no matter how many times I restarted and removed the battery.

Hope this is a simple issue since there's no Shimano service where I live, and I'd eventually have to ship the bike 2000 miles to the closest dealer ?.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
My bike sometimes cuts out for a few seconds while peddling if under high load or not. Sometimes I get an error message, sometimes not.
Over the last 4 months we have tried:
Cleaning various terminals plus dielectric grease multiple times.
Replaced all wiring one at a time to try to isolate the fault
Including battery lead to motor.
Replaced speed sensor and magnet.
New battery.
New Motor.
My wife has E8000 also so swapped display.
Tightened battery holder etc.
I installed E7000 shifters a while back so reinstalled the original E8000 ones.
After all this and the f###g thing still cuts out.??
I’ve ridden my wife’s bike several times over the same tracks and it’ perfect.
The only thing I haven’t tried is replacing the di2 unit. Don’t see how that could cause the problems as it’s changing gears without any problems but who knows, Another $550.
Might be time for a Bosch machine.

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
My bike sometimes cuts out for a few seconds while peddling if under high load or not. Sometimes I get an error message, sometimes not.
Over the last 4 months we have tried:
Cleaning various terminals plus dielectric grease multiple times.
Replaced all wiring one at a time to try to isolate the fault
Including battery lead to motor.
Replaced speed sensor and magnet.
New battery.
New Motor.
My wife has E8000 also so swapped display.
Tightened battery holder etc.
I installed E7000 shifters a while back so reinstalled the original E8000 ones.
After all this and the f###g thing still cuts out.??
I’ve ridden my wife’s bike several times over the same tracks and it’ perfect.
The only thing I haven’t tried is replacing the di2 unit. Don’t see how that could cause the problems as it’s changing gears without any problems but who knows, Another $550.
Might be time for a Bosch machine.

Torque sensor is starting to fail, same happened to me a few months back, new motor is the only fix. Seems to be a common issue with shimano. I would not buy another Shimano for a few years this seems far to common.

Cvitanic

Mar 1, 2020
Punta Arenas
Quick update, in sending the frame to Commencal for warranty replacement. Hope they've fixed this issue in the new motor they'll put in.

Sounds like Shimano should recall these motors.

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
I also get the E010 code. Motor is being returned to Maddison/uk shimano importer.
Bike has covered around 300miles

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
I have had the same problem It's very common (there is even a Facebook group for it) you would think a company the size of Shimano would have fixed this issue by now, the thing is that most other manufacturers motors have problems too, the Yamaha motor seems to have the fewest issues and would be what I would go for if I was going to change my bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles