Strange free play before chainring starts spinning Bosch Drive Unit Performance GEN3 (65Nm)

sergsmal

Dec 7, 2020
Tromso, Norway
Hi guys! :) I have strange free play before chainring starts spinning Bosch Drive Unit Performance GEN3 (65Nm), HD video: Is it normal or do I have to contact a dealer to check it? While cycling no strange noise and the engine works perfectly well. Have you this same free play? Cube Acid Hybrid 500 :( Thanks.

sergsmal

Dec 7, 2020
Tromso, Norway
Тhanks guys :) today i got a reply from an authorized bosch dealer in norway:

"
Hello Sergei

Thank you for contacting Bosch eBike Systems.

This should be nothing to worry about.

Some free play is entirely normal, and your bike seems to be within acceptable limits.

We do recommend having the bike in for service at least once a year, for a check-up, but this does not look like anything to worry about.

Have a nice day ?

Med vennlig hilsen

Sindre Kire
Bosch eBike serviceteam

[email protected]

Hjelpetelefon: +472 3966531
Mandag til fredag kl. 08.00–17.00
"

sergsmal

Dec 7, 2020
Tromso, Norway
20201208_161644.jpg

Today and tomorrow I am upgrading the MT200 brakes on the deore xt and I can continue cykling along the hills of winter northern Norway. Thanks to all who responded :)

Last edited:

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
Тhanks guys :) today i got a reply from an authorized bosch dealer in norway:

"
Hello Sergei

Thank you for contacting Bosch eBike Systems.

This should be nothing to worry about.

Some free play is entirely normal, and your bike seems to be within acceptable limits.

We do recommend having the bike in for service at least once a year, for a check-up, but this does not look like anything to worry about.

Have a nice day ?

Med vennlig hilsen

Sindre Kire
Bosch eBike serviceteam

[email protected]

Hjelpetelefon: +472 3966531
Mandag til fredag kl. 08.00–17.00
"
I’m not convinced by the reply from your bike shop. Have you checked the crank is tightened to the required torque setting?

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
I’m not convinced by the reply from your bike shop. Have you checked the crank is tightened to the required torque setting?
I totally agree with Frankieboy there is something wrong so take it to the bike shop so there is no more damage done to the crank area.

sergsmal

Dec 7, 2020
Tromso, Norway
Crank are tightened normally, free play inside the shaft. I was in the bikeshop and looked at bicycles with Bosch 3 perfomance line generation, and indeed there is absolutely the same thing. watch the video carefully, this is a free wheeling on both sides, and it is inside the shaft (forward, backward). Bosch dealer and local store checked and said it was within acceptable values. judging by the bosch 3 motor diagram, the shaft rotating the front sprocket of the bicycle and the shaft where the connecting rods are installed, these are different parts that work through the gears that give such an effect. in general, the bike still has 2 years of warranty, so if something is repaired.

Tonycube

Apr 30, 2020
South Wales
Crank are tightened normally, free play inside the shaft. I was in the bikeshop and looked at bicycles with Bosch 3 perfomance line generation, and indeed there is absolutely the same thing. watch the video carefully, this is a free wheeling on both sides, and it is inside the shaft (forward, backward). Bosch dealer and local store checked and said it was within acceptable values. judging by the bosch 3 motor diagram, the shaft rotating the front sprocket of the bicycle and the shaft where the connecting rods are installed, these are different parts that work through the gears that give such an effect. in general, the bike still has 2 years of warranty, so if something is repaired.
ok it seems you are on the ball with it so it may be normal then for the gen 3 motor.
I hope it goes way beyond the warranty for you. All the best from Tony.

boggles

Dec 14, 2020
Scotland
I think this kind of movement is normal, as my bike was the same when I got it. 7 months later it's still there, but it hasn't got any worse or better, it's still the same, so I think its nothing to worry about.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles