Still having annoying creaking problems

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Hi all,
I’ve been trying to solve the case of the awful creaking. It isn’t the motor mounts, the crank or the linkage. I think it’s the frame itself. Like. The aluminum.
Check this out. What do you make of it?
Have you dropped the motor & inspected the motor-to-frame mounting plates (4), as the motor doesn't attach directly to the frame. I had a issue with this & a creak when pressure applied to crank.
If the mounting plate(s) are loose on the motor you'll soon tell as you will be able to move it by hand.

Last edited:

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
1. Loosen the stem and top cap bolts, does it stop ?
2. Loosen the stem bolts around the handlebar, does it stop ?
3. Remove the battery, does it stop ?
4. Is the front axle tightened ?

If not these, I would take it to a local bike shop and get their thoughts.

Last edited:

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
Have you dropped the motor & inspected the motor-to-frame mounting plates (4), as the motor doesn't attach directly to the frame. I had a issue with this & a creak when pressure applied to crank.
If the mounting plate(s) are loose on the motor you'll soon tell as you will be able to move it by hand.

yes the motor has been dropped, inspected, and retightened. It didn’t fix it. It isn’t just with pressure on the crank. I can stand to the side of the bike or just weight the bike and it makes this sound.

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
1. Loosen the stem and top cap bolts, does it stop ?
2. Loosen the stem bolts around the handlebar, does it stop ?
3. Remove the battery, does it stop ?
4. Is the front axle tightened ?

If not these, I would take it to a local bike shop and get their thoughts.

removing the battery does not stop it and the front axle is tightened with a torque wrench to spec. I havent tried the stem and top cap bolts. I’ll give it a shot, but it sounds like it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from there.

I’m assuming not everyone has this sound?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My horrible creak was the motor mounting plate and once tightened has never made a sound since.

sometimes the sound appears to come from a different place than the actual source.

All a bit of detective work. I’d have to remove each component one by one until I found the culprit.

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
My horrible creak was the motor mounting plate and once tightened has never made a sound since.

sometimes the sound appears to come from a different place than the actual source.

All a bit of detective work. I’d have to remove each component one by one until I found the culprit.

Did your creak also sound like mine in the video?

Also-cheers to a fellow beek!

Crossroads Rail

Apr 12, 2021
Devon
Oh lord the dreaded creek, took me many miles to find out mine was loose spokes, obviously the first time it happened it was motor mounting.
I would never have guessed as the sound was coming from the centre of the bike...and when standing on one pedal whilst moving....Only by swapping wheels with a friend did I narrow it down to wheels. Tightened a few spokes, creek gone.
Be as systematic as you can, find a donor and swap bits?

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Creeks are a nightmare. I have suggested the easier ones, and if not those a bike shop. If your happy doing more investigation crack on :)

Last edited:

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
You can get a stethoscope from an auto parts store that has a long thin tip coming out of it. Get someone to get it to creak and then start probing around to see where it is coming from, should be able to narrow it down to a basic component or area.

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
T
You can get a stethoscope from an auto parts store that has a long thin tip coming out of it. Get someone to get it to creak and then start probing around to see where it is coming from, should be able to narrow it down to a basic component or area.

This is a very interesting idea....Have you tried it? Does it really work?

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
Hi all,
I’ve been trying to solve the case of the awful creaking. It isn’t the motor mounts, the crank or the linkage. I think it’s the frame itself. Like. The aluminum.
My rail 5 creaked like that when riding along. It was the head stock, dropped it out, clean it and pack it with plenty of grease and now it’s quiet.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Hi all,
Came looking for the same issue? Just started doing it really bad. Rail 7. Seems to be coming from front end so time to dig in a bit I suppose. Does it not when pedaling or pedaling so thinking it's not motor / crank related. Several ideas listed here and will investigate further. @GrantMeThePower the video link isn't working any longer so I can't compare. Have you been able to source the problem yet?

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
Came looking for the same issue? Just started doing it really bad. Rail 7. Seems to be coming from front end so time to dig in a bit I suppose. Does it not when pedaling or pedaling so thinking it's not motor / crank related. Several ideas listed here and will investigate further. @GrantMeThePower the video link isn't working any longer so I can't compare. Have you been able to source the problem yet?

hi! I ended up taking it to my local trek shop and saying “this is crazy you gotta figure it out”. They had the bike for over a week trying to find the source of the rattle. They ended up making it loads better by doing the battery alignment procedure and adding a bit of foam…but, alas, it did not last. After a few more rides it slowly started coming back and now it’s about as bad as it used to be almost. I think there isn’t a long term fix for the noise on the 7. If someone figures it out and posts a real solution then they’ll be my hero.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
@GrantMeThePower did you happen to read the post about greasing the headset? I'm going to do this as see if that's the cause? I'd wondered about the battery as well but it really seems to be coming from the headset. Did you take the video down? Be interested in viewing if you still have it.

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
@GrantMeThePower did you happen to read the post about greasing the headset? I'm going to do this as see if that's the cause? I'd wondered about the battery as well but it really seems to be coming from the headset. Did you take the video down? Be interested in viewing if you still have it.

yes I did grease the headset but unfortunate that wasn’t my issue. Let me see if I can find the video…I did not intentionally remove it haha

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles