Straightening rotors/discs

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I've got 220 Uber bike front rotor and it's always had a little squeak. It 'had' a tiny rub and I've tried straightening my normal way on the bike, then on the truing stand, I just can't get it right.

Anyone got any too tips on straightening before I go back to the Magura MDRP

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have a sheet of absolutely "true" plate glass. If a rotor is slightly 'out' I put it on the plate glass and can immediately see where it's even slightly 'out'. Then adjust a very small bit at a time until it lies dead flat. Wearing nitrile gloves and an immaculately clean surface on the plate glass of course. Works for me, but don't have floating rotors.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I have a sheet of absolutely "true" plate glass. If a rotor is slightly 'out' I put it on the plate glass and can immediately see where it's even slightly 'out'. Then adjust a very small bit at a time until it lies dead flat. Wearing nitrile gloves and an immaculately clean surface on the plate glass of course. Works for me.
How are you adjusting?

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Using a Rotor Truing Fork, mine is Park Tool DT-2, but there are much cheaper ones which I am sure also work OK.
Yep, great tool. The truing effort "can" be done with the rotor on the wheel being very patient and using the caliper/pads as a guide...depending on how bad the tweak is. If done off the hub, it helps to have two of those tools.

jetskier973

Nov 9, 2023
Gardner, KS.
I recently trued one my rotors with only the bare wheel on the bike.
Without the additional rotating mass of the tire and insert, it was easy to pinpoint the spots on the rotor that needed attention by gently spinning the wheel and letting it stop accurately on those spots.
After the tire was back on, the wheel/tire combo spun much more freely.
I was amazed and happy, and I couldn't believe what I thought was good enough beforehand.

Working with Magura MDR-P 220mm rotors.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I own lots of very specific tools, I've always avoided owning an adjustable spanner lol. But it might be easier to obtain quickly than a disc fork tool.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Nice tools are nice but it's also true an adjustable spanner & truing tool work in exactly the same way ;) Either will work ok. As an observation, truing discs is one of the more tedious jobs on a bike. It's a bit at a time for ever & ever until the damn thing starightens out. Pro tip, find the bent section & mark it with a sharpie, saves you bending the wrong bit & making it worse.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I've got 220 Uber bike front rotor and it's always had a little squeak. It 'had' a tiny rub and I've tried straightening my normal way on the bike, then on the truing stand, I just can't get it right.

Anyone got any too tips on straightening before I go back to the Magura MDRP
Couple of shifters I've used and been ok. Depending how bad it is or how precise you want it to be.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Well i made it have more high points, so I ordered a set of new rotors.
In the same vein, had a 20mm strip of Gorilla tape on top of the Invisiframe on the lower edge on my Rail battery and on yesterday's ride in rough-as-fuck stuff slightly lifted one end of the Gorilla tape. Thought, I'll just lift that off and put another piece of Gorilla tape on. In doing so lifted the fucking Invisiframe. 😠

So off today to a local company that hopefully has some stock to buy a small sheet and reapply it on the battery.

Got to change the chain and clean wife's transmission (on her bike that is 😉) so that's my day sorted. 😆

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles