Stem change

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Im thinking of changing the stem. I want to experiment with my bar height.
My current stem is not adjustable.
20231008_110306.jpg

Do I also nee to change the headset for that? Or is spacers and a stem enough.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I want to try out lowering the bars and getting a bit more a reach.
want to feel how that rides.
The stem now also has a 6° angle and bars are pretty high and close to me now.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I want to try out lowering the bars and getting a bit more a reach.
want to feel how that rides.
The stem now also has a 6° angle and bars are pretty high and close to me now.
If the 6 degree stem is mounted 'upwards' perhaps you can mount the stem the other way up to lower the bars?
You could also move some spacers from below the stem to above the stem which would increase reach as well as lowering the bars.

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
If you are trying to get more reach as bike is too small you'll only be able to get so much improvement by removing spacers, changing bars and changing stem. Sometimes what you 'feel' might improve matters just doesn't.. Your stem is already pretty long. Maybe remove a few spacers and move seat back a little? Good luck with your efforts.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
That's the thing I cant experiment with the current stem as the spacers are to big to put on top, also the stem cap has an angle

Spacers are like this

xlc-as-a05-10mm-1-1-8-50mm-head-spacer.jpg

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
Borrow a different stem maybe? Or remove spacers and don't put them on top. You'll get a feel for how it would work but you'd have some steerer tube poking up until you took decision to cut it down a bit. I'd go the new stem route.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Stems are not 'adjustable'. They come in a fixed length and rise. Some can be flipped upside down to make to reverse the rise.

All of these changes that you are considering, have considerable effect on how the bike handles assuming you ride somewhat aggressively.

If the ETT (effective Top Tube = distance from seat to bars) feels too short, then removing the spacers underneath the stem will make the ETT (and reach) longer because the HTA (Head Tube Angle) is angled and going lower slides the bars forward as well as down. If you want more reach but like the current bar height, getting a high ride bar then removing all of those stem spacers will get you there. Just make sure to mount the bars where they go straight up, not angled back.

Most stock bikes have the bars too tall imo, meant to be comfortable on the parking lot test, but also meant to not have the steerer tube cut too short, limiting future options.

Lowering the actual bar height will notably improve front wheel traction. Even 5mm is very noticeable at the limit. Just a basic rule: any performance ridden bike the grips should be level with the seat at the most, and usually a bit lower than the seat.

Can you clarify exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish and we'll go from there? Is this a handling issue, a bike fit issue, etc.?

Most think bars and stems are a comfort issue but they dramatically effect handling as well and this has to be considered if you care about performance.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Stems are not 'adjustable'. They come in a fixed length and rise. Some can be flipped upside down to make to reverse the rise.

All of these changes that you are considering, have considerable effect on how the bike handles assuming you ride somewhat aggressively.

If the ETT (effective Top Tube = distance from seat to bars) feels too short, then removing the spacers underneath the stem will make the ETT (and reach) longer because the HTA (Head Tube Angle) is angled and going lower slides the bars forward as well as down. If you want more reach but like the current bar height, getting a high ride bar then removing all of those stem spacers will get you there. Just make sure to mount the bars where they go straight up, not angled back.

Most stock bikes have the bars too tall imo, meant to be comfortable on the parking lot test, but also meant to not have the steerer tube cut too short, limiting future options.

Lowering the actual bar height will notably improve front wheel traction. Even 5mm is very noticeable at the limit. Just a basic rule: any performance ridden bike the grips should be level with the seat at the most, and usually a bit lower than the seat.

Can you clarify exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish and we'll go from there? Is this a handling issue, a bike fit issue, etc.?

Most think bars and stems are a comfort issue but they dramatically effect handling as well and this has to be considered if you care about performance.
The thing is that this stem is not adjustable in height , it all doesnt fit and the stemcap has an angle that fits the stem.

my seating position on the bike is pretty straight.
My height is 177cm, I ride a size M with a reach of 420mm . But I feel like a want a bit more reach.
20231009_174236.jpg
20231009_174223.jpg

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I also too a measurement of my bar height. And that's 1.5 cm higher then my saddle height

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The only thing unusual there, is that top cap.

Loosen the stem, lift it up straight off the steerer (if your front tire is off the ground the entire front fork is going to fall out of the bottom of the headtube), place the smallest spacer you can find between the frame and the stem, then place all of the rest of the spacers on top until the steerer is about 3-4 mm below the top spacer.

Just buy a standard top cap from the local bike shop or from Amazon. They are standard. What is weird about the your current cap you have, is that it protrudes down requiring you to run extra spacers so that the cap doesn't bottom out on the steerer, before you get the steer tube tightened up. So just ditch that top cap.

I do agree that a 420mm Reach is much too short while standing for a 177cm tall rider. They probably built it oddly short because the STA is slack and they didn't want the bars to be too far away while seated. That's one of the problems with these old school geos, you can have the right reach while seated, or while standing, but not both.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I don't think I want to use the current stem as the current spacers on top of the stem will look awefull

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You should just be able to get some normal spacers to go on top of the stem - the big ones are weird on top !

1696873400301.png

Ultimately, as you're dropping the stem and moving more spacers on top (to accommodate the length of the steerer tube) you can use the existing top cap whilst you're testing.

If you're happy with things, you can bash down the star nut (which is higher than it should be) and cut the steerer down to the correct size - as you don't want excessive spacers above anyway from an injury point of view. You might still be able to use the original top cap in this situation once the star nut has descended 1cm.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
You should just be able to get some normal spacers to go on top of the stem - the big ones are weird on top !

View attachment 126407

Ultimately, as you're dropping the stem and moving more spacers on top (to accommodate the length of the steerer tube) you can use the existing top cap whilst you're testing.

If you're happy with things, you can bash down the star nut (which is higher than it should be) and cut the steerer down to the correct size - as you don't want excessive spacers above anyway from an injury point of view. You might still be able to use the original top cap in this situation once the star nut has descended 1cm.
So I found a sqlab 80x stem that I want to get.

First: I don't know if I need a new upper headset for that( I don't have the knowledge of stems headsets etc.)
20231010_163100.jpg

Seccond: the steerer tube length is 59.1 mm. How much spacers would I need and what size.
Specs of the stem:
Screenshot_20231010_163806_Opera.jpg

Also dropping the stem will increase reach. But should I get a 60 of 70mm stem instead of 50mm, or just stick with the 50.

Appreciate the help of everyone!

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
It's a difficult call. The longer stem might be better for going uphill but less great coming downhill. There is a degree of personal preference. Maybe stick to 50mm so as not to throw things too off balance.

I would get stem and try it out with various spacers before you consider cutting the steerer tube. You obviously cannot put back what you've cut off 😁.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
It's a difficult call. The longer stem might be better for going uphill but less great coming downhill. There is a degree of personal preference. Maybe stick to 50mm so as not to throw things too off balance.

I would get stem and try it out with various spacers before you consider cutting the steerer tube. You obviously cannot put back what you've cut off 😁.
I'm definitely not cutting it yet. If all goes bad I can put it back to original

Tepi

Nov 18, 2018
Finland
Asia on siinä, että tämä varsi ei ole korkeussäädettävä, se ei sovi kaikkiin ja varren kärjessä on kulma, joka sopii varteen.

istuma-asentoni pyörässä on melko suora.
Olen 177 cm pitkä, ratsastan koossa M, jonka ulottuvuus on 420 mm. Mutta minusta tuntuu, että haluan hieman enemmän ulottuvuutta.
View attachment 126396 View attachment 126397
Siirrä satulaasi taaksepäin,1cm, on paljon.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How wide are your bars?

Going wider will move your body closer to the front of the bike, but will give you more steering control and you will be better able to resists the turning forces that rocks and roots exert on your front wheel. You can counter some of the negatives by fitting a shorter stem, which as well as moving your body rearwards, it will quicken steering response.

Going narrower will move your body away from the front of the bike so that you won't feel as though you are on top of the bars. But it will reduce your steering control and rocky corners will become a bit trickier. You can counter some of the negatives by fitting a longer stem, but that may reduce steering response. The narrower option may not be a good option in terms of steering control etc, but if you are overall more comfortable on the bike, then it could be a winner.

I have a long body so I can feel that a bike does not have enough reach, wider bars can counter that for me (with the other benefits as mentioned).

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
How wide are your bars?

Going wider will move your body closer to the front of the bike, but will give you more steering control and you will be better able to resists the turning forces that rocks and roots exert on your front wheel. You can counter some of the negatives by fitting a shorter stem, which as well as moving your body rearwards, it will quicken steering response.

Going narrower will move your body away from the front of the bike so that you won't feel as though you are on top of the bars. But it will reduce your steering control and rocky corners will become a bit trickier. You can counter some of the negatives by fitting a longer stem, but that may reduce steering response. The narrower option may not be a good option in terms of steering control etc, but if you are overall more comfortable on the bike, then it could be a winner.

I have a long body so I can feel that a bike does not have enough reach, wider bars can counter that for me (with the other benefits as mentioned).
Bars are 780mm, wide enough I think

RiderOnTheStorm

@Sander23, I went the following route when I tested various stem/spacer configurations.

1) Find the stem with the length you want to try to increase current reach e.g. 60 to 80mm.

2) Calculate stack height (steerer tube height - stem height).

3) From stack height, you will know what total spacer height you will need. Then buy a set of spacers (3mm, 5mm, 10mm, etc) that you can combine to get close to your stack height.

4) Total spacer height under the stem should be less than 40mm.

5) Always leave a 3mm gap between top of steering tube and top cap. Take a look at the photo below.

stemspacer.png

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I got some 5mm and 10mm spacers yesterday. The bike feels completely different. Before I get a new stem I'm gonna try out this one on different configurations.

Is this stem cap safe enough to use on spacers?
20231009_174223.jpg

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
The top flange on a top cap is usually flat not wedge shaped, I'm guessing it is that shape because of the shape of the top of the stem, I assume the thick side faces forward? If so the flat mating surface on top is recessed and you'll need a suitable spacer (not one of the wide ones) underneath or it will load the headset bearing unevenly. If that works then the cap should be fine but might look a bit odd.

I would go for a longer stem too if it feels too short, stems are pretty cheap. FWIW I'm 5' 6½" and find the 70mm stem on my small frame Urrun (reach is 395) too short but the internal cable routing goes through the stem and Orbea don't make a longer alternative I'm a bit stuck.

Last edited:

Bestak CZ

Dec 26, 2021
Czechia
Hello, I have two Haibikes and I put longer stems on both of them. This Haibike stem doesn't have the top seating surface perpendicular to the fork post, so the spacers above the stem won't seat straight with their entire bottom surface, it will flex and not have the needed strength, which is wrong. The stem cap has an inside diameter smaller than the inside diameter of the spacers, which makes it difficult to center the cap. Because of the cable I had to use a PRO Koryak Di2 stem

RiderOnTheStorm

Is this stem cap safe enough to use on spacers?
If you plan to use standard spacers, I'd suggest to get a stem with a flat top, and use a regular top cap. Basically use only compatible stem, spacers and top cap components.

Some time ago I fitted my Moterra with a new stem from Hope and used standard spacers and top cap from Wolftooth. Very happy with this setup.

Last edited:

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
Hello, I have two Haibikes and I put longer stems on both of them. This Haibike stem doesn't have the top seating surface perpendicular to the fork post, so the spacers above the stem won't seat straight with their entire bottom surface, it will flex and not have the needed strength, which is wrong. The stem cap has an inside diameter smaller than the inside diameter of the spacers, which makes it difficult to center the cap. Because of the cable I had to use a PRO Koryak Di2 stem
Good point, I suspect the top seating surface on the OP's stem is flat and parallel to the bottom (why would it not be?) but is recessed which is why the top cap is wedge shaped, to fill the recess neatly. If a spacer won't fit in the recess then, obviously, you can't flip the stem as it won't seat correctly. The top cap is there to preload the headset bearings and once the clamp bolts are done up tight should not really be necessary. That said I still wouldn't ride without one.

Just to make it clear I was suggesting trying inverting the stem to test the riding position not as a permanent solution.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles